What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buds turning brown

slyman

20220927_153128.jpg

First two are the same plant and the 3rd is another. Only the one bud on the second plant. Are they just rootbound maybe and not getting nutrients to those buds? Doesn't seem pathogenic. The plants are completely fine otherwise, maybe a week out from harvest

Also, unrelated, have some white chunks on the second plant, not sure what that is
20220927_153238.jpg

Attachments

• 20220927_153149.jpg
    20220927_153149.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
  • 20220927_153158.jpg
    20220927_153158.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • 20220927_154106.jpg
    20220927_154106.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104

VenerableHippie

View attachment 18762154

First two are the same plant and the 3rd is another. Only the one bud on the second plant. Are they just rootbound maybe and not getting nutrients to those buds? Doesn't seem pathogenic. The plants are completely fine otherwise, maybe a week out from harvest

Also, unrelated, have some white chunks on the second plant, not sure what that is View attachment 18762157
I 'm looking at yr first image and see stem rot. Looks like you've got the dreaded rot that no one here seems to know how to cure. Your buds are starving to death because their food has been cut off.

I get random attacks of it outdoors in very well drained soil ... so it's not a drainage problem. One plant will be ok and the next not. Can attack the bottom of the main stem then you lose everything.

Terminal I 'm afraid ... but but the buds'll still smoke good!

xet

Pull that bud apart and see if there is an elmer glue inside of it that smells something putrid

stiff

Veteran
420giveaway
Yep...it's rotted bud. Cut all the rotted shit out..and don't be shy!! If you leave only a little bit,it it will continue to rot. sorry for your loss..seems like it's grown to dense,had to much humidity or not enough wind. It's usually on of the above. Definitely don't smoke the rubbish. And if any rain is forecasted, you might just wanna pull them now before you loose the rest too. I know it sucks..keep your eyes peeled for yellow budleaves in the future. They can be a first sign for budgerot. Some people end up spreading the buds with straws and shit,just to get more air into them🙄

RobFromTX

View attachment 18762154

Also, unrelated, have some white chunks on the second plant, not sure what that is View attachment 18762157
How often do you water them? This happened to me my very first grow and it was because of extreme overwatering. It literally kills the plant from the inside out. Just my experience.

Last edited:

BumblebeeTuna

I 'm looking at yr first image and see stem rot. Looks like you've got the dreaded rot that no one here seems to know how to cure. Your buds are starving to death because their food has been cut off.

I get random attacks of it outdoors in very well drained soil ... so it's not a drainage problem. One plant will be ok and the next not. Can attack the bottom of the main stem then you lose everything.

I've gotten random entire branches/colas that get thin, turn a wet salmon color, and the buds turn brown, smell and feel like dead grass. 23 colas out of 24 perfectly fine. And one random plant that appeared fine at harvest, but smelled fungal and sticky, turned entirely brown after hanging to dry, every other plant fine. It's like the crop sacrifices the weakest.

" One of the primary pathogens on a lot of vegetable crops is Fusarium oxysporum. It’s a vascular Fusarium. Growers can get pretty much complete control by using nitrate nitrogen and calcium. If they can stimulate nitrification, or if they apply nitrate nitrogen, potassium nitrate, or calcium nitrate, they have fairly effective control of Fusarium wilt diseases.

With tobacco, where we use fumigation to control some of the soil-borne diseases, you should have at least 30 percent of your nitrogen as nitrate nitrogen. If you don’t—if the plant is taking up all ammonium nitrogen—you can get into a carbon deficit because the plant detoxifies the nitrate or the ammonium by combining with photosynthate that provides the carbon base for those amino acids. Then the nitrogen is translocated as the amino acid. If you don’t have enough nitrate present to buffer against an ammonium source—if you’re going to get fumigation, because our soil fumigants tend to knock out nitrifying microorganisms, it stabilizes in the ammonium form. It can be a drain on the carbon and the energy availability until that ammonium is detoxified and utilized by the plant." - Don Huber - Mineral Nutrition and Plant Disease

VenerableHippie

I've gotten random entire branches/colas that get thin, turn a wet salmon color, and the buds turn brown, smell and feel like dead grass. 23 colas out of 24 perfectly fine. And one random plant that appeared fine at harvest, but smelled fungal and sticky, turned entirely brown after hanging to dry, every other plant fine. It's like the crop sacrifices the weakest.

