What's new

Calle‘s Minigrow - Soma‘s AH F2 - Flowerday 36

Hasch

learning and laughing
maybe keep in mind, that you need holes for exhaust and intake of air. That could be a little tricky with the freezer. (especially if you take the freezer fluid into acount and where might it be located in the walls?)

If you place the exhaust system outside I would make sure to cover the hole (leading to the inline fan) with a the light mesh / screen.

To avoid hassle with the lines of freezer fluid but still keep it stealthy you could switch to a broken down fridge?
(Kleinanzeigen)

Ca++

It would get a bit DIY, but you really wouldn't need a 4" carbon set, for just 100w.

Perhaps someone knows of a smaller carbon?
I don't have pics, but used a 12v centrifugal fan aimed at computers once. I attached it to a tub of gravy. The kind of tub pringles might come in. I perforated both ends of this tub, and filled it with carbon. Giving me over the 50mm carbon depth required. I just hot glued the fan on. This gets the scale of ducting down to sink waste size. The whole thing gets cheap, small and quieter. It could live in the space the fridge motor usually occupies. Though you may want to chop out that part of the freezer entirely, to increase the floor area. I worked a fridge/freezer once, and it was a bit bothersome, that lost space, that was half the floor area. I was using a 250 with a 6" hole in the roof, so not the same. I chopped the two compartments, into one. However, with LED, I can picture a smaller top compartment as useful for things like the extract.

Ca++

Thank you for your opinion, it’s much value in it!

Do you think I can dim the carbon filter down ?
It depends how good the fan is, to begin with.
I didn't go past 60%, using a 100mm fan, to vent 140x140 through an 80mm solid duct.
That was the only fan, so was also pulling air into the tent, which pulled air from both the building, and through a second veg tent.
At ~50x50, your space is an 8th of that.

If you use the now typical 100mm mixed-flow fan, with LED controller, they turn down to ~25%. They are not good fans, but that is still double what you want at peak time. You will need to physically throttle it. However, with future scaling up, you might want to use that oversized fan. It will allow you to later do 100x100 with it. It's unlikely to do 120x120 though.

A 100mm fan&filter set, will be wider than the freezer. I'm not sure if that effects your stealth ideas. Perhaps a cardboard box on the freezer, that serves as an extension.

I would be filling a paint can with carbon, and using a 12 or 24v case blower, on a variable voltage supply. On a square meter, I was down to about 20w of fan power. This one is over 30w

I know twisting wires together isn't everyone's trade, so I'm just opening the door to the idea.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
I'm just opening the door to the idea

Wow thank you again! It’s really helpful overall :) Nice that you offer your time to open some doors for me!

I ordered today the FLUXshield 300 and a 100m3 carbon set and this one as well

IMG_6944.jpeg

And I am also thinking of building a smaller carbon filter by myself and store the other one for later :)

Maybe this could be used…

Cheers,

Last edited:

Ca++

The speed control looks like a variac. That looks like a good choice for the outgoing AC fans, that used to be the standard.

The RC fan isn't ideal, as it's a 4w mixed flow fan. It's also a bldc motor, so would need 3 phase external control gear.
Your choice of speed controller, leaves you looking at household and commercial AC mains powered fans. Things the EU has about outlawed in new builds, but are still what most places are selling. Their is an odd situation, where regs are now demanding EC fans, but there are slow to market, and expensive. House designers have opted to build tiny bathrooms that don't need a fan, rather than get to grips with the future, which is already all around them. It will be the next kids out of uni that start using fans in new builds again. Likely part of heat recovery units. Which the house designers of today are just avoiding, while they can.

Have a look at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145446360827
In the EU you would find 'vents' making them for similar money. Some even have a speed control attached, or more.
That is the right type of fan, being centrifugal. It's the 3 phase dc motor like any self respecting modeller would use. The controller is inside, and it runs off AC 220-240 kinda thing. Speed control is a part that costs a couple of dollars. These motors are much more efficient, and at the speeds you want, near silent.
These save enough power, to pay for themselves. See the 'free fan' thread.

In reality, you don't need anything more than a 12v variable power supply, and a DC blower. Bigger rotating masses just mean more vibration, and taking up more space. You might get that bigger tent at some point, but it may not stop you wanting to keep the freezer running also. Mums, cuts, drying, storage. four reasons that freezer might be permanent.

With the controller you just got, you are looking at inline bathroom fans, if you want something poor. Or, an rvk of the AC type, if you want something decent. Though you may find the RVK + controller, costs as much as the EC fan, which will whoop it in every respect.
If you can share a link to the controller, I can look it over. China have realised we like a heavy variac, and not their $2 pwm controllers. So have started to make there pwm controllers (light dimmers) look like a variac. The result of PWM control of AC motors, is foremost noise/vibration. Followed by power use.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
AC, RC , DC I need to read a bit more about that. I am really busy atm and on Saturday I am out for fishing license test :)

If everything runs well my mate comes over soon to help me with the gas. Led will arrive tommorow and the grow shop called me today as well and sad that carbon filter is in shortage atm and it will take to weeks. No problem ;) and a really kind support + more time to build up the other things and to be more creative with the filter /air stuff.

