What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain High

Veteran
congrats MRDANK! hope they stay away for good.

I ran into russet mites in my garden. They burrow inside the plant and makes it impossible to get rid of them. I tossed all the plants in my house, including house plants. been fogging all my rooms with avid/ forbid. I have NPS hanging in every room and been vacuuming every day, laundry every day, launched some pyrethrin/ pibernoyl (sp?) butoxide bombs, then launched some permethrin fumigators (caused my fire alarm to go off and my landlord called me up to find out why he got a call form the private security company about them going off). Gonna fog with SEVIN which has carbaryl as the active ingredient, maybe one more fog of avid/ forbid and then physan 20 all my equipment and plan on renting a carpet cleaner before i introduce clean cuts in my place again. I have seen this bug ruin my buddys place. He shut down his grow for months and bleached the walls and everything and it still came back. I basically believe you have one shot to completely eradicate them. Bring the rain! I don't like stressing over my garden when my garden is supposed to be a stress reliever. I hope I never see these bastards again.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I had Broad Mites re-appear after treatments with Forbid, Pyrethrin, Bifenthrin & Neem. I tracked down some Avid and one treatment @ 1 mL/gal did the trick. I am 4 weeks into fower, the treament with Avid happened 2 weeks before I flipped to 12/12 and still nothing. I have my source for predator mites on speed dial if I see these bastards during flower. I am cautiously optimistic! Here's a shot of one of my girls
picture.php

so i have broad mites...i finally found some while looking at the top of my worst looking plants. you can barely see these bastards.

fuckin christ, i havent even introduced anything new to my grow in hella long! i swear every single grow i always have some new problem, makes me wannna quit growing with all these damn problems.

so luckily i already have AVID, i want forbid, but its freakin 200 bucks for 8oz!!!

any cheaper places to source this stuff.....arrrrgh. wth all the money i spend fixing my grow its easier to just go buy pot. fuck this bullshit never ends!
picture.php

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
timmy - that is exactly what mine look like, and I just discovered today that I got Broad mites too, and have been wondering why my flower room has gone downhill, as well as my vegging plants.. I am hoping that outdoor temps are too much for the mites. will get em out in a couple days.. Hit em with Azatrol in the meantime. Will let the indoor flowers finish without spray. as they are close anyways.

DOH.!!!

takkada

got mine from amazon.com

got mine from amazon.com

i thought just fuck it im done at one piont aswell , mites cost me way to much money trying everything i heard of , but i finally ordered some floramite. way expensive , the good side of that is this shit works kills they entire coloney of mites and 20 different spiecys . also it was 1/2 tsp per gallon . i used so little of this ill have the bottle for years . bad news is i would only spray the room down between crops . it says its used on commercial tomatoes but would only trust spraying the cause i would not want to smoke it . i spray asitrol if plants need sprayed , its a systematic that go into the plant and is food safe according to the bottle . i have not yet had to use this because the floramite works awsome . i spray my room once in early spring and again at end of summer , this battle stradagy works for me , well its the best advice i can give , peace .:thank you::laughing::dance013:
good luck .

takkada

Floramite does nothing to Broad Mites

you learn new stuff daily here at icmag , ok i looked this broad mites problem up and i was wrong floramite kills different spiecies of spider mites , however forbid miticide and judo miticide kills broad mites . great i:thank you:nfo storm shadow.b mites leaves curl down , c mites leaves curl up .

stasis

Veteran
Thing about these guys is that once things are bad enough to see the damage to the new growth, the mites are well on their way to infestation...

I am gonna go out doors with my work now... Considering getting a whole new bunch of clones from a trusted friend, and not running my well-advanced Casey Jones, Chiesel, Grape Romulan, and other veggers (DOH...! this just kills me.).

But, I was wondering...?

I have been reading that BROAD MITES thrive in cooler temps, unlike SPIDER MITES - thus bringing the plants outside would do absolutely nothing to stop the buggers... Correct..?

Used Azatrol -1st spraying in a while and it did nothing to stop the BROAD MITES - but often AZATROL takes 2-3 applications to do Spider Mites in.. It Does work on Spider Mites though.

Is AZATROL ineffective on BROAD MITES, in total..?

I also have SAFER Garden Fungicide (Sulphur) which has been reported here to rid people of BROAD MITES.. But, it is necessary to wait a good few days to use Sulphur after one sprays AZATROL.. They react bad together.

