What's new

can i mix organic and chemical nutes

elito

im having major problems right now with slime on my roots,thats a form a bacteria/algea,after reading the whole thread on slime in the Cannabis Infirmary the only thing i can do to treat my plants is to populate the res with BB,but i checked all the stores here and they dont have any water soluble organic ferts,can i run my system on chemical fert. and still have the benefit of the BB

kindroyale

check the basics, water temps, medium temps, is light getting to the root zone? slime usually means your res is too warm.

elito

can anyone tell me can i make this work -populating BB and using chemical nutes,if so how do i feed the BB in the solution if they cant survive on the non organic fert.

H

HappyDog

If you think that is the answer you might find a simple fish based fertilizer at a hardware store.
Also Iv'e mixed chem with organics in the past but wanted better flavor and less chem for my risk and effort. My.02 HD.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so if your temps are in check you don't think it might be root rot?

Mr.Wags

elito

so if your temps are in check you don't think it might be root rot?

Mr.Wags

can root rot be slimy and white like a gel coating on the roots and on the walls of the res. and airstones,i took a sample of this shit to a university of biology and they told me its a fungus of some kind in a few days im expecting the results to determine what exactly is it,
does anyone know the composition of the EWC tea like what nutrients does it contain,i know its hard to determine couse every tea is different depending on the casting our using but is there some universal npk content

im using chemical nutes but after i got this slime probably the only way i can keep it away is tho colonize the roots with bb so i was quessing how does it work do i need to have organic fert. to keep the bb alive or can i still use chem nutes and have the benefit of the benes,i have very limited optiones here no organic water soluble nutes in the stores

the EWC might be adding a lot of organic matter in the res. the bad bacteria then take over and kill off the good bacteria... i would cut out the EWC and ust use a good quality hydro nute that should give you all the NPK you need... with a quality nutrient the EWC is kinda unnecessary and is gonna dirty up your res... try using 30% H2O2 that should kill off anything living in your res

wickedpete66

I agree with pirate. empty the rez and clean it with some water and h2o2. Stick with the chem nutes most are mineral; based anyway.

elito

i tryed that and it didnt work,h202 doesnt kill the slime,and it starts again,isnt GH floranova a mix of chem and organic nutes,is there a way i can keep the BB alive to fight off the slime and other nasty shit like that wile still using chemical nutes

bluntt

i tryed that and it didnt work,h202 doesnt kill the slime,and it starts again,isnt GH floranova a mix of chem and organic nutes,is there a way i can keep the BB alive to fight off the slime and other nasty shit like that wile still using chemical nutes
why didnt work

f i wana use ewc tea in my dwc and ebb and flow systems to populate the BB but im using chemical ferts,do i need to switch to organic completely or can i still use the same nutes just add the tea and some organic stuff like molasses or something else to feed the BB

By all means, you can do primarily salt-based fertilization and amend with organics. Or, you can rely mostly on the organic foods + microherd and then supplement with chemical "vitamins".

Applied to hempy buckets, I've found the former to be my liking. A slightly lower than usual EC of FloraNova takes care of the basics. Then regularly applied organic tea fills in all the "blanks" (where only nature gets the job done completely and) with little chance of burning. Here's what I bubble with an air stone in a 5 gal bucket:

earthworm castings
kelp meal
Floralicious Plus
humic acid
fulvic acid
coffee grinds
alfalfa pellets
fish emulsion
Great White (beneficial bacteria & mycorrhizae)

grow medium (top 3/5):
70% perlite
20% vermiculite
10% earthworm castings

grow medium (middle 1/5):
100% perlite

grow medium (bottom 1/5)
red lava rocks + air stone

The pH would often shoot up from ~5.8 to past 6.5 but with no ill-effect at all. Cutting back on the tea quantity would return it to the targeted 5.8 within a day or two. Water temperatures routinely fell between 78 - 70degF with lights on/off. Buckets were hand watered run to waste with ~15% run off.

Not only did my plants have super-healthy roots, but the grow medium was also very alive. At harvest time I'd routinely find fat earthworms thriving down in there with evidence of fungal hyphae, too. The worms now live outside in my soil garden. I hope they're happy!

Result: The dried and cured bud's aroma was somewhat more dank than when grown with synthetic nutes alone. Flavor was more complex. It all burns to a nice gray/white ash. :smokeit:

Next step: Hempy buckets are non-automated and are ideal for a small scale grow. However, now I'm upping the ante in a larger space. So, it'll be an Ebb & Grow bucket system with 100% hydroton. The 55gal drum will have an air stone bubbling 24/7 and I'll top it off with strained/filtered tea instead of plain water. In the hempy set up there was an active bio "food factory" sustained in the root zone. Now the tea will mostly just be pre-digested organics ready for the plant to absorb. Or, perhaps I'll get a living micro colony down there all over again. We'll see. :watchplant:

Last edited:

snipe420

Put a bio filter in the rez like in a fish tank the BB's will live on it and it will pull the slime to it and they will eat it or are some of it. The bb's can also be slimy this gives them a place to live this will take care of it. Sponge filters work well it takes 30 or so days for lots of bb's to live on the sponge for it to relay work well. Once its working just clean the sponge very very light each month or so never let it get dry or let it hit city water and it will live till the sponge goes to shit 3 years or so. BB's will live in the low ppm's we use yes, I have run sponges in my set ups for years. Now I hear AV nuts is saying to add a sponge .. LOL ,good luck hope it helps.

Latest posts

Latest posts