What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Plants in the tent.
All of your questions have been answered many times in the thread.
Do some reading and use the search function.
If you're still in veg, plants aren't doomed, although heat treatments can be done in flower too. Aspirin in the rez helps knock back the BM toxins.
All of this has been explained previously.

Thanks...I think. The thread's ~180 pages, and I just heard of BM's and this thread within the last 2 days. Sorry I haven't been able to read /digest the entire thing yet, I'm trying. The info in the thread is varied to say the least.

I'm into flower, which I gather is BAD.

G

Gifted0ne

Thanks...I think. The thread's ~180 pages, and I just heard of BM's and this thread within the last 2 days. Sorry I haven't been able to read /digest the entire thing yet, I'm trying. The info in the thread is varied to say the least.

I'm into flower, which I gather is BAD.

The ones in flower are done. Going by ur pic not worth the effort either way.

While the info on this thread may be varied so is any topic in regards to growing cannabis, but one things for sure you're plants have the worst possible problem a grower can get..

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the government had something to do with the spread.

knubs

So pack up and move, or burn the house down is what you're telling me? Start from seed in a new spot maybe? I appreciate your opinion, however this is not a very practical or realistic solution:thank you:.

The grow is in a 4x8 tent. Can't I just sacrificially burn the tent, bomb the house, Sanitize the equipment with bleach/alcohol get a new tent, BOG seeds and start over? Aborting/shutting down for a few weeks to debug/clean would be brutal, but doable. An actual move, without a successful harvest isn't possible. I'm already in the hole from previous bad harvests from the BM's. This most recent crop seems especially susceptible to them.

My place is a small studio(600 sqft) with hard floors. I'd think a few good bombings, coupled with a new tent would do the trick. Maybe hit them with Avid in veg, just to be safe. Thoughts anybody?

look through the thread a little bit. you have plant cancer. no one wants to accept the reality because it sucks. i know i didn't want to. i wasn't exaggerating in my last post though. no one has simply eradicated the mites quickly and easily like spider mites or root aphids. once you have them they own you. some people have even shut down for a long time and when they started up from seed and they came right back.

Ez Rider

Veteran
I'm about 1/8 of the way through this thread, and I'm noticing that there are two distinct camps. There's "the sky is falling" camp, and the "man up ,get the right chemicals and kill them" camp.

I'm seeing multiple people saying that a couple of rotations of Avid/Forbid/Conserve SC, followed by maintenance with triple action neem does the trick.

My plan is to toss the current run and start over. I've got a friend with cuts from an allegedly clean mother, but I'll be dipping all the cuts in Avid BEFORE I leave his house with them. I'll do a 10% bleach wipe of the tent/equipment followed by a heat treatment. Once the plants are vegging in the tent, I'll do a few Avid/Forbid/Conserve rotations before I flower, and spray with triple action neem during flower. Am I missing anything?

Has anyone in the "falling sky" camp actually spent the cash, used the products properly for a few rotations and seen little or no results? As powerful as these pesticides are supposed to be, I find that difficult to believe. Is it the mites, or is it the $600 investment in pesticides that's really the issue? I noticed that many of the "falling sky" people are using cheap products that have little or no effect on BM's.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I'm about 1/8 of the way through this thread, and I'm noticing that there are two distinct camps. There's "the sky is falling" camp, and the "man up ,get the right chemicals and kill them" camp.

I'm seeing multiple people saying that a couple of rotations of Avid/Forbid/Conserve SC, followed by maintenance with triple action neem does the trick.

My plan is to toss the current run and start over. I've got a friend with cuts from an allegedly clean mother, but I'll be dipping all the cuts in Avid BEFORE I leave his house with them. I'll do a 10% bleach wipe of the tent/equipment followed by a heat treatment. Once the plants are vegging in the tent, I'll do a few Avid/Forbid/Conserve rotations before I flower, and spray with triple action neem during flower. Am I missing anything?

Has anyone in the "falling sky" camp actually spent the cash, used the products properly for a few rotations and seen little or no results? As powerful as these pesticides are supposed to be, I find that difficult to believe. Is it the mites, or is it the $600 investment in pesticides that's really the issue? I noticed that many of the "falling sky" people are using cheap products that have little or no effect on BM's.

