What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad mites? Mystery eggs and NO crawlers!

Bigbux82

A year ago I had russet mites and didn't know until my plants were duding 3 wks into flower. I cleaned the entire house and started again. I had an excellent second grow, but 10 days before harvest my house was ravaged by burglars...the plants that were in veg were flowered and yielded little(.25gpw). I once again killed everything, cleaned everything, waited 2 months, and started again with elite OG and GSC strains. Now some previous symptoms of interveinal chlorosis, thin leaves and general twisting, turning and clawing are happening. The fucktards at A2 Genetics gave me blueberry clones that had tiny microscopic white, round trichome-looking eggs on them and I didn't discover it for a few days. Instead of trashing them, my dipshit ass thought I could save them and then bought new healthier clones(ogs and gsc). Many of my problems in the past may have been due to or specific to hydro so I started some soil plants to hedge my bet. Now almost every single leaf on every plant in multiple rooms has the tiny white eggs, and the worst of the plants are stunted, contorted and make me ashamed to even look at them.
I am beyond sad. In a state of panic/desperation. I was prepared for bad luck, but it is threatening to destroy our finances...blah blah blah. Just trying to convey the importance and disappointment of this whole affair. I've been a registered caregiver for many years, and growing much longer. I am ready to retire...but I can't because I'm broke battling Borgs. I will post pics, try to explain them and hope for any kernel of wisdom and 2nd opinions I can get.
Quick info. I use hydro and soil. Strains are Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, Skywalker OG, Ghost OG, Night Terror OG, Orange crush, ak * deathstar. Temps are 68-78 because ac turns on every couple hours and I can't narrow the temp range. 20-24 hr light in wk 6 of veg. Blueberries were all killed weeks ago. They showed the initial eggs. Other clones checked when received showed no eggs at the time but most plants now have many eggs on most leaves(undersides). I have never seen a broad or russet mite in last few months. I eradicated russets last summer, bombed the place, started over. Never saw another mite, but have seen the broad-mite looking eggs on the undersides of leaves from time to time in the last 10 months, but still had decent results which slowly got worse, leading to the latest bomb and clean 2 months ago. I feel like I'm blabbing on so I guess I'll just post this and see what happens. Thx in advance for any help:tiphat:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
Those dont looks like broad mite eggs. Broad mite eggs are oval in shape and have a knobby surface, just google it you'll see what I mean.

Very tiny round eggs might be cyclamen mites. Cyclamens are nearly microscopic and very hard to see without 60x magnification or greater. Luckily they do not spread as fast as other mites.

Are you sure those are eggs? you have a so many its hard to believe you do not have any adults crawling around.

Bigbux82

Haha thats what they said at the Grow Show(ann arbor)...'are you sure those are eggs?' They said I had plant aids lol. Let me see if i can get some more pics up. have a usb scope and decent camera so ill be back! Thank you for response!!!!

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
well I still cant say if those are eggs or not but the leaf curling under in that second pic is a sign of cyclamen mites.

That's what they do, they also prefer shady area's out of the direct light. I'd be on the look out for crawlers, and maybe start washing the plants off before all of those eggs hatch.

cyclamens literally look like a spec of dust that moves so they are not easy to spot.

Bigbux82

new pics from today. I added 32 325mg aspirin in the 32 gal. rez for hydro. i also sprayed with Mighty Wash to see if 'eggs' would wash off. Still have spotted no crawlers but did see one mystery flier in soil room that behaved like a slower, smaller fruit fly. I couldn't trap it to identify it. I dont know all the individual strains from pics cuz took way too many pics today. the plants are all labeled tho...just cant see em in pics..anyways i know i should probably post more info but gotta get back there now to see how todays treatments worked.

Bigbux82

This is around 160x magnification. It almost looks like pock marks where eggs used to be. I recently sprayed MGS and silicone separately so possibly they got washed out...or perhaps the walls were reinforced. Either way I know this doesn't look right.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Trash em
heat treat the place
start fresh
Look into swirskii mites, they helped me when I was in flower, they will eat those eggs.

