What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can anyone help point me in the right direction as to what going on with my plant

Growdo Baggins

I'll spend all night reading and researching but if I could get a little help or pointed in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Im growing in Fox farm ocean forest using Fox farm nutrients. They entered 12/12 3 weeks ago. I've been following their feed schedule. This didn't happen on any other grows using the same inputs.

It looks like rust on the outer edges of the leaves. Not down below but mid way up the plant. Here's some pics.
20221128_184834.jpg
20221128_184824.jpg
20221128_184815.jpg

Growdo Baggins

I would stop the nutes. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is formulated to grow cannabis. You are wasting money and maybe killing your plants.

I speak from experience.
I will definitely take that into consideration. I went about 8 weeks before I fed them, this time around. I potted up twice though. As soon as these nutes run out I'm on to living soil. To me it just makes the most sense. But I really like dirt. Thanks for the advice.

led05

Chasing The Present
Your plants leaf’s are showing us both K & Ca deficits, both are base cations and can / will push on one another… hard to say why but overly wet or an acidic medium (too much fertilizer) would impact both uptake negatively and be my first guesses

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
A very nice garden you have and nothing to worry about. You are experiencing a pH drop and that's causing the bronzing on your leaves. The fertilizer you are giving the plants is starting to build up in the soil and the excess salts are dropping the pH. You have everything you need in the soil, you just need to monitor your pH closer. 😎

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Happy Frog potting mix are mostly aged forest compost that has a neutral pH. After 30 days the potting mix needs fertilizer added regularly until the end of flowering. Since the age forest compost is neutral the acidic fertilizer will keep the soil pH lower for plants. The thing to remember is more fertilizer means lower pH whereas less fertilizer means higher pH. You want to keep a pH above 6.2 in the pot with Fox farms soils. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Wait until the watering day, then water your plant until the soil is saturated without any discharge out the bottom. Wait about an hour and then put 250 to 500ml of distilled water into the pot until you get some runoff. Catch the runoff, make sure your drain tray is clean and catch a sample for testing. When you test and get a reading you will need to do a little math to bring the pH back to the correct range. Let me know how it goes. 😎

Growdo Baggins

Wait until the watering day, then water your plant until the soil is saturated without any discharge out the bottom. Wait about an hour and then put 250 to 500ml of distilled water into the pot until you get some runoff. Catch the runoff, make sure your drain tray is clean and catch a sample for testing. When you test and get a reading you will need to do a little math to bring the pH back to the correct range. Let me know how it goes. 😎
Dang bro, you were absolutely right on. I've almost stopped trying to ask people for help on forums. I don't hold it against anyone who throws something out trying to help, but realistically its a slim chance that someone can take the little bit of info and pics I provide and pin point what's going on. But you certainly did. I ran some slurry tests last night with Distilled water and found my Bluelab pen is 2.0-2.5 high. The Distilled water came in at 9.1. But when I used the color drops it came in at 6.5-7. I'm going to read through your directions again. I am getting the same advice from the friend that basically made me do a slurry test. He told me to flush with 6.2 water until my ppm run off is around 1000.

I honestly wasn't even considering ph. I thought I got this fancy $100 ph meter, I'll prob only have to calibrate it once a year. It's only been 6 months! It's still a great meter, just operator error. Thank you so much. I will def be paying close attention to the things you post from here on out. Honestly when I read this the other day and saw you were a mentor I thought I really should listen to this guy, but I ph my water every time. There's no way it could be that.

X15

@Growdo Baggins i recommend calibrating you BL meter once a month or when the check marks go away on the pens display. (If you are using it) I’ve noticed my meters from blue lab creep, even with good cleanliness. So keep that baby clean and get to know it... soon you will only need to pull it out when you feel your ph is in question.

iTarzan

According to Blue Lab you never use the probe on distilled water. It can ruin the probe and won't be accurate on distilled water. You need to calibrate it with test fluid of ph7 and test fluid of ph4 or ph10.

Doing an isolated slurry test is not the same as a runoff test. Slurry can be isolated test and runoff is a better, more telling ph test.
Have you routinely been watering until some runoff?

Last edited:

Growdo Baggins

@Growdo Baggins i recommend calibrating you BL meter once a month or when the check marks go away on the pens display. (If you are using it) I’ve noticed my meters from blue lab creep, even with good cleanliness. So keep that baby clean and get to know it... soon you will only need to pull it out when you feel your ph is in question.
Thank you bro. I ordered a bottle each of 4 and 7 for calibrating. I never noticed the checks on there, I'm have to look next time. I use fulvic and I wonder sometimes if it leaves a coating. I rinse the pen off but just with tap water and wipe the outside. Then I'll fold a paper towel and dab the water off the glass sensor. I put a few of the storage drops in one a month or so. I'll keep up on the calibrating from now on. Thanks for the advice bro

Reactions: X15

Growdo Baggins

According to Blue Lab you never use the probe on distilled water. It can ruin the probe and won't be accurate on distilled water. You need to calibrate it with test fluid of ph7 and test fluid of ph4 or ph10.

Doing an isolated slurry test is not the same as a runoff test. Slurry can be isolated test and runoff is a better, more telling ph test.
Have you routinely been watering until some runoff?
I stop when I see run off. At this point I know it's a little more than a gallon will give me the smallest amount of run off. I was under the impression I didn't want run off. It's confusing bc I've read many different things and heard different things from different people. I had a hard time collecting accurate runoff when I was watering to get run off, that was last grow, which was my second grow, bc they're under a trellis net so the run off I suck out but stuff builds up so quickly on the tray that it messes with my readings. I'm referring to ppm though which I thought was important and may be in different circumstances, but never seemed to matter where I'm at. Then I started hearing a lot that I don't want run off with ff soil. So i stopped.

Where I'm at with the growing is next grow I'm going to purchase some kis organics biochar soil and some blumats. They'll teach me how to grow. They'll walk me through reading soil tests, amending after grows, blumat set up, basically everything I need to know about organic farming. I've had 3 successful grows with fox farm, they make it idiot proof, as long as you remember to calibrate your ph pen, but I want to learn organics and living soil and they seem like they're legit. Have you had any experience with them or have you heard good things?

X15

Thank you bro. I ordered a bottle each of 4 and 7 for calibrating. I never noticed the checks on there, I'm have to look next time. I use fulvic and I wonder sometimes if it leaves a coating. I rinse the pen off but just with tap water and wipe the outside. Then I'll fold a paper towel and dab the water off the glass sensor. I put a few of the storage drops in one a month or so. I'll keep up on the calibrating from now on. Thanks for the advice bro
Sweet bud seems like you got a nice system goin. I broke down and got one of their kits. Has solutions to store the probe and stuff to clean it. As well as cups for your calibration liquids. They are the perfect size so you don’t have to feel like you are wasting a lot to do a fast calibration. I use their soil probe model now though bc I feels it’s easier to keep clean. Works just fine with liquids and comes in handy for soil checks.

iTarzan

I am hoping to start a living soil myself grodo so I can't help you. I want to be able to reuse soil and only water during flowering or some organic amendments.