There are two camps: Those who prefer to use very toxic miticides, and those who prefer to use more natural methods, like heat treatments or OGBiowar.
You can find out what miticides are used against these simply by Googling. The "natural" methods are less well known, so you can really skip the first half (or almost) of this thread as all they talk about is poison. After that, more solutions were discovered, and those are the ones I would read up on. You caught them way too late, and they would just be duds if you finished them. They are probably all over your house, so you are going to have to get a scope and continually monitor them daily, as mites from outside your tent will get back in there and get on your new, clean clones.

knubs

money isn't the problem. i'm not buying mighty wash and azamax. i've bought the chemicals, i've bought the ogbiowar, i've done the research, and i treat every 4 days with rotated chemicals. it took doing this for months to start to get a handle on it. even still i continue this regimen and if i were to stop they would probably be back within a month. what you don't understand is that they are EASY to kill. there are a number of miticides that will destroy them easily, but they will come back. you can't kill them all...you will have stragglers on your clothes that will find a way back. you will have that one mite in your living room carpet that lived on some leaf particle. you will have the house fly that carries some mites outside, and then later you may have a fly that brings them back..... all it takes is one mite to reinfect since they are asexual. also they always go for the new growth where the translaminar poisons haven't touched. sick broad mites will even carry young newly hatched mites to the new growth. this is why i am happy to have been shown kontos (thanks Storm Shadow!) which is a systemic.

if you think it will be an easy battle then have fun. also the chemicals will start showing toxicity in the plant and the treatment can harm the plants as much as the bugs. my friend bread a strain called Concrete Leopard and i thought it was going to die after the first forbid treatment. some strains really dislike certain chemicals.

knubs

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the government had something to do with the spread.

nope. it's worse than that. Progressive Options is the one that has a LOT to do with the spread and the resistance... at least for cali.
they are still spreading BM's every day to every one that walks through their doors. they don't care and they've even had old employees online talking about the fact that they do it all on purpose.
i hear they are opening another location too....

G

Gifted0ne

nope. it's worse than that. Progressive Options is the one that has a LOT to do with the spread and the resistance... at least for cali.
they are still spreading BM's every day to every one that walks through their doors. they don't care and they've even had old employees online talking about the fact that they do it all on purpose.
i hear they are opening another location too....

Well it could be i suppose, either they hope the growers think its there own mistake with nutrients then come back for more spending more money, or it could be the government as well which is why these huge well known clone venders never get busted..

For me my infestation came from SUB LBC (aka growingforfreedom) you can look him up on youtube hes got a massive operation as well. Hes been doing this since like 09 hes all over with advertisements even craigslist. But then again could just be assholes that got them and just dont care , all they care abouts not losing their money.

Again more pics just so some people can try a temperately solution that has worked for me. I noticed someone mentioned essential oils, and that is basically what mighty wash is. It leaves residue and a nice shine like neem but works much quicker without that nasty smell. Just Mighty Wash and aspirin used.

Mites_zpse7a3d288.jpg

MitesvsMightywash_zpsb0b3906a.jpg

As promised

As promised

Here are plants taken as clones from mother plants that where damaged by broad mites. The mothers had twisted curled blistering leaves and the claw. And when grown out produced "Dud plants" That had no vigor or smell or resin. These are the clones from those mother plants after employing the "Bro Science technique" of BM recovery and long term management. First 3 shots are of Prized Mr Nice SSH and the last two (more indica) are "Critical 47" The room smells like tropical rotten fruit ,Mango, peach and spice. (4 weeks into 12/12)...Sorry about the picture quality I'm no photog. These plants are 100% safe clean high grade medicine.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
yeah, it is pretty powerful! haven't looked at the blood cells that came with it but sure did get a close look at my plants. so far so good. no creepy crawlies! knock on wood.:dance013:
had to sandwich the leaf between two slides to get a good look.

its cool mate. and if you get hard up you can charge your mates for fertility tests:)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Well it could be i suppose, either they hope the growers think its there own mistake with nutrients then come back for more spending more money, or it could be the government as well which is why these huge well known clone venders never get busted..

For me my infestation came from SUB LBC (aka growingforfreedom) you can look him up on youtube hes got a massive operation as well. Hes been doing this since like 09 hes all over with advertisements even craigslist. But then again could just be assholes that got them and just dont care , all they care abouts not losing their money.

Again more pics just so some people can try a temperately solution that has worked for me. I noticed someone mentioned essential oils, and that is basically what mighty wash is. It leaves residue and a nice shine like neem but works much quicker without that nasty smell. Just Mighty Wash and aspirin used.

View Image
View Image

Mighty Wash is not an essential oil. It is water.

G

Gifted0ne

Mighty Wash is not an essential oil. It is water.

Im def not trying to argue but it certainly contains an oil. It is a slick oily, product that leaves an oil residual shine. It also has a slight oil smell but its not a bad smell. I knew this as soon as i used it, but after reading a bit other respectable forum members had confirmed this already.

