What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can spider mites transmit HLVD through generations?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Obviously it can be directly transmitted, but what about through eggs. After losing 11 high end clones, a year and electricity plus time from Bens nursery clones insanely resistant spider mites, just wondering if anyone knows about this possibility?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Loc Dog. The only clones that are really safe are the ones that come from highly controlled standards and still be a little risky. The best way I know to get safe clones is from the seed plants I grew myself from the breeder. I never take any clones from anyone period. I am sure there a good clones out there but I don't buy them. Losing $200 for 4 clones X 3 is a bitch not to mention the electricity and your time. I just buy seed and choose the best moms for your self friend. 😎

Loc Dog

Veteran
Think you need to take a 2 week break from growing and clean everything very good.
People that have the worst pest issues grow crop after crop with no breaks which only
allows pests a paradise to infect non stop.
Been over a month, and going to start in basement which has not seen veg plants in 8 months. PO just misdelivered new clones.

Ca++

Been over a month, and going to start in basement which has not seen veg plants in 8 months.
Excellent. Get it up to temperature to hatch everything, then hit it with a greenhouse cleaner if possible. With special attention to any gaps.

Loc Dog

Veteran
If I had 3 lifetimes, massive greenihouse, tons of money, an honest government, I might run across plants as good as what I lost. Somewhere I have a printout of every cannabis trait and thousands of combinations possible within one strain, so like playing lotto. What finally killed the spider mites from hell was Venerate which prevents molting but does not kill adults. Now that I am starting over from scratch, worried about HLVD and fusarium which can be transmitted through clippers. I think people are reluctant to leave negative reviews for someone that has their address. I once mentioned the source in another post, and 5 or 6 people messaged me that they also got them from him, and exact same plant they must love, Chemdawg #4. I had grown only GG4 for 8 years straight from MarrDogg, but got bored and wondered if anything was better. One great thing about GG4 is very resistant to mold. Had a few adjacent plants turn white from mold and never of GG4.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Excellent. Get it up to temperature to hatch everything, then hit it with a greenhouse cleaner if possible. With special attention to any gaps.
At the end when I was trying to save the mothers which all developed fusarium, I had 2 no pest strips in 5 X 5 tent for 5 days and they were still thriving. The one cut that survived I sprayed everyday for 2 weeks with soapy water still had a few, which finally died after a week or so of Venerate. Those rooms are about 85F and have lights on 24/7 since read dark can cause them to hibernate.

troutman

Seed Whore
If the pests are really bad you could possibly make a ring of diatomaceous earth
around the entire tent or grow area. Outdoors, I spray Malathion not on my plants,
but make a sprayed barrier a few feet wide around the entire garden. It may not be
100% effective and yet it sure tell the bugs they are not welcomed.

Loc Dog

Veteran
If the pests are really bad you could possibly make a ring of diatomaceous earth
around the entire tent or grow area. Outdoors, I spray Malathion not on my plants,
but make a sprayed barrier a few feet wide around the entire garden. It may not be
100% effective and yet it sure tell the bugs they are not welcomed.
I am going to treat everything like it is infected. Just got Gliiterbomb and White Truffle, plus the Fatso I saved. Any suggestion for Botrytis, which is what finished off all my mothers?? Heard every time you make a cut, it is a vector for it to get in. I top every 2 nodes and remove all branches under SCROG within 3 weeks of flowering. I have a UVC light, but that can not get everywhere a few spores may be hiding.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Avid did not work?
Is it safe??? Myclobutanil is safe for vegetables till day of harvest for edible plants,, but when heated over 400F it becomes hydrogen cyanide and not approved for tobacco. Avid is labelled for ornamentals.

Gone Camping

Is it safe??? Myclobutanil is safe for vegetables till day of harvest for edible plants,, but when heated over 400F it becomes hydrogen cyanide and not approved for tobacco. Avid is labelled for ornamentals.

God damn.. I have some Avid that a buddy sent for my last bout with mites. Glad I didn't end up using it.

Sorry to hear you lost it all..

Loc Dog

Veteran
God damn.. I have some Avid that a buddy sent for my last bout with mites. Glad I didn't end up using it.

Sorry to hear you lost it all..
Just to clarify, I have not researched Avid, but being labeled for ornamentals is red flag to research further. Point about myclobutanil which is in eagle-20, is that things safe for vegetables are not necessarily safe when burned. Since most is not certified for hemp/cannabis usually check to see if safe for tobacco. Another thing to look at is half lifes of the chemicals and/or what they break down to.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Obviously it can be directly transmitted, but what about through eggs. After losing 11 high end clones, a year and electricity plus time from Bens nursery clones insanely resistant spider mites, just wondering if anyone knows about this possibility?
Here is a meta to the question. If you have a problem with viruses, fungi or bacteria - introduce a huge number of beneficial bacteria to the plant.

If you sprout hempseeds into small greens, fill 1/5th of the container with it, pour in water with honey dissolved in it, put a fermentation lock on it, and within a week you'll have something that, sprayed at one cap per gallon, will:

- feed the plant
- feed the microbes and endophyitic fungi that live in the plant parts
- spray on beneficial, cannabis specific mycorrhizal fungi from the hempseeds
- coat the plant with a layer that is unattractive for pests
- spray off most pests with a persistent spray of 5 seconds per node

Also,

- it puts the thickest roots on clones I've ever seen, and also produces the healthiest clones

And on top of doing all these wonderful things, it's almost free. Just a bag of hempseeds from the bait shop, a $1,50 a piece fermentation lock from any beer or fermentation store, some organic honey from any supermarket, and an old container or bottle. I put a little H2O2 or hydrogen peroxide in the water that goes into the lock, to prevent any bacterial or algae growth.