Any Ideas, Mad scientists...?

Thanks....!

Had these a couple years back... had trouble eradicating them with forbid, it really knocked em down but they came back after 4 week. Emptying the flower room and giving a single dose of avid on all vegging plants, and a good cleaning and I never saw them again.
I had started with weaker stuff like floramite but it does nothing to these pests, and azamax didn't seem to work too well either.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Avid is he stuff to use in veg
Predator mites in flower ( and in veg if you're opposed to using Avid)

the gnome

Veteran
I had started with weaker stuff like floramite but it does nothing to these pests, and azamax didn't seem to work too well either.

I had em in feb, ordered avid but in the mean time I had floromite
it did nada as you said.

avid knocked them DEAD! one application
I had another round of them last week so hit again with avaid, the plants in feb were moved to another spot for flower and never a prob with those.
the latest round of broads was in the same spot as the 1st time.
I bombed the hell out of that room in feb, this time when i move the plants I'm going to spray some avid on the floor and along the baseboards and bomb it some more.
all it takes is a hand full to survive and weak havoc

RetroGrow

Veteran
I had em in feb, ordered avid but in the mean time I had floromite
it did nada as you said.

avid knocked them DEAD! one application
I had another round of them last week so hit again with avaid, the plants in feb were moved to another spot for flower and never a prob with those.
the latest round of broads was in the same spot as the 1st time.
I bombed the hell out of that room in feb, this time when i move the plants I'm going to spray some avid on the floor and along the baseboards and bomb it some more.
all it takes is a hand full to survive and weak havoc

Yup!
They are a bitch to TOTALLY eradicate. They keep coming back. Easy to control, hard to eradicate.

stasis

Veteran
A good case for starting with new plants.. Wish I could use the vegging plants harden em off and do em outside - but I missed these buggers for too long I reckon... Plants look terrible. Can't imagine getting them all.

RetroGrow

Veteran
hey everyone, I have been dealing with sick plants for over a year now, and finally decided to scrap all my genetics, redo entire grow area, disinfect,etc.

I thought i was dealing with a virus and the micro version of root aphids. I would see them on the small new little roots at the base of the plant if i looked with a usb scope, but couldnt see them with the naked eye.

After reading this thread I am starting to think that I have some type of mite also. Unfortunately i have no plants left to check if they are on the leaves or buds, and i didnt think to check for microscopic bugs on the plant.

I do remember a few plants would have buds with small clusters that had died and dried out before the plant was picked. Also I tried every treatment for root aphids but could not kill them.

Here is a video of one i was able to capture on video, this was on the crown of the plant.
Does this look like the mite you guys are seeing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q89n5WHpum4

Those are root aphids, not broad mites in the video.

RetroGrow

Veteran
A good case for starting with new plants.. Wish I could use the vegging plants harden em off and do em outside - but I missed these buggers for too long I reckon... Plants look terrible. Can't imagine getting them all.

Increase your silicone to harden the leaves against sucking insects, and continue to use avimax, and you should have no problem. Plants will recover. You have to spray the Avimax several times before every one of those fookers are dead.
Even then, your space is still contaminated, more than likely.
They will come back in future grows, so it looks like a good bombing of florimite, etc. is a good idea between grows.

Relentless

Veteran
k looks like i need to get some avid..

can u use avid on fresh unrooted and rooted clones?

what mixture are you guys using?

thanks!

Grow Tech

Veteran
Increase your silicone to harden the leaves against sucking insects, and continue to use avimax, and you should have no problem. Plants will recover. You have to spray the Avimax several times before every one of those fookers are dead.
Even then, your space is still contaminated, more than likely.
They will come back in future grows, so it looks like a good bombing of florimite, etc. is a good idea between grows.

Dude....floramite doesn't do a damn thing for broad mites

Dave Coulier

Veteran
k looks like i need to get some avid..

can u use avid on fresh unrooted and rooted clones?

what mixture are you guys using?

thanks!

Ive treated cuttings before and after rooting with no problems using Avid. I use it at 1ml/gallon. One application will pretty much eradicate your problems for a month if you dont use any more followup applications of other miticides, so I would always follow up with repeat applications rotating miticides to reduce the chance of resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts