What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubble hash drying residue?

farma_c

Hey there folks,

I'm new to making bubble hash, just got a set of bags a month ago, and on my second attempt, which has been drying a week, I noticed this fine white residue. Here are the details of my run and drying setup and a some pics, sorry it's not ideal, tried taking a few pics through a 30x loupe.

So it's a full spectrum run, frenchy style.i what's here is 45u-159u with dry cured bud which was in the freezer for a week or so before the run. The bud had been hanging in the barn since harvest.
I'm on spring water, which does have a little hardness to it, but there was no residue in the first batch I did.
Sieved the wet material onto parchment paper, which I set on trays in a food dehydrator in a cool room in the house (the dehydrator was not running!). Now the interesting thing is that the residue is only in the bottom couple of trays. Mostly in the bottom tray. I should have written down which run was which (I did 5 washes, first one a couple of minutes). Pretty sure the one with all this residue was the first wash I did.
The residue was originally quite evenly dispersed throughout the hash, in the pic its in a pile cause I folded the parchment and kinda shook it side to side.

Tried tasting it to see if it tasted salty or minerals, which it doesn't, but it does kind of have that stickiness on your teeth like weed does.

So any ideas what or why?

Attachments

• photo2031202.jpg
    photo2031202.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 58
  • photo2031204.jpg
    photo2031204.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 59

farma_c

Don't I feel like a newbie. I dipped my finger in that stuff, squeezed, pressed, rolled, and lo and behold...

I put a lighter to it and it bubbled and burned right down. It left a black smudge of residual. So is that something that one would typically catch in a 45u bag?

Attachments

• photo2031312.jpg
    photo2031312.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 61

Fakir710

Don't I feel like a newbie. I dipped my finger in that stuff, squeezed, pressed, rolled, and lo and behold...

I put a lighter to it and it bubbled and burned right down. It left a black smudge of residual. So is that something that one would typically catch in a 45u bag?

Hey buddy, whats up. What i understood from my experience is that when you make full spectrum hash, first, it's full spectrum, so you got all the resin going from 159 to 45, that means different heads, stalks, points of maturity and becuase of that, colours. In the other hand, when microplaning, some particles are smaller than others. The small ones dry faster, got almost no water on them and change no color because some of those are trichome stalks or cystolithic trichomes that are more wax than fat and doesn't oxide that fast.

This is a pic from my last full spectrum, as you can see there are different shades of colours. And the bigger pieces are darker and way more oily/fatty.

First pic is first pull and secon pic is second pull.

Both 159-45 full spectrum and so many agitation, i was looking a good balance between quality and quantity for this run.

Attachments

• photo2032316.jpg
    photo2032316.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 61
  • photo2032318.jpg
    photo2032318.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 52