What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can these seedlings be saved?

EOE

So what do you think? I planted both of these seeds almost three weeks ago. ​The smallest plant, Holly, has been sluggish from the beginning taking about three days longer to germinate than Gwyneth, the larger plant. I used MiracleGro Seed Starting potting mix. They're in a grow tent which I've been struggling with. The lights are about 13" overhead and on an 18-6 schedule.The temps have ranged from 60 to 80 degrees and the humidity levels are anywhere between 50 and 80. There's a small fan blowing. I've bottom-watered them only three times. Will they outgrow this funky phase? Or are they already a fail?

HOLLY almost 3 weeks.jpg
Gwyneth almost 3 weeks.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
water them well from the top, perhaps repot them, make sure the new pot is full of soil. they don't look good but sure they can be saved.

So you’re keeping them from about 3 weeks and you’ve watered them for three times… hm. Maybe you just let them too dry.

EastCoastGambit

I cant weigh in completely but I've heard Miracle grow products are not the best for MJ in general. I agree with top watering, water the soil completely then let it almost dry out again before re watering. The one on the left appears like you topped it already? Anyways I'd give them a good drink until water runs out the bottom. Also make sure you are not using chlorinated water.

EOE

I just watered both plants yesterday. Should I wait for them to dry out before top watering as suggested? Was hoping to repot when they hit four weeks. Do they look ready for reporting at only 3 weeks?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Miracle-Gro Seed Starting mix is used for starting seeds and then up-potting into reg potting soil. You didn't up-pot and are still in seed sprouting potting mix and your plants are suffering for that reason. Sprout the seeds in starting mix then move them to a quality potting mix. You did well, you just need to make the transition to a pot of reg. potting mix. Don't give up on the plants you have, transplant them, but I would also start some more seeds and try again at the same time. I only sprout seeds in good organic potting mixs. Go to propagation forum SureFire seed starting if you want to learn more. . 😎

Attachments

• photo2105966.jpg
    photo2105966.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 50
  • photo2107132.jpg
    photo2107132.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2107928.jpg
    photo2107928.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2120230.jpg
    photo2120230.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 48

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
remember that dry soil is useless to plants... roots can only live and function in damp or wet soil. so any soil that is dry in the pot is pointless really. Also don;t set some arbitrary time for repot in your head and then watch your plants suffer.. react to what they tell you.. and they are telling you they are hungry, hence the fading of the leaves.
VG

waveguide

Veteran
can't really tell what you've got from pic but retail potting soils can really suck, plant murdering pH problems et c., and get worse as the years go by. some brands seem to consist of nothing but plywood and tarps fed through a chipper.

i can see a few fibers that look like some peat moss made it into the mix, and an obligatory piece of perlite.

bottom watering is a good strategy for root growth but if that soil is really dense, amending it from the top could finish them off.

as you know, roots need air as much as water. compressed soil is harder to grow roots through than loose soil. if you work in a nursery and see a plant tear its roots through a mix heavy with perlite you'll see how effective keeping the medium airy is. you have to judge with what you've got there, and what you have available. those plants could look pretty good in a couple of weeks if they have some good feet.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Your light is too intense and or the dryness issue. What type of light are they under? Spring Water in a spray bottle will work wonders for stressed plants in Veg. Misting helps counteract LED intensity stress.

EOE

Thanks everyone for such good advice. I feel better knowing that all is not lost. I’ve got the soil to repot these babies but it’s so loaded with nutes, I’m afraid they may still be too young. I’m going to pray over them and hold off until next weekend to repot them when they’re officially four weeks old, as advised.