What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis and Crohns or any IBD

Jordan237

Hey guys,

So I’ve recently in the past year been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, I’ve been a smoker and grower for over a decade but wondered if there’s any members that have crohns/IBD or have helped anyone with those issues and have found the best strains or methods of using cannabis to help with the side affects or general health issues when dealing with IDB’s?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, much love🙏🏼💚

Cactus Squatter

I remember reading somewhere about using fresh leaves in juicing/smoothies for crohn’s. You might look into that. Not sure if it was this forum or elsewhere though.

I wouldn’t wish that crap on anybody and wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

Jordan237

I remember reading somewhere about using fresh leaves in juicing/smoothies for crohn’s. You might look into that. Not sure if it was this forum or elsewhere though.

I wouldn’t wish that crap on anybody and wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.
Sweet thanks man I’ll look into it thanks for your help very much appreciated🙏🏼💚

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
I prefer heavy indica's (OG`s, Cookies) as they help relax my body which helps with the cramping. Also anything that gives good munchies as I have no appetite. Wish edibles worked for me but they don't so I use a volcano vaporizer as my main source to consume. I also like to dab rosin for some all natural extra medication. Good luck with your health this disease sucks.

NEED 4 SEED

I was a daily cannabis user for the last 30 years and was diagnosed with ibd and ulcerative colitis after 3 years of cannabis... and by using some daily mesalazine (5-asa) I have had my symptoms more or less under control but they completely disappear when I stop smoking cannabis to the point where i dont need the mesalazine. But that's a problem for my depression and back pain and stuff. Some strains are worse than others for my bowel and I wonder if there is a strain that can handle my depressions and pain without hurting my bowel.
At least I haven't found it yet.
So for me it is certain that cannabis at least in my case is a factor for triggering these diseases. I know many don't want to hear this, especially in a weed culture forum but for me it's a fact by now. Smoking the weed with a little tobacco isn't triggering it that much as when using it pure/vaping and also smoking hash from a broad mixture of plants is less harmful for me versus smoking single plant material. Those are my observations over the years.
Have you ever stopped using cannabis in those years with crohn and ibd to check if it's more cause than remedy?

NEED 4 SEED

Another bad side effect of weed is the munchies. Eating chocolate and too much other stuff all day or late night, overweight and not moving a lot is definitely bad for my bowel.
I know the munchies help cancer people though. It helped my father, that's a fact.

Jordan237

Thanks for your observations I’ll potentially try and reduce my intake see if it helps but I’d rather be medicated and put up with it a bit than be sober and uncomfortable.. I haven’t tried completely smoking no but I also only smoke cannabis I don’t mix with tobacco I hate the stuff.. I’m currently getting the infusions which do help a fair bit I’m actually having my 4th one tomorrow and was given Octasa to take daily which do seem to help but I’m not a fan of taking pharmaceuticals so would like to try find other sources but for now I’ll keep with it until I get into ‘remission’ as I can’t go back up spending hours a day on the toilet and was wasting away due to not being able to absorb nutrients quick enough before everything went through me😞 I have found some relief with smoking cbd rich strains and come cookie strains particularly MAC as it helps with the uncomfortableness and it’s mellow enough to function all day but I’m pretty much out of the mac now😕
I’m quite lucky I don’t get the munchies and stick to a healthy diet as well as intermittent fast which I’ve found helps a lot as well.. if you haven’t tried intermittent fasting I highly recommend it🙌🏼 hope they come up with an actual cure at some point so we all don’t have to suffer🙏🏼

Jordan237

I prefer heavy indica's (OG`s, Cookies) as they help relax my body which helps with the cramping. Also anything that gives good munchies as I have no appetite. Wish edibles worked for me but they don't so I use a volcano vaporizer as my main source to consume. I also like to dab rosin for some all natural extra medication. Good luck with your health this disease sucks.
I not long bought a volcano and was using it more than rolling up at first but I can’t seem to figure out how to not absolutely cabbage myself😑 what temp do you use yours at? I also probably shouldn’t smoke it at various temps and finish 3 bags to myself that may also be an issue😅

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
I not long bought a volcano and was using it more than rolling up at first but I can’t seem to figure out how to not absolutely cabbage myself😑 what temp do you use yours at? I also probably shouldn’t smoke it at various temps and finish 3 bags to myself that may also be an issue😅
I always take 3 extra large bags. First 2 I run at 6-6 1/2 then regrind and run 1 at 7 1/2. Just had an infusion yesterday (inflectra) and take mercaptopurine and allopurinol daily. Have lost @5 feet of small intestine so far but supposedly in remission currently. Good luck