Bigbux82

Even the 3 larger ones and the soil ones? All plants are in veg stil and I have yet to see crawlers. Abandon any hope this early??

Bigbux82

For me to be totally sure the place is clean would require thousands in cleaning that I just don't have because of repeated disasters. I bleached and scrubbed everything and shut down for 2 months and now 2 months later I am here. I am not convinced a simple heat treatment will keep the problems at bay and was really hoping to save my genetics, flower the 3 hydro plants and treat the plants and the problem rather than trashing. Any ideas for an alternative or is everyone on board with what highlife 45 is sayn???

Bigbux82

I suppose I should explain what I mean by 'costing thousands'. It is evident to me that using lab quality cleaning standards and controls are almost a must in today's growing environment with new bugs, borgs, and God knows what else. I have duct work all throughout the basement which can't be completely cleaned unless done professionally or just removed altogether. The house was built in '52 and tho I have cleaned quite thoroughly after I bought it and several times since, I seem to always have one kind of problem or another. IMO, the only way to be confident a start-over would work is with professional cleaning/duct removal and placing standards in place like ammonia baths, hot water in every sink, and other things like this. It seems gone are the days when an old basement, dingy attic, or dirty garage made a decent grow spot. Not that mine is dirty, but when they are hiding in fixed installation or duct-work or in otherwise impossible to get to areas what is one to do?
I'm not sure if anyone can provide any type of real help, but I thought I'd just share pics and my summarized story to see if any new opinions or ideas are shared that I haven't thought about. In the end, obviously, it is my call on what I should do, but I'm love to hear anyone's take on the matter.

RetroGrow

Veteran
For me to be totally sure the place is clean would require thousands in cleaning that I just don't have because of repeated disasters. I bleached and scrubbed everything and shut down for 2 months and now 2 months later I am here. I am not convinced a simple heat treatment will keep the problems at bay and was really hoping to save my genetics, flower the 3 hydro plants and treat the plants and the problem rather than trashing. Any ideas for an alternative or is everyone on board with what highlife 45 is sayn???

You're in veg. You can save them. Keep the aspirin going. You can treat with miticides or heat treatments. I recommend heat treatments. 120F for an hour kills broad, cyclamen mites and their eggs. Then go to Kopperts and order some Swirski mite sachets. These are predators. Do not use predators before heat or miticide treatments. Treatments should be repeated, so eggs/ stragglers that continue to enter the room are controlled. Heat treating the room kills pests that are not on the plants. Once heat treatments are dialed in, it's easy to repeat. No need to trash them while still in veg. You will have to keep scoping and continue aspirin throughout grow.

Bigbux82

Thank you, that's kind of what I was thinking...and hoping. I have to say I'm scared of going heat treatment, but I know all of the experts on this and other sites mostly favor heat for this borg. I'm assuming I need to keep water temps at 70 or below during heat treatment which could be tough, but not as tough as losing a house and my ass from another failed harvest I guess. Here's some more pics from today. Hopefully when I get back to spot i will see that Mighty Wash and aspirin have saved the day!! Haha, I'm not that naive..or lucky. Anyways I'll keep you posted, and I'll try to be more scientific with posting my info and variables in the future, but in all honesty, the other variables might simply serve as a distraction in this specific case. Thanks again for your input and help! Is there a particular heat treat sticky or tek that you follow or prefer?? Does soil differ from hydro during heat treatment besides the obvious rez cooling needed for hydro?

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
picture.php

I would trash these ones an focus on the big ones, do some heat treatments and once you get new healthy growth coming out take new clones.

Im tring to help the Fam figure there problem out and they have the same white balls??

541WHAT!!!!:dance013:

If you dont wanna nuke em (which is the only way tht sorts works) buy a shaker of Swirskis for 80 bucks should cover 3000 sq ft. Organic spray 30 ml/gal Neem Oil 30m/gal Dr Bronners Sal Suds 5 drops rosemary oil 5 drops clove oil. Heat treat at 109 degrees with no fans or air movement for an hr or two. Do the heat first over anything if you wanna try it at all so when you end up spraying and releasing predators the heat won affect it. GL player