What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
That's the Bitch about these BM's.. Until one has seen them, and what they can do. Months can go by until it becomes obvious.

By the time one realizes there is something wrong - and that it is NOT some nutrient/water problem - all the new growth has been compromised. Pale green and curling sideways and lengthwise leaves... That is where the Broads and Russets start their attack - first in veg.. In Flower they have even more places to hide...! Bastards.

Thing is, ya gotta get ALL of them, or IMHO, it is best to start over..

I am working back into it, but One must always try to keep ones' own Mothers/clones and Veg room... Not using others' Clones...

the gnome

Veteran
FUCK, 5 weeks in flower, what to use? FUCK id seriously take a giant cucumber up my ass first before these. Only symptom is burnt pistils , the week they turned it was 90 degrees in my room. And two new open hoods. Only a few flowers are " burnt". I am taking my scope over there tomorrow.

I doubt you have BMs you lucky bastard! :comfort:
when the BM population is hi enough to cause visable symptoms you will see it on most of the plant and it spreads like wildfire, within 10 days you will see what damage they are capable of.
in veg if not treated you have lost the plant in 9-14 days

about 7-10 days
picture.php

14 days
picture.php

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I doubt you have BMs you lucky bastard! :comfort:
when the BM population is hi enough to cause visable symptoms you will see it on most of the plant and it spreads like wildfire, within 10 days you will see what damage they are capable of.
in veg if not treated you have lost the plant in 9-14 days

about 7-10 days
View Image

14 days
View Image
omg lol, i see nothing like that, scoped again since we chatted. nothing. Gotta be my new gavita's being to close as its only on that row of new open hoods. going to keep checking, and release predator mites anyhow.

thank you for the reply man....good lord that photo lol. not sure whats worse, that or face eater.

slshemup

the best thing to do when you have had broadmites or other mites,bugs etc before or are in a known area for problem bugs is preventive maintenance at least you know then its not one step forward and two steps backwards.like spray down rooms between crops with your preffered spraymix that works and a light spray on plants every few weeks or so and then you will have no need to spray in the last four to six weeks of flowering and any chem residues will be long gone of the plants.also do a bit of research to find out in your area what host plants or trees for the problem bugs that may be in your yard or on your property and spray them as well.

slshemup

personally preditory mites are a waste of money if there are no mites to eat they just die,also no bug or animal wipes out its food source so it kills itself off only humans do that.

omg lol, i see nothing like that, scoped again since we chatted. nothing. Gotta be my new gavita's being to close as its only on that row of new open hoods. going to keep checking, and release predator mites anyhow.

thank you for the reply man....good lord that photo lol. not sure whats worse, that or face eater.

slshemup

yuk to spray 5 weeks into flower is sheer desperation and who knows what carcinogens would be created from the neem,azamax etc residues left on the buds when smoked.

slshemup

hold your hand at the top of plant directey under light if your hand gets to hot or burns within a few minutes thats exactly what it will do to your plants so raise the lights.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Captain Obvious thank you for your 4 consecutive posts. First post...no shit. Second post, predator mites are not a waste of money. Please read your first post and find that word preventative. 3rd post, not spraying. 4th post, thanks Jorge..I saw that in your dvd.

:biggrin:

slshemup

Captain Obvious thank you for your 4 consecutive posts. First post...no shit. Second post, predator mites are not a waste of money. Please read your first post and find that word preventative. 3rd post, not spraying. 4th post, thanks Jorge..I saw that in your dvd.

:biggrin:

yes preventative maintenance is tops ,though if if you put preditory mites in a grow and they have nothing to feed on they just die waste of money,also they dont wipe out every mite to kill them self off known fact.tripledraw27 yes i can see by your name calling and recent post that your a narrow minded wanker with attitude.just for your info i have been growin for 35 years in just about every different grow situation you could think of, that has been all work no play that includes alot of trial and error with so many different techniques.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
yeah its the lights, back em off a bit and your good to go

lol...!
if you've had these things,
it really is a thin line between these bastards and the face eater

well one helluva awakening. Feels like being scared straight or something along those lines. Ill make this scare into a very good routine in terms of repertoire, preventives. I have avid, had it for long time...was always worried due to pets and animals around. Ill have to get creative for my younger cuts in terms of spray.

