What's new

Can you stop and start the curing process?

Here is a quandry:

If you were two weeks into the curing process and had to go on Christmas vacation could you vacuum seal the buds in the jars----hereby suspending the cure---then whe you got back a week or so later, open the jars and proceed, leaving them open an hour each day ion the dark and then resealing them...in other words can you just stop and start the curing process.

I've got buds that are like 8 months old vaccuum sealed in my fridge...they look better now then ever,,,they got even more cyrstally and stinky, does this mean they are still curing?

G

You can only store them if the bud is completely dry. If there not you may risk having them mold. Hope this helps. peace

full time daddy
Veteran
if your 2 weeks into curing why would you open the jar's?

when i cure i leave them closed.

but i do make sure my bud are 100% dry befor i put them in to jars.

to suspending the cure i just dont think it can be done?

G

Okay, this is more a personal smoker's thing, how old they want their bud to be.

Then I am sure alot of opinion's about when is bud dry, how long does curing take, and what is best to be done.

I have found most bud to be at it's peak with a 30 day cure. Some hang dry and cure at the same time and then jar it until it is smoked. Some will let the bud's get down to about 3% moisture content and then jar it, but it need's aired daily for a week or so and then aired every few day's for a few more week's.

If your bud is almost dry and curred a few week's, well vacum seal it and store in a dark cool place and it will not mold. Some like moist bud to be sealed and put in the freezer for storage.

What I have found work's best, is try what is in your mind, see what happen's with a little, then you know what to do with the rest.

I would think any bud can be put in a vacum sealed bag and store it in the freezer wet, taken out thawed, and then dried and cured. I see a test comming on next harvest.

stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

I was under the opinion that jar curing involved the opening of the jar once a day for about an hour. At least that is what I've been doing.

What I meant from this is post is this---I have to go out of town for Christmas. I will be cutting my plants in a couple of days, then hanging for a week. Then I will be jarring buds and opening them for an hour a day until I have to leave town. While I am out of town there will be no one to open and close jars.

I thought that if you don't open and close jars the moisture that is left could mold the buds.

full time daddy
Veteran
yes it can mold the bud's

so will sealing them up why you are gone.

just make sure that the buds are dry befor you put them in the jar.

the only reason you open and close from my under standing it if they might still be wet.
puting the bud in a jar make the wetness come out to the out sides

yes alot of time's ppl put there buds in the jars still 40% wet becuz the outside fell's and looks dry.

if the stem dont snap its not dry.

just make sure its dry when you leave for out of town.

a week is sumtimes not long enuff to dry ;) or is to long
ie. the size of the bud, is it airy bud or really hard nugs what temps is it being dryed at. theres a lot of thing to put in to play when drying.
1 week is no way to say if it well be dry or a crispy nug.

dry/curing take's a lil time to master. good luck and hopes it come out best for you