What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubble hash star rating system 101

B

ben_710

I was bored so I thought I would make a guide about the star rating system used for bubble hash. Using micron sizes to rate the quality of bubble hash is not very accurate anymore considering all the variables that come into play. Fresh vs dry material, trim vs whole plant, strained vs microplaned, 4 bags vs 8 bags. These are just some of the examples of different variables that come into play. Therefore, most hash makers now choose to use the star system instead of rating the quality with micron sizes. All of the pictures used in this guide are screenshots of this video from Mr. nice. All of this information comes from listening to bubbleman, Mr. nice, and other hash makers.

1 Star

Melt=0%
Dabable=no

Fully combusts when heated. Very harsh, earthy taste.

2 Star

picture.php

Melt=25%
Dabable=no

Glistens on surface when heated. Usually very dark with an earthy taste.

3 Star

picture.php

Melt=50%
Dabable=no

Forms bubbles on surface then combusts when heated. Earthy taste with hints of original strain. Also known as half melt

4 Star

picture.php

Melt=75%
Dabable=yes

Bubbles into puddle of oil when heated. Taste of strain with hints of earthy taste. Also known as ice wax

5 Star

picture.php

Melt=90%
Dabable=yes

Bubbles into very small puddle when heated. Taste of strain present. Also known as ice wax

6 Star

picture.php

Melt=100%
Dabable=yes

Bubbles into nothing. Will melt through a screen. Full taste of strain present. Also known as ice wax or full melt.

7 Star

This is another rating that came about recently to describe 5 and 6 star bubble hash with cannabis-derived terpenes added back into the hash

B

ben_710

I tried to include a picture with the 1 star hash but it said I could only post 6 images, so here is the 1 star:
picture.php

B

ben_710

picture.php

6 star bubble hash stored in powder form can be pressed into a patty suitable for dabbing just by using the heat of your fingers.

picture.php

6 star bubble starting to grease up

picture.php

5 star bubble in powder form

ThaDocta

Veteran
The star system is antiquated and unreasonable to trust hash maker's to judge correctly. In reality, the star system is just telling you how it melts.

Gravimetric analysis of the melt weight vs. contaminate weight is a 1000 times more reliable and not subjective to quality inflation.

PS, I hate the star system.

B

ben_710

The star system is antiquated and unreasonable to trust hash maker's to judge correctly. In reality, the star system is just telling you how it melts.

Gravimetric analysis of the melt weight vs. contaminate weight is a 1000 times more reliable and not subjective to quality inflation.

PS, I hate the star system.

It isn't my favorite rating system either, but it's what's used in most dispensaries

rykus

best bubble ive seen r smoked... made by the mad extract man Flav421! shit is next level IMO... but im just a lowly dope farmer not one of the fancy con-esuers types frequenting despensaries,lol..

B

ben_710

Lol please let me clarify that I have never been to a dispensary in my life. I was just responding to the person that said he did not like the star system.