" One of the primary pathogens on a lot of vegetable crops is Fusarium oxysporum. It’s a vascular Fusarium. Growers can get pretty much complete control by using nitrate nitrogen and calcium. If they can stimulate nitrification, or if they apply nitrate nitrogen, potassium nitrate, or calcium nitrate, they have fairly effective control of Fusarium wilt diseases.

With tobacco, where we use fumigation to control some of the soil-borne diseases, you should have at least 30 percent of your nitrogen as nitrate nitrogen. If you don’t—if the plant is taking up all ammonium nitrogen—you can get into a carbon deficit because the plant detoxifies the nitrate or the ammonium by combining with photosynthate that provides the carbon base for those amino acids. Then the nitrogen is translocated as the amino acid. If you don’t have enough nitrate present to buffer against an ammonium source—if you’re going to get fumigation, because our soil fumigants tend to knock out nitrifying microorganisms, it stabilizes in the ammonium form. It can be a drain on the carbon and the energy availability until that ammonium is detoxified and utilized by the plant." - Don Huber - Mineral Nutrition and Plant Disease
Thanks! Never happened to me ...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Bud Rot will always start in the main stem and if that's not the main stem then it's not bud rot. If it's a secondary bud that's smaller than the main bud then it's something else. I have walked up on plants with dried gold buds that died due to "water transpiration issues" and from "excess heat" and "scarce watering" or uneven watering or a pest attack. Its common to see a bud die when temps., water, or humidity swings to extremes. Just make sure shes got enough water and that's about all you can do. However, I can truly say with 100%, surety its not Fusarium wilt! 😎

Wall

don't smoke these buds!!!
mold does not heal. cut and throw away the burnt buds...
sometimes it's better to sacrifice a plant than to smoke shit.
:smoke:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Just to be on the safe side take a magnifying loop and get a good look at the inside of the bud. if you see, thread-like hyphae that look fuzzy then call it what it is? If the bud looks like it does on the outside "inside" its not mold. You can get a surefire answer under a microscope slide.😎

St. Phatty

Is there a connection between Bud Rot, and using soil that doesn't drain well ?

I notice that my mixer contains a lot of clay, so if I mix that into G&B soil mix, it ends up muddy.

It drains but I'm thinking a soil with more gravel & small rocks would be better.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Is there a connection between Bud Rot, and using soil that doesn't drain well ?

I notice that my mixer contains a lot of clay, so if I mix that into G&B soil mix, it ends up muddy.

It drains but I'm thinking a soil with more gravel & small rocks would be better.
Yes if a plant sits in heavy clay soil that lacks drainage it will most likely produce problems. When you mix heavy soil with excess nutrients then the outcome is usually mold. To improve clay drainage and lower the pH one can use peat moss to improve drainage and pH. 😎

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
don't smoke these buds!!!
mold does not heal. cut and throw away the burnt buds...
sometimes it's better to sacrifice a plant than to smoke shit.
I would always throwout, but would some questionable bud from near the rot be safe through a bong. Would assume the flame would kill most but would think water would catch the rest.

Wall

mold contains spores that play on the respiratory tract... the water will not contain 100% of the spores. You can even put whiskey instead of water, it won't change much. If the grower has only one plant: I understand that this is boring;) but if the grower has other healthy plants: better to throw the sick plant away! And to the next culture to be more attentive... the spores contained in cannabis mold go into the lung cavities, it's not just a surface irritation. Smoking even a week of moldy cannabis will have repercussions...better not to mess with your health. Everyone is free to smoke whatever they want!!!
it's just my point of view (y)

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
mold contains spores that play on the respiratory tract... the water will not contain 100% of the spores. You can even put whiskey instead of water, it won't change much. If the grower has only one plant: I understand that this is boring;) but if the grower has other healthy plants: better to throw the sick plant away! And to the next culture to be more attentive... the spores contained in cannabis mold go into the lung cavities, it's not just a surface irritation. Smoking even a week of moldy cannabis will have repercussions...better not to mess with your health. Everyone is free to smoke whatever they want!!!
it's just my point of view (y)
I am not suggesting smoking anything moldy. I am talking about smoking bud in a tent where you had to remove some buds or a branch. I would think since mold is a solid, not gases like smoke, that the bong water would catch it, unlike a joint or pipe. I should check with Greywolf. He has a way of extracting mold from BHO, and is chemist.

Also, as preventitive have heard potassium bicarbonate.

Last edited: