trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Breath test to detect pot is being developed at WSU

AA1QEoO.img
e151e5.gif
News Tribune, Tacoma, Wash.
Melissa Santos3 hrs ago
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...+test+to+detect+pot+is+being+developed+at+WSUhttps://twitter.com/share?url=http:...nal_referer=http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/BBg7iljhttp://pinterest.com/pin/create/but...+test+to+detect+pot+is+being+developed+at+WSU

BBg7Hny.img
© Rick Wilking/ REUTERS Customers shop for "Green Friday" deals at the Grass Station marijuana shop on Black Friday in Denver, Colorado November 28, 2014.
A team at Washington State University is working to develop a breath test that could quickly determine whether a driver is under the influence of marijuana.
Law enforcement officers already use preliminary breath tests in the field to estimate drivers' blood alcohol content. But no similar portable tool exists to test for marijuana impairment via a breath sample.
WSU chemistry Professor Herbert Hill said that existing technologies - including those already used by airport security and customs agents to detect drugs and explosives - can be repurposed to test breath for THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana.
Hill said he and WSU doctoral student Jessica Tufariello are working on a handheld device that uses a technique called ion mobility spectrometry to detect THC in someone's breath.
Right now, officers and prosecutors rely on blood tests to determine how much active THC is present in a driver's blood. Those test results aren't immediately available to patrol officers who suspect someone is driving high.
Initiative 502, which legalized recreational marijuana use in Washington, set 5 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood as the legal limit at which a driver is automatically determined to be impaired.
Initially, the marijuana breath test under development at WSU probably won't be able to pinpoint the level of THC in the body; it will only tell officers that some active THC is present, Hill said.
Still, Hill said such a tool could prove helpful to officers as they decide whether to arrest a suspected impaired driver.
"We believe at least initially that it would lower the false positives that an officer would have," Hill said. "They would have a higher level of confidence in making an arrest."
Law enforcement agencies still would have to obtain follow-up test results to use as evidence in court, just as they do following a positive preliminary breath test for alcohol impairment.
Hill said he and and his research team plan to finish laboratory tests with a prototype marijuana breath test this year, then start testing human breath between January and June of 2015.
After that, the researchers plan to test a version of the device out in the field, he said.
Some lawmakers at a Nov. 21 meeting of the Senate Law & Justice Committee appeared impressed by the research.
"WSU is going to be at the forefront, it seems to me, of supplying this kind of science and the technology that's based on it to police all over the country," said Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle.
Bob Calkins, a spokesman for the Washington State Patrol, said the agency would "welcome anything that will help us get impaired drivers off the road."
He said the State Patrol wouldn't want to use any new technology until it is fully developed, though.
"It needs to be rock solid before we'll adopt it," Calkins said.
Some state officials have expressed concern about increasing numbers of drivers testing positive for marijuana impairment since the drug was legalized in Washington.
In 2012, 18.6 percent of blood samples taken from suspected impaired drivers in Washington tested positive for active THC, according to the Washington State Toxicology Laboratory.
That number rose to 25 percent of tested blood samples statewide in 2013, the first year I-502 was in effect.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
This may not work the way smarty pants Professor Hill thinks it will. Professor Hill needs to do something else with his extensive chemistry knowledge. I bet dogs work better than this contraption. Always persecuting the pot smoker.

Hell 80% of the impaired drivers did not even test positive for THC. Wonder what the percentage of impaired drivers only tested positive for THC but no other substance. I bet close to 0%.

Samples need to be in vapour phase for detection in an IMS system. Vapour samples are analysed directly by drawing in sample flows containing the analyte of interest – CWA’s, TICs and some volatile explosives are detected in this way. Some samples, such as involatile explosives and many narcotic compounds, need to be heated to create enough vapour for detection. In this latter case, sample material released by thermal desorption is swept into the reaction region of the detector, usually by a small gas flow.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Found another article where Professor hill is spouting more nonsense. This guy is just wasting taxpayer money. You can find pictures of him on WSU website with his friends drinking alcohol at his house. Hypocrites!

Hill suggests that at first the tool under development won't be able to pinpoint THC levels but will help law enforcement determine that a driver has been using marijuana.

"We believe at least initially that it would lower the false positives that an officer would have," Hill said.

State officials and law enforcement agencies say they welcome the efforts of Washington State University but indicate that a breath test for marijuana would be adopted only when it proves to be extremely reliable.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014...-being-developed/3781417296916/#ixzz3KYgEY0C3

St. Phatty

Maybe I should stop driving.

There's (almost) always THC in my blood.

and American cops have shown, they are not worthy of trust.