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I was a daily cannabis user for the last 30 years and was diagnosed with ibd and ulcerative colitis after 3 years of cannabis... and by using some daily mesalazine (5-asa) I have had my symptoms more or less under control but they completely disappear when I stop smoking cannabis to the point where i dont need the mesalazine. But that's a problem for my depression and back pain and stuff. Some strains are worse than others for my bowel and I wonder if there is a strain that can handle my depressions and pain without hurting my bowel.
At least I haven't found it yet.
So for me it is certain that cannabis at least in my case is a factor for triggering these diseases. I know many don't want to hear this, especially in a weed culture forum but for me it's a fact by now. Smoking the weed with a little tobacco isn't triggering it that much as when using it pure/vaping and also smoking hash from a broad mixture of plants is less harmful for me versus smoking single plant material. Those are my observations over the years.
Have you ever stopped using cannabis in those years with crohn and ibd to check if it's more cause than remedy?
Have you tried neem/azadirachtin free cannabis? They're 'Organic' pesticides, so if it's the problem then you'll likely have had worse issues with many organically grown sources of cannabis. Did/do you use neem/azadirachtin on your own plants?

I have a number of digestive issues which completely disappear when I use cannabis which is free of neem/
azadirachtin. Neem seed meal is another widely used source of azadirachtin in organic grows.

Not the case? I'd be very interested in much more detailed descriptions of how and where your cannabis has been grown the last 30 years.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
A Lebanese variety or perhaps Beldia from Morocco due the ratio THC:CBD 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 not an option?
I knew some people who had benefits from using Frankincense capsules, standarised for a certain amount of AKBA.

Guava

Hey guys,

So I’ve recently in the past year been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, I’ve been a smoker and grower for over a decade but wondered if there’s any members that have crohns/IBD or have helped anyone with those issues and have found the best strains or methods of using cannabis to help with the side affects or general health issues when dealing with IDB’s?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, much love🙏🏼💚
Don't know what to say regarding an alleged (could very well be) Crohn's diagnoses but you want to get your gut biome healthy. Plain yogurt, not the garbage that has more sugar than a candy bar, fermented foods such as sour kraut, kimchi or raw kombucha(GT's) are helpful. Also gentle fiber from apples , bananas and leafy greens and some nuts are beneficial. Stay away from the night shade plants (potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant, especially the skin) as well as beans (if you must, boil very well) and most grains (again, some worse than others in this regard. Why, because all of the above have lectins which act as microscopic razorblades as they tumble through your intestines and thought to cause leaky gut.

So, try to stay away from breads loaded with seeds and multi grain. The ancient civilizations all eat bread that has been striped of the wheat germ/bran/husk for a reason. It appears that in the 70's some of the big conglomerates fired up the marketing department to give value to all germ/bran/husk laying around after initial processing and voila sticks and branches fiber to blowout all the caked up shit lining your intestines. The lining of your intestines is no thicker than a cell wall to efficiently absorb the nutrients from food.

Also, consider Moringa powder as a nutrient loaded laxative when you feel like you have rot gut from too much sugar, bad mix of foods, bad habits, etc. I don't know if anyone would recommend this but I found when I double the suggested use (about 2 HEAPING tablespoons in about 12 onces of water) I would COMPLETELY flush my body and I mean COMPLETELY. It's a total reset man. Give it a try. All the best-

• Love
Reactions: Gry

NEED 4 SEED

Have you tried neem/azadirachtin free cannabis? They're 'Organic' pesticides, so if it's the problem then you'll likely have had worse issues with many organically grown sources of cannabis. Did/do you use neem/azadirachtin on your own plants?

I have a number of digestive issues which completely disappear when I use cannabis which is free of neem/
azadirachtin. Neem seed meal is another widely used source of azadirachtin in organic grows.

Not the case? I'd be very interested in much more detailed descriptions of how and where your cannabis has been grown the last 30 years.
Yeah I saw you already posting your experiences with neem but I can't remember if I ever used this at all. Maybe only once more than 10 years ago. Other than that I am only using pyrethrine stuff in early vegetation state to fight thrips which are almost always there. My colon problems first appeared in 1996 when I was in some kind of psychological stress situation including lovesickness, taking xtc and smoking way more than usual. Next time was about one and a half year later when I took cocaine and alcohol in a similar situation. After recovering I was able to smoke weed again on a daily basis for many many years and never had issues until 2013 when I went through another big stress situation which involved the afore-mentioned factors but also being in a post opioid addiction situation and living in a flat which was probably contaminated with wood preserving agents when the colitis came back and my colon was never the same again. I have tried to grow my own weed again to get control over what I was smoking but it didn't help. It's a permanent balancing between psychological wellness and bowel problems. I also have another symptom that arises when I smoke too much plus having psychological problems like suppressed fears and that is some kind of skin rash but only on my left foot. All this goes away when I quit weed, but I love weed and I live weed...WTF!

NEED 4 SEED

So all in all there's a psychological component in my situation that worsens the body symptoms but stopping weed cures the body symptoms but makes me feeling somehow empty without it. Weed kills my boredom, makes me enjoy music, kills heartache and loneliness.

NEED 4 SEED

So what can I tell more about my weed apart from not using neem but pyrethroid instead? I grew in different places indoor and outdoor which made no difference.

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting but not much help. Hrmmm...
When you are stressed and/or toking, are there any foods you eat then you would normally skip?

