What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can i put a gauge in a bottle jack for rosin press?

Title says it all. I just ordered a 3x7 caged setup from dabpress. Looking at 12 Ton hydraulic shop presses and the bottle jack setups are half the cost of the other style that have hand pumps with a gauge. Friend of mine says you can remove one of the plugs in the bottom of the bottle jack and thread in a gauge.

Anyone have any input?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Some bottle jacks are tapped for a gauge. Some are not. Even so, the gauges themselves are not cheap. You might have looked at one of the Dabpress setups that have gauged pumps.

I have been using Dabpress presses for a while and I don't believe the gauge is anything more than a toy. There is a learning curve with either but once you have your technique down, you'll get constant results, gauge or not.

As for "in-line" gauges, I don't know. I'll check.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on where the port is on the pump. You need a pressure gauge calibrated to at least 24,000 lbs, so unless it has a huge face is not going to be very accurate.

Probably not as accurate as just the tactile feel you develop from running it, which is how most operate.

If you are serious about developing a by the numbers process, I suggest using a transducer and an electronic gauge that you can actually read fine increments with.

EsterEssence

Veteran
My press has a 24000 psi gauge. If you go over 500-750 you have blowouts even if you use metal screen mesh it makes a mess, I do use it because my pump and ram are way overkill for the press...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Psyconaut and a couple other users over at fuckcombustion have the numbers (pressure, temperature and duration) pretty tight with the DabPress 10 ton unit with pump and gauge.

Still, the general consensus is that the gauge Mother Nature gave you in your hands and fingers works just great.