What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you use a Female Cat to "Anchor" a Male Cat ?

St. Phatty

I want to get a companion cat for my cat, partially because he has so much energy and tries to play with me as if I were a cat.

Since I am not a cat, I thought it might work better if he had a cat to play with.

Also I want to limit his range as much as possible because I am dealing with predators, both animal and human.

Giving a male cat a female cat as a companion, to somehow encourage the male cat to stay closer to home - is that realistic thinking ?

I thought a female cat will tend to stay closer to home.

And then the male will try and stay close to her.

Especially if she is in heat. However that doesn't last very long.

Does a male cat bond more emotionally with a cat that he has sex with, in addition to being his daily companion ?

Again, "bond more emotionally" as in, he wants to stay close to her.

attachment.php

Cat co-habiting with Silkie. The bird weighs 1/2 pound, the cat weighs 8 1/2 pounds.

He is eating 8 ounces of raw beef heart a day, in addition to 1 can of cat food and a small amount of kibble.

When I was younger exercise gave me a very drug like rush. I would swim for 3 hours - usually after eating a cannabis cookie - because of the quality rush.

I figure running around the country-side, up and down the hills, gives the cats a similar rush. I just want to find a way to encourage them to limit their range.

Attachments

• kitty-cat.jpg
    kitty-cat.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 54
T

Teddybrae

Hiya Phatty ...

Mate, here I think you are trying to push poo up hill with a wire mesh shovel.

I really don't think a cat's roaming can be predicted.

If the male cat is anything like me, then after I having sex with your female cat the male will take itself off to another place in the hope of finding another female cat. Just like a male cat, I am ready to have sex with anything female all the time (although I prefer my own human kind).

I 'm sorry about this, I think, but the God of Mammals made me this way ...

TheDarkStorm

Male cats are very hard to control unless neutered...I hate the idea myself but is seems like the only way to deal with the behaviours you have concerns with...I have seen having a female does help to some degree...but cats..especially males are so unpredictable...he looks like a handsome fellow....ther very inquisitive and full of energy wen younger..itl tail off as he getts older...but he will still go were he wants..looking for females, territory, food and of course to exert his dominance..this behavior is controled to some degree by my first suggestion...anyway good luck to you both.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I want to get a companion cat for my cat, partially because he has so much energy and tries to play with me as if I were a cat.

Since I am not a cat, I thought it might work better if he had a cat to play with.

Also I want to limit his range as much as possible because I am dealing with predators, both animal and human.

Giving a male cat a female cat as a companion, to somehow encourage the male cat to stay closer to home - is that realistic thinking ?

Does a male cat bond more emotionally with a cat that he has sex with, in addition to being his daily companion ?

View Image

Cat co-habiting with Silkie. The bird weighs 1/2 pound, the cat weighs 8 1/2 pounds.

He is eating 8 ounces of raw beef heart a day, in addition to 1 can of cat food and a small amount of kibble.

When I was younger exercise gave me a very drug like rush. I would swim for 3 hours - usually after eating a cannabis cookie - because of the quality rush.

I figure running around the country-side, up and down the hills, gives the cats a similar rush. I just want to find a way to encourage them to limit their range.
HaHa! You're going to try to out think a cat? HA! :biggrin: You can trick plant into bloom, yes, it's in the plant dna but try to out think a cat?! You just have to get lucky. With cats, it's the alpha cat that wins. I have 2 females, step sisters. The bigger one (looks like a male big) is 6 months younger than the smaller one but the smaller one is the alpha. And with cats the new one might not like the other and keep the other away or the new one could run away... they're cats, non-predictorial

My wife wont let them out, no predator problems. Here the predators would be alligators, eagles, hawks, animal control and automobiles (no, I dont live in the city or the country). So I guess I'm just talkin'. Good luck SP.

P

pongster

View Image

* if the male is not neutered, then i can't see how this could be a good idea. you know, cat courting and coitus is a very loud and ... fight--like event...
* when he is finished it's very likely that he will try to kick the female out or he will leave.

Male cats are very hard to control unless neutered...I hate the idea myself but is seems like the only way to deal with the behaviours you have concerns with...I have seen having a female does help to some degree...but cats..especially males are so unpredictable...he looks like a handsome fellow....ther very inquisitive and full of energy wen younger..itl tail off as he getts older...but he will still go were he wants..looking for females, territory, food and of course to exert his dominance..this behavior is controled to some degree by my first suggestion...anyway good luck to you both.

if he is not neutered, then he will go on nature's call... unless injured or hungry, then will come back to you. that is nature and one needs to accept it.

maybe you'd like a dog instead. i heard they sell these tyrion lannister kind of dogs now...

can't force a cat to be a dog

comes from a cat-dog guy for almost 4 decades =)

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my experience, the only way to keep a cat from roaming is to never let it outside.