Im not saying it's not frequency water cause it may very well be, but it could also just be a gimmick in an attempt to throw off competitors from duplicating. Either way it works. I think you should at least have used the product and are familiar with it first hand before insisting what it is and isn't.

RetroGrow

Veteran
There's nothing to argue about. It is NOT an oil. It is water. H2O. Frequency water. I am familiar with it. It does not kill broad mites.

MichaelVick

Problems from heat treatment

Problems from heat treatment

Or you could just heat the room and spray ogbiowar, opposed to poisoning yourself and everyone. Not to mention the waste of money. My plant flourishing with ogbiowar.

If u had to choose $500 miticides and poisoning everything around VS. 120degree's for 1 hour and ogbiowar spray not quiet sure what's so hard about the decision.

I have yet to read bad results from heat treatment or ogbiowar.. I mean it's common sense for even the stupidest person on this forum, me (according to RetroGrow)

Not trying to contribute to the arguments on this thread but I think everyone should know that I did have serious problems result from doing heat treatments. Since the plants were all around 2–3 feet tall it was really hard to get the air at the base of my plants to 115 deg without getting the canopy too warm. Keeping the canopy around 125 for 1.5 hours caused MAJOR damage to most of my grow. The growing tips bent over and eventually died. Entire crop took extra weeks and was shit after that damage. Of course I realize that I over did things but even before that happened they didn't respond well to less severe heat treatments. I am finished applying heat and really counting on OGBW to get me through flower this next cycle...

G

Gifted0ne

Not trying to contribute to the arguments on this thread but I think everyone should know that I did have serious problems result from doing heat treatments. Since the plants were all around 2–3 feet tall it was really hard to get the air at the base of my plants to 115 deg without getting the canopy too warm. Keeping the canopy around 125 for 1.5 hours caused MAJOR damage to most of my grow. The growing tips bent over and eventually died. Entire crop took extra weeks and was shit after that damage. Of course I realize that I over did things but even before that happened they didn't respond well to less severe heat treatments. I am finished applying heat and really counting on OGBW to get me through flower this next cycle...

My plants were in 100-115 temperature for about 3.5-4 hours with the lamp on them (not even raised) eventually the top leaves started curling up quiet a bit, but plants didnt show any permanent problems. Not exactly sure what you did wrong or what you're prob really was but it certainly didnt happen to me. I also saw mites walking around at 115 so the next time im trying 125. Ive done 115 a few times and plant is just fine.

Sounds more like you're describing the damage of the mites not heat damage. And if you're not adding Aspirin then the toxins are likely to kill the plant.

G

Gifted0ne

There's nothing to argue about. It is NOT an oil. It is water. H2O. Frequency water. I am familiar with it. It does not kill broad mites.

Well it's the most oily water ive ever seen.. It stays slimy till its washed off with water.. And it must be washed off the plants otherwise it will burn them in strong lighting. It also as i said before leaves a nice shine like neem, if you've actually used it before you would know its not just water. It does rip apart spider mites supposedly so it could be frequency water i dont doubt that but the non water ingredient that's unlisted is an oil.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Main additive in Mighty Wash is Yucca Extract

I use the Grow More brand EZ WET SE..its Yucca extract and when used instead of Indicate 5 as a wetting agent.. its does a bomb ass job

EZ Wet SE is a cuticle disrupting insecticide which contains a sugar detergent (soap) as the active ingredient. Sugar soap is a new generation bio-pesticide that belongs to the soaps (or salts of fatty acids) class of chemistry.

Unique cuticle disrupting properties:
• Excellent control of many sucking and soft body pests.
• Used at very low rates 1/2 to 2 % by volume
• Works through contact activity
• Not affected by hard water, metal ions or variations in water pH(Unlike insecticidal soap

Mode of action:

EZ Wet SE has contact insecticidal activity on all stages of soft body insects, including eggs. Insect pests that are contacted demonstrate altered behavior within minutes and rapidly die The active ingredient, sugar soap, works like a detergent to dissolve the wax and lipid layer component in the cuticle, spiracles, and tracheae. EZ Wet SE interacts with the lipid bipolar protein matrix of the cell membrane disrupting their semi permeability. Iinsect respiration and moisture regulation is interrupted, causing immediate mortality. EZ Wet SE can also provide fungicidal activity as a cuticle disruptor by killing the mycelium of fungi which have the same dissolvable wax layers as insects and higher plants.

