What's new

Campuses scramble to deal with medical marijuana

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Colorado students never had it so good, with dispensaries nearby offering medicated edibles and drinks as well as buds. Talk about the candy shop on the corner...almost wish I was still in school!

Across the street from the University of Colorado’s flagship campus in Boulder you’ll find Dr. Reefer, a small storefront bedecked in neon and an easily identifiable marijuana leaf.

Inside, the air is heavy with the pungent aroma of marijuana. “Bud tendress” Lauren Townsend, 21, explains to a visitor how some student customers buy cannabis-infused sodas or brownies so they can discreetly ingest the drug in the campus library while they study. She demonstrates how to hold the soda bottle so any reference to marijuana is obscured. Or, clients can buy the more typical form of marijuana to be smoked in the privacy of their own homes.

Within 500 feet there are three other medical marijuana dispensaries also targeting students, the maximum allowable in Boulder in that amount of space.

Other college towns in Colorado are experiencing a similar phenomenon, leaving campus officials scrambling to come up with policies on the budding use of medical marijuana by students – and, in some cases, staff. It’s no easy task considering ambiguities in the state’s ever-changing medical marijuana laws, threats of lawsuits by pro-pot advocates or cities attempting to set limits of their own. The Legislature is now considering a measure that would ban anyone under age 21 from entering a dispensary. There are about 100 dispensaries in Boulder and 1,000 statewide.

“We’re kind of ground zero for this right now,” said Meloni Rudolph, associate dean/student judicial officer at the Metropolitan State College of Denver. “In Colorado, with the dispensary thing, it’s such a J-curve right now.”

Mostly, campuses are clearly articulating that marijuana – medicinal or otherwise – is illegal under federal law and therefore illegal to possess or consume on any campus that receives federal dollars.

But that hasn’t stopped medical marijuana registry card-toting students from inquiring about using the drug in their dorm rooms or requesting that schools establish designated smoking rooms for them.

Marijuana citations spike at CU

CU-Boulder spokesman Bronson Hilliard said between 10 and 15 percent of students contacted by campus police for having marijuana present medical marijuana cards. CU is among many campuses that will exempt students with registry cards from the requirement that freshmen live on campus. So far, three students have been released from their housing contracts because of their desire to use medical marijuana.

“We will nullify the housing contract with no penalty,” said Hilliard, who sits on the campus’ alcohol and drug working committee.

One CU employee even inquired about using marijuana on the job.

“We know it’s a growing phenomenon,” Hilliard said. “We have to be clearer about the policy at CU from acceptance through orientation and move-in.”

In 2009, when CU-Boulder police officers first started seeing medical marijuana cards, there were 312 citations issued for the petty offense of possession of less than one ounce of marijuana, up from 166 in 2008, said CU-Boulder police spokeswoman Molly Bosley. Through March of this year, police have reported 78 marijuana possession cases. Some of the increase could be due to the availability of medical marijuana – but Bosley also noted that the department hired more officers during that time.

The Colorado School of Mines in Golden has fielded two requests from students who wanted to use medical marijuana in residence halls, said Rebecca Flintoft, director of auxiliary services and housing. Flintoft was prepared to let them out of the on-campus housing requirement but both students chose to stay and forego their medical marijuana – at least while on campus, she said.

More here.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
"At Fort Lewis College in Durango, authorities have yet to tweak campus policies to address medical marijuana. A recent student referendum calling for campus officials to treat marijuana offenses the same as those involving alcohol did not pass due to low voter turnout."

Fort Liquor,
Fort Loser,
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

Those are the guys who have to worry about the value of their Degree when they get out!

twiztidbudsmoke

dr. reefer is a fucking joke when i checked his shop, I dont care who the fuck you are or how bomb you think your hydro bullshit is, but bubba kush is not worth $35 a gram. All his bud was outragously priced for what it was I wont buy shit from him, I aint no student though he probabely makes a killing at those prices being where he is

Balazar

I went by that place after smoking in the quad on 420. They gave me free water but the prices were outrageous. When I went to CU there were a ton of rich east coast kids with so much of their parents money they didn't know what to do with it. I suppose this is what they are doing with it now lol.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I went by that place after smoking in the quad on 420. They gave me free water but the prices were outrageous. When I went to CU there were a ton of rich east coast kids with so much of their parents money they didn't know what to do with it. I suppose this is what they are doing with it now lol.

colleges are such goldmines...

35 a gram is fucking ridiculous damn.

i remember we used to smoke in our dorm rooms and we always got busted...so we ended up always just walking up into the forest to this special log with seats where everyone smoked..

Nickog

Dr. Reefer is a joke! He was run out of town from Las Vegas. His mother and brother are running his "should be illegal" business. They charge you over $550 ro get your MMJ card, when you just need to the call the state office and have them mail it to you for $50, fillit out yourself, go to your MD, get fingerprinted for $10,and send it in. Their bogus office makes you think that you can't do it yourself. He has been in jail many times. He is a true con artist and EVERYONE should boycott him. He shows no compassion, just in it for the money!:moon:

NUG-JUG

Dr. Reefer opened his shady as shit disp. right by me on Broadway and Evans. Then the motherfucker shut down like a couple weeks later..Dr. Creeper..

Rednick- Everyone I've ever known who went to that god-forsaken school has left with either a dui, a love-child with a dirty mountain chick, or neither just a bunch of F's on their report card..