I'm not sure my Guardian Angel policy covers cop-stops.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Like Alcohol, LEO and Governments are coming around to the idea that some MJ is OK, lots is not... A joint the night / hours before sleep/food is OK, if you just toked, it is not. Years ago I was told here (Spain) to say, if I tested positive, that it was from the day before. The Saliva test is Boolean (Yes/No) but if you have an accident and get a blood test, they can tell what you had and when, making any lies and denials fail miserably... But, if you just get a simple roadside test, make sure you have low levels in your breath.

How do you do this ? Simples, like Alcohol, it is a breath test, not really a "proper" test.... so you simply make sure your breath is clean by eating, drinking and smoking (cigarettes) Scoffing mints or anything strong tasting works wonders.

dddaver

Veteran
Like Alcohol, LEO and Governments are coming around to the idea that some MJ is OK, lots is not... A joint the night / hours before sleep/food is OK, if you just toked, it is not. Years ago I was told here (Spain) to say, if I tested positive, that it was from the day before. The Saliva test is Boolean (Yes/No) but if you have an accident and get a blood test, they can tell what you had and when, making any lies and denials fail miserably... But, if you just get a simple roadside test, make sure you have low levels in your breath.

How do you do this ? Simples, like Alcohol, it is a breath test, not really a "proper" test.... so you simply make sure your breath is clean by eating, drinking and smoking (cigarettes) Scoffing mints or anything strong tasting works wonders.

Love it. Beat before it even started. Uh...Tic-Tac anyone? :biggrin:

Betterhaff

Veteran
Initially, the marijuana breath test under development at WSU probably won't be able to pinpoint the level of THC in the body; it will only tell officers that some active THC is present, Hill said.
I’m not sure how a roadside breathalyzer test for THC would work other than giving an excuse for a further blood test that would have to be performed by a technician. At present a blood test is the only accurate determination of active THC in one’s system. And active THC metabolizes pretty quickly. Probably the best way to avoid any issues is to try and stall any roadside tests or not drive for a short bit after consuming.

Unfortunately in my state if you refuse a roadside test you lose your license whether convicted or not (for alcohol). I’m sure down the road this will apply to any roadside tests for THC as well.
... But, if you just get a simple roadside test, make sure you have low levels in your breath.

Not trying to discredit you for this but this is not necessarily accurate information. Masking alcohol use will not fool a breathalyzer test for alcohol if you are over the limit. You might think masking will fool the cops but I doubt it.

A breathalyzer measures the amount of breath alcohol which is then converted to the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) by means of a partition ratio. If you are over the limit nothing you eat or drink or smoke will affect this. The only thing that will eliminate alcohol from the body is time, and that depends on a person’s metabolism.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I’m not sure how a roadside breathalyzer test for THC would work other than giving an excuse for a further blood test that would have to be performed by a technician. At present a blood test is the only accurate determination of active THC in one’s system. And active THC metabolizes pretty quickly. Probably the best way to avoid any issues is to try and stall any roadside tests or not drive for a short bit after consuming.

Unfortunately in my state if you refuse a roadside test you lose your license whether convicted or not (for alcohol). I’m sure down the road this will apply to any roadside tests for THC as well.
Not trying to discredit you for this but this is not necessarily accurate information. Masking alcohol use will not fool a breathalyzer test for alcohol if you are over the limit. You might think masking will fool the cops but I doubt it.

A breathalyzer measures the amount of breath alcohol which is then converted to the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) by means of a partition ratio. If you are over the limit nothing you eat or drink or smoke will affect this. The only thing that will eliminate alcohol from the body is time, and that depends on a person’s metabolism.

Trust me, it is. I "came into posession" of a UK Police breathalyser, read the instructions.. "Do not under any circumstances alow the subject to eat, drink or smoke anything before the test" .. so we tested it out on drunks, it makes a massive difference.

Just a few days ago we got stopped at a Control Alcohemia, (in Spain) my mate driving got tested, after 4 or 5 beers, I had passed him 3 Fishermens friend mints seconds before, he passed with a 0.00. I have also had the same, once they saw me scoffing a handful of peanuts as I pulled up, so took me off to the big machine in the back of the car, also 0.00. That time I was also smoking a J, good old Citrus Magic aerosol neutralised that odour in the car, free to go, no problems.

Betterhaff

Veteran
If you had that experience I will not argue but for somebody to test at 0.00 after having 4 or 5 beers, even with eating something, something must have been wrong with the machine. Or maybe the machines in use over there are older technology.

4 or 5 beers would put the average person at or over the legal limit of .08 here, depending on how long it took to consume them. And usually they make you test more than once if they suspect alcohol consumption.

I recall someone who was stopped and tested at .04 which is legal and they waited about 20 to 30 minutes to retest…what they were trying to determine was whether or not his BAC was going up or down. It remained the same so they had to let him go. To me that’s close to harassment.