What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight

Veteran
You guys are quite amusing... I think your overdue to bump the Spider Mite thread and cry foul play on all the nasty things they use to fight off the BORG :)

Midnight... I sense you have lost alot of time and money for being too stupid for understanding how to fix this problem... dont take it out on this thread... serious dude..your displaying some very obvious feelings of pain here... I mean if you want to talk about your feelings...I think you should start a thread on how your loyalty in life starts with a daily ritual of Richard Simmons VHS home Edition workouts and and 3 half hour intervals of isolated masterbation sessions to Richad Simmons :)

Silly Goose...if you were here right now ...Id SPray you with Avid and FOrbid Comob str8 Paula Dean Style baby

You guys are nuking your plants with chemicals and calling me stupid? mmmkay then! Smoke on my brother, smoke on. :moon: :moon:

S

Shan Diego

I walked past a Starbucks today and noticed they have a Prop 65 warning for their products...

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
theyre back lol
pretty much destroyed one of my chemd/sfv x joyberry over night. noticed it last night. swear she was fine the day before then bad pistils and resin gone off the tops yesterday. everything around her is untouched. so weird. pulled her from the tent and sprayed her down with spinosad. now shes covered in neem and hanging out in the closet with another hsps. threw the hsps back in the tents last night too. will do so for a few more days. figured this would happen. still fighting the good fight over here!!!:wave:

heres soe flicks of my super skunks about 10 days away from harvest. fuck you broadmites, i win this time:moon:
picture.php
picture.php

Midnight

Veteran
theyre back lol
pretty much destroyed one of my chemd/sfv x joyberry over night. noticed it last night. swear she was fine the day before then bad pistils and resin gone off the tops yesterday. everything around her is untouched. so weird. pulled her from the tent and sprayed her down with spinosad. now shes covered in neem and hanging out in the closet with another hsps. threw the hsps back in the tents last night too. will do so for a few more days. figured this would happen. still fighting the good fight over here!!!:wave:

:dance013: :dance013: :dance013: :dance013: :dance013: :moon: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I can tell you I'll be dropping predators on my girls week 3 of flower regardless if I find BM or not
And midnight = vaginal blood fart

max_well

hey ghostnugz,
thanks for the update.. super skunk lookin super nice.
How far along is your chemd/sfv x joyberry?
I'm wondering if there is a time point in flower beyond which plants are sure to be in the clear, or whether the BM are a threat to do damage all the way to harvest...
best of luck

hey everyone, I have been dealing with sick plants for over a year now, and finally decided to scrap all my genetics, redo entire grow area, disinfect,etc.

I thought i was dealing with a virus and the micro version of root aphids. I would see them on the small new little roots at the base of the plant if i looked with a usb scope, but couldnt see them with the naked eye.

After reading this thread I am starting to think that I have some type of mite also. Unfortunately i have no plants left to check if they are on the leaves or buds, and i didnt think to check for microscopic bugs on the plant.

I do remember a few plants would have buds with small clusters that had died and dried out before the plant was picked. Also I tried every treatment for root aphids but could not kill them.

Here is a video of one i was able to capture on video, this was on the crown of the plant.
Does this look like the mite you guys are seeing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q89n5WHpum4

ballplayer 2

og, I had problems with the same bugs you are showing in your video. Mine always hung around in the root zone and on the outside/rim of the container. At one point during the summer I thought I might have seen a few migrating up the plant. However, at that time I had the tiny/micro white/translucent variety you are dealing with, and a larger reddish variety.

The last time I tried I only saw the micro variety. Nonetheless the symptoms were the same: decent growth during veg/early flower,stalling by around week 3, not much visible damage to leaves, a random flower or two near the bottom seemed to have prematurely dried pistils. The buds would continue to progress very slowly and not swell much. I ended up chopping and cleaning and assembling an arsenal to battle Root Aphids.

I still have not resumed trying because I am unsure of what exactly I am battling here. Like I said mine seemed to hang around on the outside of the pots mostly, the only reason I could see them was because my pots are black and I could see the light colored fleck movement on them. I'm not sure exactly what I am going to do if I have these damn mites. The only thing I can do is treat for BM and Root Aphids.

Shitty thing is I dont trade clones, and am not remotely near Cali. So damn frustrating. Please continue to post what you determine, because I am about 90% sure I am battling the same organism as you. Folks in the RA thread have proclaimed them to be beneficial mites. I got news though, they did not benefit my garden.

Thank you for your time and knowledge,

BP

Last edited:

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Ah yes...good old mites.

I LOVE SHOWING MY SPIDER MITE PICS

picture.php

They're such friendly little critters and make really cool webs...fuck up the plants though.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Ah yes...good old mites.

They're such friendly little critters and make really cool webs...fuck up the plants though.
Greetings high country
FWIW Broad mites are different from the typical spider mite. They are much smaller, don't form webs and are usually found on the newest growth

Grow Tech

Veteran
hey everyone, I have been dealing with sick plants for over a year now, and finally decided to scrap all my genetics, redo entire grow area, disinfect,etc.

I thought i was dealing with a virus and the micro version of root aphids. I would see them on the small new little roots at the base of the plant if i looked with a usb scope, but couldnt see them with the naked eye.

After reading this thread I am starting to think that I have some type of mite also. Unfortunately i have no plants left to check if they are on the leaves or buds, and i didnt think to check for microscopic bugs on the plant.

I do remember a few plants would have buds with small clusters that had died and dried out before the plant was picked. Also I tried every treatment for root aphids but could not kill them.