If you want them to have a bit of freedom, build them an outdoor enclosure with an enclosed walkway that leads from your house.

Like these - Click me

E

ESTERCHASER

one of the few that when abandoned go feral and can survive on their own! Your not doing the cat any favors letting him go outside and exposing him to predators of human nature....humans can be grimey (baiting cats with poison) australia hates cats cause the fukers are literally eating their native species out of house and habitat!
If you love him get him inside, fix him and get him a companion to smash around when he is bored and vice versa.

St. Phatty

In my experience, the only way to keep a cat from roaming is to never let it outside.

If you want them to have a bit of freedom, build them an outdoor enclosure with an enclosed walkway that leads from your house.

One of my neighbors was in the middle of a 2 dog massacre.

His idiot brother shot another neighbor's dog for getting into his garbage.

This is in a forest like Yellowstone, but not so many bears.

Then the other neighbor shot the idiot brother's dog.

Turns out it did make the news, though it happened about 12 years ago. Met someone in the hot tub at the Y who knew all about the incident.

In any case it certainly did cast a dark shadow over the neighborhood.

Fortunately, the idiot brother died in 2011 - about the same month I bought the neighboring property.

The other dog shooter is 72 or 73 and appears to have lost his driving privileges. He has a very distinctive old pickup with a crane in the back.

Anyway, the remaining brother (of the late cruel idiot dog shooter) somehow inherited 2 bobcat-cheetah crosses, some exotic cat cross. He built a cage for them. His cats are the size of house-cats.

Im'One

Cut his nut off and he will settle down some. As we say in Oklahoma my cat used to be a redneck but I got him"fixed"

E

ESTERCHASER

Turns out it did make the news, though it happened about 12 years ago. Met someone in the hot tub at the Y who knew all about the incident.

Fortunately, the idiot brother died in 2011 - about the same month I bought the neighboring property.

The other dog shooter is 72 or 73 and appears to have lost his driving privileges. He has a very distinctive old pickup with a crane in the back.

Anyway, the remaining brother (of the late cruel idiot dog shooter) somehow inherited 2 bobcat-cheetah crosses, some exotic cat cross. He built a cage for them. His cats are the size of house-cats.

someone shoots my dog they forfeit their lives! just saying im that attached!

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Are they Savannah's or Bengal's possibly? I'd love to have either one after my current ones pass, but they are full of energy and will destroy a house when bored.

St. Phatty

Are they Savannah's or Bengal's possibly? I'd love to have either one after my current ones pass, but they are full of energy and will destroy a house when bored.

I don't know.

They are about the same size as regular medium large house-cats.

Maybe 12 pounds.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
neuter a male cat, and he will still go out & roam around. i guess they are like Green Berets, out giving advice to those in the fight.:) females will roam too, even if fixed, just because they are (were?) the hunters. never had a male cat of mine kill anything. females don't fuck around...

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A med house cat doesn't/shouldn't weigh 12#

My big boy weighs 13.86 lbs, and is nothing but muscle.

But I'm pretty sure there's a Maine Coon somewhere in his heritage.

His sister? Fat little bitch who hates everyone but me. :D

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
My big boy weighs 13.86 lbs, and is nothing but muscle.

But I'm pretty sure there's a Maine Coon somewhere in his heritage.

His sister? Fat little bitch who hates everyone but me. :D
True that :) However, he stated a "regular" house cat which is a generalized statement. We both know there are exceptions to this and, not necessarily obese cats either. :tiphat:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
It would probably be best to keep kitty indoors. My buddies old cat was awesome... It would follow you anywhere. We would go fishing late at night and it would follow us the whole way there, play in the field while we did our thing and then follow back home again. It had a bad habit of laying out in the road at night in front of his house and rolling around like an idiot. It was eventually hit and killed by a car pulling that little stunt.

Want to anchor a male cat? Get him to a good vet and give him the ol' snip-snip. Having an unneutered tom around can be quite a handful. Had one growing up that pissed on everything and I mean EVERYTHING! That cat was born to spray... :kitty:

Get him a pimped out cat tree, start a catnip garden with him, throw some chain mail on that chicken and watch him go ape shit. I'm sure he'll settle with a little "hormone therapy" and some good entertainment.