What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skintner

The tank was pretty close to empty and it's all done now... hopefully it buys me enough time to figure out how to bypass the thermostat on the electric space heaters so the next time won't be so extreme.

I still have what looks like fruit flies... if I can get it to the 65 day mark (< 2 weeks), I will shut it all down for a serious douche and change of operation. I will be burning all the clones in veg and basically starting over. Hopefully I can salvage the seedling LSD and Acapulco Gold... they're small enough that I can spray or immerse them completely.

For weeds, this shit can sure get complicated.

peace
stk

G

Gifted0ne

finally got my little room to 115 degrees took a few hrs, with two space heaters and lamp on. didnt bother plant at all..

AstheCrowflies

Skinter,
It's pretty easy to bypass the thermister, I soldered a wire to each end of the thermister thereby cutting it out of the circuit. My heater just runs and runs and I was able to achieve over 120 degrees. I have ran some tests heating up some leaves in a mason jar in a pan of hot water and killed all mites, don't know for sure if the eggs are affected, I saved the leaves in a jar and will check later to see if any eggs develop.
I'm so glad you put up the link to this thread at GP and I'll report here and at GP after I turn up the heat on these buggars.
Thanks
ATCF

RetroGrow

Veteran
Skinter,
It's pretty easy to bypass the thermister, I soldered a wire to each end of the thermister thereby cutting it out of the circuit. My heater just runs and runs and I was able to achieve over 120 degrees. I have ran some tests heating up some leaves in a mason jar in a pan of hot water and killed all mites, don't know for sure if the eggs are affected, I saved the leaves in a jar and will check later to see if any eggs develop.
I'm so glad you put up the link to this thread at GP and I'll report here and at GP after I turn up the heat on these buggars.
Thanks
ATCF

120 F kills eggs too...

ya i tried the 25$ usb microscope, its good but when u hit snap button it moves the actual focus resulting in blurry pics. I have an real microscope on the way will udate then..

knubs

ya i tried the 25$ usb microscope, its good but when u hit snap button it moves the actual focus resulting in blurry pics. I have an real microscope on the way will udate then..

take a screen shot of your screen (prnt scrn button then paste it into the paint program) and then crop it.

also, what kind of microscope did you buy?

take a screen shot of your screen (prnt scrn button then paste it into the paint program) and then crop it.

also, what kind of microscope did you buy?
knubs is offline Add to knubs's Reputation Report Post

cheers i will do that next scope .I bought a 50x/500x endoscope/ microscope with camera , pretty good for 25bux , comes with stand , thru ebay , holla idf u need link

G

Gifted0ne

Yo retro, i been using the Aspirin for a couple weeks now and im having my ph drop from like 6.0 to 5.0 over 24 hrs everyday. Is this due to the aspirin? cause my ppm's are stable

RetroGrow

Veteran
One aspirin tablet does not drop PH much at all. Barely noticeable, but you always adjust PH after everything is mixed anyway. Something else is causing it, unless you are using lots of aspirin. Even so, PH adjustment afterwards straightens it out. I have used as many as 3 tabs per gallon with no problems. Ideal PH for coco is 5.8. PH normally rises a bit afterwards. Unless you are using "time release" or "coated" aspirin which you shouldn't be. Cheap, generic, plain, uncoated aspirin.

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
That's the problem. Do not use coated. It's been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Plain Bayer aspirin, or generic aspirin. Most aspirin sold in stores today is coated/time release. You have to look for regular.

G

Gifted0ne

Ok one last question, so ive been treating this one plant with heat and the ogbiowar and the mites have still taken over.. Now I can see them without a scope and they are like a super tiny spec of white dust but clearly are walking around even the top of the leaves. I've seen 4 separate ones walking around the last time i looked and im getting the same damage as the russet/broad/cyclamen get on new growth etc.

There are no spider mites or spotting anywhere. What am i dealing with here? The only thing that I am certain has worked for this plant so far was mighty wash, the other plants that were not sprayed with mighty wash just heat and safer soap dips did not make it. But the one shot with mighty wash came back to really good health for about 2-3 weeks, and the heat+OGBIOWAR has failed it.

Like to note that just now after 1.5hrs of 115 degrees i went in a saw multiple mites running around the top of the fan leaves. like i said they are just specs of white and the heat is not killing them.

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
^^Yea, If you can see em crawling around use a contact killer like neem oil...Spray it everywhere...The base of the plant, and everything. If theres anything walking that you can see it will be dead soon..Oh yea, make sure you use the aspiring as directed by retro. It will make a world of a difference...

OP

Yup

Yup

That's the problem. Do not use coated. It's been mentioned numerous times in this thread. Plain Bayer aspirin, or generic aspirin. Most aspirin sold in stores today is coated/time release. You have to look for regular.

I had one hell of a time finding "Un-coated" aspirin. Here in So Cali I went and looked everywhere. Finally found the only place was
"CVS Pharmacy's" Most of the other places sell what looks like un-coated cheap aspirin you really have to look for the fine print that says "micro-coated" But CVS sell large bottles cheap that state in bold letters on the front "UN-COATED " and they really make a huge difference in restoring "Dud's" as I had tried using the "micro coated" and noticed a huge difference immediately after I realized I was using the Micro-coated ones. It was like day and night. The truly "UN-COATED" aspirin treated plants responded way better. I would add even though both coated and un-coated did dissolve totally in warm water (is the way I do it in a bowl of almost hot water then dump in rez) Still do not use the micro coated or any coated aspirin.It makes a huge difference.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Ok one last question, so ive been treating this one plant with heat and the ogbiowar and the mites have still taken over.. Now I can see them without a scope and they are like a super tiny spec of white dust but clearly are walking around even the top of the leaves. I've seen 4 separate ones walking around the last time i looked and im getting the same damage as the russet/broad/cyclamen get on new growth etc.

There are no spider mites or spotting anywhere. What am i dealing with here? The only thing that I am certain has worked for this plant so far was mighty wash, the other plants that were not sprayed with mighty wash just heat and safer soap dips did not make it. But the one shot with mighty wash came back to really good health for about 2-3 weeks, and the heat+OGBIOWAR has failed it.

Like to note that just now after 1.5hrs of 115 degrees i went in a saw multiple mites running around the top of the fan leaves. like i said they are just specs of white and the heat is not killing them.

115 is not enough & you are not seeing broad mites. Probably Russett mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.