What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubble Bag prep

Olhippy

Question on prepping bud for processing.

I have several ounces of dry heavly seeded bud that we will be running in 5 gallon 7 bag set.

research says about 8 oz of herb per run - should I screen and seed the bud or run full nugs?

The seeds will be at least 1/2 of the herb weight - and will sink - good or bad?

Any pointers or pitfalls?

Ive never seen full melt, but maybe!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Whenever I run bud I like to break it up a bit. Nothing crazy but take the big buds apart and throw out any big stalks. Since it’s seeded, maybe try the ‘double album cover’ seed removal method. Freeze your bud overnight and have more ice than you think you need.

My machine is washing 80 grams of Pink Kush while I am typing this . . . :rasta:

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Make sure it's good and Dry. The dryer the better. Winter cold helps big time. Gently crumble by hand to break up the buds. Seeds should float if viable.

@peace

Everybody above has good advice, we had a hemp field near us two years ago and everybody within many km's had seeded bud, I washed it through a machine no problem, they mostly float like fletch said. The only thing I would add is that you should let the material sit in the ice water until it is hydrated again, for me this takes about 10 min, this will reduce the amount of small bits of plant material that you will break off during agitation. If you have a second pail you can cut a hole in the bottom (4" would be good) then you can put the collection bags in this pail then put it in a tub or leave it outside and use a hose or pitcher to run more water through the bags. The water pulling through the bags will help to clean each cut a bit and will help remove some green. Check out Frenchy Cannoli on youtube. His method is with a small washing machine but many parts of his approach can be used in a pail system as well. Good luck.

Olhippy

Outstanding! Thank you for the responses!
More than one way to do the job!

My confusion - or caution relates to frozen fresh - which would not be broken up at all vs. dried - which has several methods.

I've had the first batch of bud in a sealed box with a bowl of dessicant, so it should be dry, dry when I run it. Just trim the big sticks and get busy!

I have enough,,,, I could run a batch both ways and see if there is any percieveable difference in yeild or quality.

There were some new bugs on the plant, Black, maybe 8 to maybe 12 mm long - Plants were happy and healthy, the bugs were not eating plant material, but I had never seen them before. Found 2 preying mantis egg casses too! (saved them in the refrigerator for this spring)

A good wash would also make sure I wont be smokin any tasty bug parts or eggs - BONUS! Hash is good.

iTarzan

I clean my bags with olive oil. Pour a quarter cup of olive oil in the bag and rub it around the mesh and it will resolve the resin. Alcohol works but it is hard on the mesh over time. I have had my bags 15 years now. After rubbing with olive oil (also do the sides some) put it in the sink with warm soapy water and wash them. Then rinse with warm water and let dry.

The fat (olive oil) breaks down the trichs. Then the dish soap breaks down the grease (oil).

I put a stopper in my kitchen sink and then put a dish basin upside down. This is the surface I bounce my bag on. My bags are old and I worry someday they will break. If they break the trich water is in the sink and can be retrieved.

I use to just bounce them on the cement back porch in the winter and rinse it off the porch with hot water when done.

I still freeze my material but I don't see what good that does because it unfreezes as soon as it hit the ice water. I like letting it sit in the water to rehydrate like @Peace does.
I also put in half as much material then can be fit in the mess bag because it moves around better and breaks off more trichs. I also but ice in the mesh bag too like the original bubble bag machine instructions instruct you to do.