And I'm thinking BM over face eater, all day
Thanks dudes :biggrin:

Does anyone have a picture or video from their USB scope? I am having a hard time knowing what to look for.
It would help out a lot if i could see their size comparison to trichomes and hairs.

thanks

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
A trick to find small pests is to hold a piece of plain white paper under a leaf and shake it and tap it and then look at the paper with a loop or magnifying glass. The small crawlies will be a lot easier to see.

I was told I had "broad mites" I actually had a "mosaic virus" notice I did not say tobbacco moasic virus"...I spent way too much time with a 100X scope looking for those bastarbs never saw one. Sterilized everything cost me big coin. Lil tip from your "uncle Larr" no matter how tempted never ,ever,ever, never, ever,ever,ever take in a clone from a dispensary or friend..ever, never,ever, ever....My grow now from seed looks spectacularrrrrrr.....I won't even let other growers in to see.AND I always quarantined my clones for at least two weeks dunking them in mitacides.....Never, ever, ever, ever ,ever again...LOL

Last edited:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Broad Mites and Mosaic have similar viaual appearances. I think Mosaic is more rare than people say. But, I may be wrong on that. I sure did see these broad Mites work..!

They look like little blobs of whitish or reddish Mini-Mini worms. Best way to see them is to look at the reflection or glare off their slimy appearing bodies.. When they move - the light will shift. At that point you will see them in a group, or one at a time. Using a 20X or 30X Jewelers' Loupe will allow you to see 'em no problem.

Look for leaves that are pointing down, and sides of leaves ridged - rolling up. Possibly canoe-ing leaves sides of the blades pointing down. The BM's have heinous and varied effects on the leaves. They are often hiding under the center ridge of these leaves. Yes, they are that small. You will also see eggs. Opaque whitish.

Look at these places, and if you have them, there you will find them.

In addition, bleaching of the leaf occurs, in advanced cases, mostly on New-Growth. As in the above photos. They also seem to leave behind a coarse reddish residue.

After 3 treatments of Avid, in the greenhouse, I am not seeing any moving. But some of my plants really had it bad, and I STILL do not believe I killed them all. One more treatment will probably do it. Then I will leave them alone to do their flowering thing in the Light Dep Thang.

I submit that using AVID as a DUNK for small plants and clones upon Transplanting, would be a very effective and perhaps safer way to control the BM's as a preventative.

I'm happy for you

I'm happy for you

Broad Mites and Mosaic have similar viaual appearances. I think Mosaic is more rare than people say. But, I may be wrong on that. I sure did see these broad Mites work..!

They look like little blobs of whitish or reddish Mini-Mini worms. Best way to see them is to look at the reflection or glare off their slimy appearing bodies.. When they move - the light will shift. At that point you will see them in a group, or one at a time. Using a 20X or 30X Jewelers' Loupe will allow you to see 'em no problem.

Look for leaves that are pointing down, and sides of leaves ridged - rolling up. Possibly canoe-ing leaves sides of the blades pointing down. The BM's have heinous and varied effects on the leaves. They are often hiding under the center ridge of these leaves. Yes, they are that small. You will also eggs. Opaque whitish.

Look at these places, and if you have them, there you will find them, or not.

In addition, bleaching of the leaf occurs, in advanced cases, mostly on New-Growth. As in the above photos. They also seem to leave behind a coarse reddish residue.

After 3 treatments of Avid, in the greenhouse, I am not seeing any moving. But some of my plants really had it bad, and I STILL do not believe I killed them all. One more treatment will probably do it. Then I will leave them alone to do their flowering thing in the Light Dep Thang.