Bigking Marineboot 3in 130CFM 12v Elektrisches Bilgenluftgebläse Gleichstromlüfter (weiß)
https://amzn.eu/d/gty6iNN

Just out of the blue. This inline blower and a carbon filled pringles cup with 2000 little holes ?! Is this the right path ?

If I am able to finish this freezer within February I am tending to run a official opening grow :D

Last edited:

Ca++

VOKTTA AC110-220V 4000W Spannungsregler Tragbar Einstellbare Temperatur Geschwindigkeit Hohe Leistung SCR Kompakt Variabler Dimmerschalter Leistungsregler
https://amzn.eu/d/h83V3pc

Hope I randomly ordered good controller!

I will answer later - Thanks
Unfortunately.. No.
It will slow an AC fan for sure, but won't really lower it's power consumption, or noise. This is particularly problematic at lower speeds, where the motor can start to run too hot. It won't offer any stealth, fitting of your freezer grows credentials.

Ca++

AC, RC , DC I need to read a bit more about that. I am really busy atm and on Saturday I am out for fishing license test :)

If everything runs well my mate comes over soon to help me with the gas. Led will arrive tommorow and the grow shop called me today as well and sad that carbon filter is in shortage atm and it will take to weeks. No problem ;) and a really kind support + more time to build up the other things and to be more creative with the filter /air stuff.

Bigking Marineboot 3in 130CFM 12v Elektrisches Bilgenluftgebläse Gleichstromlüfter (weiß)
https://amzn.eu/d/gty6iNN

Just out of the blue. This inline blower and a carbon filled pringles cup with 2000 little holes ?! Is this the right path ?

If I am able to finish this freezer within February I am tending to run a official opening grow :D
It might take a while to familiarise yourself with these terms, if they are new to you.
This gives me an idea what sort of skill set you have though.
I'm going to suggest you follow the somewhat standard approach of buying the 100mm set from ACinfinity, or Mars, or whoever else is selling that same fan with their own choice of controller. It might cost you near 150 euros, but it's plug n play consumer gear.
There is a 100w thread people are following at the moment. A similar space to yours, and they use one of these fan sets. It would be well worth looking at

The 1st fan you linked to, needs me to accept cookies, but I do see it's 12v. It's perhaps not bad, using a 12v adapter. I just can't see enough to really know though. I won't accept the cookies, and can't refuse them, as it's in foreign language for me.
The second fan is only 0.25amps, and really needs to be higher.

Last edited:

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
https://www.ebay.de/itm/26615398818...MI3vfNlYmMhAMVbZSDBx0NWAwGEAQYFiABEgJnxPD_BwE

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005...700608&afSmartRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

Didn’t expect that the air system is the most difficult of the project :)

But on the other site I have positive coming ups as well.. my mate sent me instructions to check if the really old freezer after >10 years without any use is still under pressure - nope it wasn’t :) but it wasn’t a good feeling as I cut the pipe - haha

So this morning i started officially…
IMG_7029.jpeg IMG_7030.jpeg
430x450x680
:)

Last edited:

Hasch

learning and laughing
So this morning i started officially…
Go Calle 🥳

Would love to see pics of your build!

Didn’t expect that the air system is the most difficult of the project :)
Hm, I get the impression the air system is being made more difficult than it would have to be, but that's just my 2 cents...

Still think this fan would be a good choice

I had the larger version (125mm) running for a good year. It ran with little noise and I've had no problems with it.

If this fan (100mm version) still seems to strong for you, then you just put a little! light foam in the exhaust pipe to block some airflow.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Go Calle 🥳

Would love to see pics of your build!

:geek: Yes - straight forward :)

Thanks for your answer! I like to get always a few different intentions and then after a impulsive resume :ROFLMAO: I try to decide.

Today was a really good day - the LED arrived and early in the morning I was busy with rebuilding the freezer. The controller also arrived. As a carbon system I ordered this. https://www.smilinggreen.de/Caluma-Luefter-Set-100-mh.html

Hope it’s sufficient enough. Still this problem with throttle :) what do you think ?

Will edit few pics later. I need to unpack first and have a small look in the freezer. Haha.

IMG_7051.jpeg IMG_7050.jpeg

Last edited:

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Oh BPA .. didn’t thought about that so far.. but the pipe is really hard and not so flexi which suggest no high bpa content :unsure:

I was a little busy today but I managed few small things. Seems like I can finish everything by tonight. Unfortunately the carbon system need 2 weeks to arrive..

Latest posts

Latest posts