Our food supply is horribly polluted and hospitals are full of the results of eating it ignorantly. Your foods should not have oils in it other than olive (or coconut if you're the O blood type), and definitely be free of non-food/synthetic ingredients. This includes 'natural flavor,' due to the legal definition allowing such a huge number of different chemicals.

NEED 4 SEED

Interesting but not much help. Hrmmm...
When you are stressed and/or toking, are there any foods you eat then you would normally skip?

Our food supply is horribly polluted and hospitals are full of the results of eating it ignorantly. Your foods should not have oils in it other than olive (or coconut if you're the O blood type), and definitely be free of non-food/synthetic ingredients. This includes 'natural flavor,' due to the legal definition allowing such a huge number of different chemicals.
Well i try to not to use pre-made food where I dont have control over the ingredients and where I can i buy organic food. But in todays world its pretty hard to have control over everything. What I already wrote: when smoking weed I eat a lot of chocolate or other stuff and that very often late at night. Which looks like this: I smoke, then take a nap, wake up get the munchies and go to bed right after eating, which is a really bad habit, i know. I also have sometimes problems with the weed itself, getting slight panic attacks, and then I go for a walk which really helps with it. But when I don't smoke I go walking more often , which is probably a good thing in itself. So I am more active without weed and I loose weight, that's good. I also thought I am sensitive to bread and gluten but in weed free times I can eat all that, every day. So I really tried to sort every possible thing out during the last 10 years but it always reduces to weed alone and those other factors only play a role in weed smoking times when they are modulating the intensity of the symptoms.

Jordan237

Don't know what to say regarding an alleged (could very well be) Crohn's diagnoses but you want to get your gut biome healthy. Plain yogurt, not the garbage that has more sugar than a candy bar, fermented foods such as sour kraut, kimchi or raw kombucha(GT's) are helpful. Also gentle fiber from apples , bananas and leafy greens and some nuts are beneficial. Stay away from the night shade plants (potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant, especially the skin) as well as beans (if you must, boil very well) and most grains (again, some worse than others in this regard. Why, because all of the above have lectins which act as microscopic razorblades as they tumble through your intestines and thought to cause leaky gut.

So, try to stay away from breads loaded with seeds and multi grain. The ancient civilizations all eat bread that has been striped of the wheat germ/bran/husk for a reason. It appears that in the 70's some of the big conglomerates fired up the marketing department to give value to all germ/bran/husk laying around after initial processing and voila sticks and branches fiber to blowout all the caked up shit lining your intestines. The lining of your intestines is no thicker than a cell wall to efficiently absorb the nutrients from food.

Also, consider Moringa powder as a nutrient loaded laxative when you feel like you have rot gut from too much sugar, bad mix of foods, bad habits, etc. I don't know if anyone would recommend this but I found when I double the suggested use (about 2 HEAPING tablespoons in about 12 onces of water) I would COMPLETELY flush my body and I mean COMPLETELY. It's a total reset man. Give it a try. All the best-
It’s definitely Crohn’s I am the 5/6th person on both sides of my family to now have it and by the looks of it potentially my brother as well now… unfortunately looks like my family just has the genetic disposition for it😑
At the moment I’m on a very restricted diet and it’s working pretty well not having much issues but I’m missing fruit and vegetables so much but I’m slowly introducing them bit by bit and soon hopefully have a full diet back🤞🏼
Thanks for the knowledgeable advice I shall try to implement a few of your suggestions.. I probably won’t be trying the moringa though as after suffering with constant diarrhoea for 8 months before getting treatment I’m just happy to be back having solid bowel movements again🙌🏼😅

Jordan237

So all in all there's a psychological component in my situation that worsens the body symptoms but stopping weed cures the body symptoms but makes me feeling somehow empty without it. Weed kills my boredom, makes me enjoy music, kills heartache and loneliness.
Stress is the biggest factor for me and is what kicked off my crohns to begin with as I work a very stressful job working as a support worker looking after 16-18 year old lads that are mostly on bail for serious offences so I am constantly on guard and with the lad I was working with at the time was on constant fight or flight mode.. realistically I need to find a less stressful form of income tbh.. once I have pretty much zero to no stress in my life I forget I have it tbh👌🏼😅

I also tried your suggestion of not smoking/cutting right back in smoking doesn’t work for me at all being medicated pretty much 24/7 definitely helps a lot more🙌🏼

Douglas.Curtis

On a non-cannabis angle, Polysorbate-60 and Polysorbate-80 are known to weaken the bond between cells. In the gut this causes leaky gut which increases chrons and Ibs issues. It works on the blood brain barrier to allow toxins and cancer cells through.

It's in vitamins, shampoo and soaps, ice creams, sauces, dairy products, drinks and more. The crap is everywhere and in almost everything.

It also causes mood instability and logic issues, which I believe contributes HEAVILY to the number of Karen's in the population.

Basically, and especially if you have digestion issues, I strongly recommend avoiding those substances. You'll have a much better life. ;)