Side Note... I mix Kontos... Pylon....Avid...Forbid... all together now.... Ohh weee Mix

G

Gifted0ne

Main additive in Mighty Wash is Yucca Extract

Very interesting info, so yucca is basically what makes the product slimy/oily? I was assuming it was more of a oil vs some soap of sorts due to the fact that the liquid never bubbles/foams up at all. Wonder how you found that out havent been able to read that anywhere yet.

Retro i will look into making mighty wash but seems rather difficult. Have you tried it yourself on plants with broad mites? The stuff is only effective product ive used but its pretty harsh on the leaves if you dont really wash it off well, you think this is all due to just the frequency of the water? And the thick shine all over the leaves even after a good rinse is due to just a .15% or watever wetting agent?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Let me help set the record straight, as I hate misinformation!

Might Wash is "ionized water" with a wee bit of a surfactant (look at the label)--no yucca, zero.
EZ Wet SE is 90% natural saponin derived from yucca schidigera and natural sugars.

Saponins derived from yucca schidigera have shown to have certain pesticide benefits.

MECHANISMS UNDERLYING THE ACTION
AGAINST INSECTS
Saponins are known to have various biological properties.
They have membrane-permeabilising, haemolytic, antioxidant,
anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant and anticarcinogenic
activities, they affect feed intake, growth and reproduction
in animals, and they can be used as fungicides, molluscicides
and pesticides, as well as against some bacteria
and viruses (Francis et al. 2002; Sparg et al. 2004; Avato et
al. 2006; Tava and Avato 2006). In this part we will discuss
the activity of saponins against insects.
Saponins give rise to increased mortality levels, lowered
food intake, weight reduction, retardation in development,
disturbances in development and decreased reproduction
in pest insects. The mechanism underlying these actions
is, however, still largely unknown, but it is likely that
saponins have multiple activities. The main hypotheses are
that saponins could either make the food less attractive to
eat (repellent/deterrent activity), bear digestive problems,
cause moulting defects or have toxic effects on cells.

Source: 2007 PestTechnology DeGeyter review saponins (attached pdf)

The other 2 saponin studies are worthy of reading as well.

BTW, last month I paid $90 for 2.5 gallon container of EZ Wet SE--and I use it as a soil conditioner, catalyst for compost teas, and of course--foliar sprays. Since Growmore packages 2 products under the name "EZ Wet", make sure you get the "EZ Wet SE" not the other one..."EZ Wet 26" (for lawns and is not 90% yucca schidigera).

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2007 PestTechnology DeGeyter review saponins.pdf
    722.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2007 iscp degeyter.pdf
    50.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Wina-et-al-2005-Saponins-review.pdf
    122.6 KB · Views: 61
Yucca extract

Yucca extract

Let me help set the record straight, as I hate misinformation!

Might Wash is "ionized water" with a wee bit of a surfactant (look at the label)--no yucca, zero.
EZ Wet SE is 90% natural saponin derived from yucca schidigera and natural sugars.

Saponins derived from yucca schidigera have shown to have certain pesticide benefits.

MECHANISMS UNDERLYING THE ACTION
AGAINST INSECTS
Saponins are known to have various biological properties.
They have membrane-permeabilising, haemolytic, antioxidant,
anti-inflammatory, immunostimulant and anticarcinogenic
activities, they affect feed intake, growth and reproduction
in animals, and they can be used as fungicides, molluscicides
and pesticides, as well as against some bacteria
and viruses (Francis et al. 2002; Sparg et al. 2004; Avato et
al. 2006; Tava and Avato 2006). In this part we will discuss
the activity of saponins against insects.
Saponins give rise to increased mortality levels, lowered
food intake, weight reduction, retardation in development,
disturbances in development and decreased reproduction
in pest insects. The mechanism underlying these actions
is, however, still largely unknown, but it is likely that
saponins have multiple activities. The main hypotheses are
that saponins could either make the food less attractive to
eat (repellent/deterrent activity), bear digestive problems,
cause moulting defects or have toxic effects on cells.

Source: 2007 PestTechnology DeGeyter review saponins (attached pdf)

The other 2 saponin studies are worthy of reading as well.

BTW, last month I paid $90 for 2.5 gallon container of EZ Wet SE--and I use it as a soil conditioner, catalyst for compost teas, and of course--foliar sprays. Since Growmore packages 2 products under the name "EZ Wet", make sure you get the "EZ Wet SE" not the other one..."EZ Wet 26" (for lawns and is not 90% yucca schidigera).

Cheers!

I was sent a free sample of Yucca extract to mix with the OGbiowar. It seems to make the OGbiowar work better and leave less talc residue IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.