What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
They spread to damn near everything on my property, I hit pot plants with spray all season and kept them at bay, but they are now on all our Lilly, Marigold, and strawberry around the property. Seem to be leaving the fruit trees alone but they are still around. Hopefully the cold winter will kill everything outside. I will continue to treat my moms indoors with Kontos and biowar to keep them safe until then.

I would try some swirskii mites as predators and try to build up a natural population. Im going in with some other local growers on a monthly order to use as preventative maintenance in my garden through out the year..

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I did some research.... These aren't broad mites, they are rust mites...
heres my pic
picture.php

they look kinda like thrips but WAY smaller and less mobile.
heres a description from wikki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aceria_anthocoptes

what the hell is up with all these different kinds of mites all uh sudden hoppin on the herbs?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i had russet mites, no broads,
broads are lil and round, smaller than russets, russets are oblong like a lil worm.

i had good results with sulfur brand wettable sulfur (sold as a fungicide ) against russets

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
K nubs they should be the same in terms of treatment. I am trying to save someone else's multi-room scene already containing B M s. Me entering midway. May the Deities be with me.

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Russet mites are a common problem.

Best way to avoid them is to not have tomatoes in your outdoor garden.

Cherry tomatoes usually have them crawling all over the vine parts.

Take a branch of any of your tomato plants and shake it over any flat surface you can examine (even the deck)... you'll see them all over.

----------
Russet Mite control:

Royalty and Perring (1987) evaluated five acaricides on tomato russet mite and a tydeid mite predator, Homeopronematus anconai. For tomato russet mite, avermectin B1 (Avid, Agrimer) was the most toxic, followed by dicofol, cyhexatin, sulfur, and thuringiensin. According to their study, selective doses of Avermectin B1 could provide good control of tomato russet mite while conserving a predator of the tomato russet mite, H. anconai.

Looks like Avid plus predators would work very well.

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/crop/Type/a_lycope.htm

G

Gifted0ne

Anyone know if might wash works for broad mites? I just shot my infected plant with Might wash then washed it down with green stay + Dutchmaster Zone.

G

Gifted0ne

Not gonna work....

Has anyone here tried Zone tho to kill em? its copper sulfate, i guess ill find out.. Sorry 1 more question tho will the heisenberg tea as a foliar do the job??

Under attack right now and not gunna spend $300 on chemicals, 2nd damn time in a row given dirty clones :(

G

Gifted0ne

don't work for broadmites

Damn guess they will be going in the trash then. Maybe ill dunk them in bleach/h202 before trashin them for the hell of it. I guess the whole room is suspect too now.

Clones came from a very well known source too, damn people sellin dirty clones. 2nd time in a row burned by dirty seller.

eric2028

Veteran
Damn guess they will be going in the trash then. Maybe ill dunk them in bleach/h202 before trashin them for the hell of it. I guess the whole room is suspect too now.

Clones came from a very well known source too, damn people sellin dirty clones. 2nd time in a row burned by dirty seller.
if you don't have to keep the clones i'd trash em. but if you wanna keep them pickup og biowar foliar pack. spray everything twice a week. you can find it for like $35 which you can use for like 3 months. good luck!

opt1c

Veteran
kontos in veg at 1ml/gal worked for me finally.... tetrasan25, pylon, and avid only held them at bay

talktosamson

Veteran
kontos in veg at 1ml/gal worked for me finally.... tetrasan25, pylon, and avid only held them at bay

Bingo, other things gave me relief. But Kontos watered in a 1ml/gal on my infected moms finally made them go away. Probably a month later and my mom room looks to be BM free. I still spray my captain jacks with spinosad for preventative once a week as well.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Bingo, other things gave me relief. But Kontos watered in a 1ml/gal on my infected moms finally made them go away. Probably a month later and my mom room looks to be BM free. I still spray my captain jacks with spinosad for preventative once a week as well.

The question is: how long does Kontos linger in the plants, and what are the possible hazards?

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Don't throw your infected clones away unless they are too damaged.

One dip in Avid and they will be bug free for 30 days. Heat treat the room. Start a pest management program in your room(s)

Done deal.

talktosamson

Veteran
The question is: how long does Kontos linger in the plants, and what are the possible hazards?

I will never flower the moms I treated, I will take a new set of clones here soon and make those the new moms. Some of my moms are of my outdoor strains and wont flower again for a year or so, hopefully that is enough time/generations for it to get out of its system.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Understood, but I'm guessing some peeps will not be as conscientious as you. They will become frustrated with this problem, and use Kontos on plants they will be flowering and selling. The question then becomes: how dangerous is this stuff to smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.