I submit that using AVID as a DUNK for small plants and clones upon Transplanting, would be a very effective and perhaps safer way to control the BM's as a preventative.

If you found the "broad mites' I am super happy for you. That does not sound rite...LOL..anyway, I looked for weeks on end people telling me they where very fast moving and hard to see. I have dealt many, many times with "spider mites" and was able to keep them at bay. But I could not find one single "broad mite" and I checked every single inch of my plants for weeks Really, Really, did. I looked and looked day after day could not find one. Supposedly they are different in there action and the way they work. They are from what I have read very less in numbers and the damage they do is from excreating a toxin into the plant (not the same way spider mites work)...What I eventually did is destroy, throw away disinfect everything cost me a bundle...My mothers now look completely normal and healthy. Like it use to look when I only used seed (Like everyone did back in the day)...I don't care about the elite clones I use to get (They where great) but the pain and suffering has ended and I have many crosses to work with. I now have SLH , Jillybean, Larry OG, Strawberry Blue, And many other beans yet to be tried and dozens of crosses over the years I have made that are sure to produce some killer. All the very best with your grow .I hope it will be spectacular...!!!BTW...I still dunk my clones from mothers in "Mighty wash" twice before going into flower room.Thats how paranoid I have become. I wish this hell not even on my enemys. I will put up pictures when they start to form buds.

Last edited:
More info

More info

If you found the "broad mites' I am super happy for you. That does not sound rite...LOL..anyway, I looked for weeks on end people telling me they where very fast moving and hard to see. I have dealt many, many times with "spider mites" and was able to keep them at bay. But I could not find one single "broad mite" and I checked every single inch of my plants for weeks Really, Really, did. I looked and looked day after day could not find one. Supposedly they are different in there action and the way they work. They are from what I have read very less in numbers and the damage they do is from excreating a toxin into the plant (not the same way spider mites work)...What I eventually did is destroy, throw away disinfect everything cost me a bundle...My mothers now look completely normal and healthy. Like it use to look when I only used seed (Like everyone did back in the day)...I don't care about the elite clones I use to get (They where great) but the pain and suffering has ended and I have many crosses to work with. I now have SLH , Jillybean, Larry OG, Strawberry Blue, And many other beans yet to be tried and dozens of crosses over the years I have made that are sure to produce some killer. All the very best with your grow .I hope it will be spectacular...!!!BTW...I still dunk my clones from mothers in "Mighty wash" twice before going into flower room.Thats how paranoid I have become. I wish this hell not even on my enemys. I will put up pictures when they start to form buds.

I realize I should have started this with my symptoms. I had a "Checkerboard pattern" Really a checkerboard pattern. On the leaf, of "Blotches" looked like a "checkerboard",,,no "spidermites at all. Less than spectaular growth. Did end up with a ok grow just not good healthy grow. (less than what you would want) and this is the exact result from what I have read about a "Mosaic" virus. I may have had "broad mites" but I don't think so. YOU WOULD THINK I COULD FIND AT LEAST ONR SINGLE BROAD MITE WITH A 100 X SCOPE...???This is all I want to say about this...Actually this is some funny shit...after years of smoking around my plants,,,,everytime I go into grow now I wash my hands in mIlk...LOL....I could take me years to realize I don't need to do this..LOL...hahahaha

Last edited:

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
A Broad Mite looks like a mini Jabba the Hut slug-like thing. Slow as shit. I had Tomato Russet Mites two years ago, and checked them out under my digital microscope. Yuk.

the gnome

Veteran
just do a simple yahoo image search for broad mites, you'll get 100s of pics.
the eggs are much easier to spot and have a distinctive pattern on them, oval with a sort of diamond spots over it
also after you spray and kill the mites Ive had the eggs stick to the leaves for months!
its un-nerving to scope the plant out and see those damn egg sacs everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.