Here is a video of one i was able to capture on video, this was on the crown of the plant.
Does this look like the mite you guys are seeing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q89n5WHpum4

Thats a good video. Thanks for posting. So far I have only seen Broad Mites on the newest growth. The legs on the bugs you captured appear to be longer than what I've seen on Broad mites. I would guess that you have something different but will check some of my root balls when possible.

S

Shan Diego

Overgrow/ballplaya...those are phylloxera...they fly in too, you'll all get them eventually. You can eliminate them with imidacloprid...different pest than the broad mites.

Ballplayer2, Thanks for chiming in. Im glad im not the only one with these micro RAs or whatever they are. Did you try killing them with a miticide?
Im starting from seed in promix heavily innoculated with met52, so far so good.
Im going to treat them for mites as well because these seem to have 8 legs and aphids have 6.

Growtech, thanks for letting me know what the ones you saw looked like. It is hard to find good pictures on the net.

shan-diego, I have heard that these are phylloxera, but all the pictures i have seen look nothing like the ones i have. Did you have ones similar to what i got on video? Tried merit 75 and bayer many times at all different doses, as well as botaniguard, spectracide, acephate, evergreen.

ballplayer 2

overgrowit, I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to eliminate this pest with the pesticides you listed, especially because they are all the ones I have in my arsenal to try to deal with this pest. I also have the MET 52 but have not utilized it in my medium yet. I also have Azatrol, but that is the only miticide I have in my arsenal. I have never had leaf mites before, thus the reason I have no other miticide.

I agree these mites are a real deal pain in the ass. I have done all kinds of research on "soil mites" and cannot figure out what we are dealing with here, nor how to be rid of them. From what I can tell not many people have reported dealing with these. There was one or two threads on "other" sites about these, but little definition of what they are or how to get rid of them. One fella claimed to use Hypoaspis miles to be rid of them. I do know what we have are killing my garden, and confidence in ever being able to successfully grow my own again.

You have the tiny white/clear ones right? Like I said, I also had a reddish considerably larger one that would run laps around the rims of my pots in large number when disturbed. The larger variety seemed to move much more quickly than the small white/clear ones. The larger red variety looks identical to the smaller white/clear one from what I can tell, just much bigger. I dont know if the larger mite was trying to rescue my garden from the smaller ones. I know my plants stalled, lost vigor, and took forever to dry out (suggesting root rot). The guy on one of the other sites had the same larger reddish variety as I did, and he reported devastating damage.

A member by the name of Cannawhatsis has a picture of the larger mite I am talking about in a new thread in the infirmary here about spider mites, should be near the top of the first page here. He is unsure what type of mite it is. I agree, that this seems to look more like a mite than any type of root aphid I have seen; it has 8 legs. Your unsuccessful attempts to treat for root aphids seems to reinforce this belief. All I know is this sucks, because I have been struggling with these things for more than 2 years. 2 years since I have had what I consider a successful harvest. I am beyond frustrated at this point. I wish I could be of more assistance. I would think there has to be evidence of root dwelling mite parasites on university ag sites, but I have been unable to find much info regarding such a pest. Much info on red/two spotted mites, Broad, and Cyclamen mites.

Please keep in touch with me regarding this topic. Hopefully we will figure out a way to identify and be rid of this pest. Thank you for your time and assistance.

BP

SourSmoke

Hey Grow Tech or any one else...

How much of the Neoseiulus Californicus predator mites should one buy? Is this determined by square footage to be treated or what? They seem kind of pricey but I want to make sure I get enough.

Also if some one has a good supplier to buy from that would be appreciated as well.

THANK YOU!!!
~sour

LilMissPuffIt

Do these things move at all? I think I have them but cant be sure as they are so small and don't seem to move. I'm using a Veho scope to spot them. Ill try to post a picture.

the gnome

Veteran
they do move but sometimes you have to wait a while to se it.
you can also spot the eggs easily.
I use a 60-100x scope, you can use a loupe but they are only 1/150th of an inch long and more power is better.
i can't see you pics posted...sorry.
do your symptoms match pics posted earlier in this thread?
if so you probably have them.
if your in veg avid and forbid knocks em dead fast!

Grow Tech

Veteran
Hey Grow Tech or any one else...

How much of the Neoseiulus Californicus predator mites should one buy? Is this determined by square footage to be treated or what? They seem kind of pricey but I want to make sure I get enough.

Also if some one has a good supplier to buy from that would be appreciated as well.

THANK YOU!!!
~sour

I ordered a vile of 1000 and used spread them in 2 spaces that together totalled probably ~100 sq. ft
I'm sure it was overkill but they really werent very expensive and I wanted the broad mites gone quick

MrDank

Veteran
It's now been exactly 3 months since I diagnosed and started treatment for these pests. I run a perpetual system with plants ranging from unrooted clones to plants ready to chop. I have a separate clone room, veg room, and 2 small flower rooms, and I had broad mites on every single plant. I used the same treatment I use for spider mites, and it's been approx 2 1/2 months since I've seen any broad mites or any damage. I think they are gone

Veg: spray plants/dip clones- with Forbid 4f every 7 days for 3 applications. Every other day, hang Hot Shot No Pest Strips in your area for 12 hours. Remove strips, exhaust, and seal the strips in a ziploc bag and store until you hang them again

Flower: Hang the NPS (no pest strips), 1 NPS per 1k, seal the room, turn on fans, shut off exhaust, and hang them at night when the plants aren't transpiring. When the lights turn on, remove the NPS, seal them up, and exhaust your room. I do that every other night, alternating with the veg area. I did that for approx 3 weeks

At my spot, and at 2 friends spots, we think we have eliminated broad mites completely. We constantly look for damage, and the first spots to show damage are the first pistils to start showing during the stretch of early flower

I wanted to wait a few months before I posted this just to make sure it works, and sure enough....I think it did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts