What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Boondocking, Dry Campin and such.

RandyMarsh

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

I'm currently saving money to convert a van into a livable camping space and to use it to travel this summer (and hopefully through winter as well, if all goes to plan.). I dont plan on using campsites with fees, rather I'll be relying on blending in around urban environments, and dry camping on public land. I feel the need to explore, and this seems the best way for me.

Has anyone else done some van/camper living? I'm currently looking at a few older (80's) chevy/ford/dodge conversion vans. I'm thinking one of these would be the best choice. I figure I'll be re-doing all the interior though, unless I come across one that already has a decent set-up.

Here's my list of things I'm planning to install over spring:
-Water supply
-Deep Cycle batteries
-Newer small Honda generator (For long stays while dry camping)
-Low wattage pc (something to do basic work on)
-LCD Monitor (19' I think. Haven't researched much on how much power they use, yet.)
-Air Mattress bed (lighter than a normal mattress, and easy to store)
-Countertop Propane Stove
-Cooler

I'm sure someone else here has done this. Any tips?

An air mattress will not stand up to everyday use. I traveled for 3 years, went thru 4 before investing in a good piece of foam.
Security is a big concern these days.
Good Luck!

Molson

As far as air mattresses go, were you thinking of something like a Thermarest or something similar designed for camping? Seems like a more viable choice than a 'inside' air mattress. But if you were thinking of the latter type, I'd make sure to have plenty of patch material on hand. Subject to rough abuse its bound to pop sooner or later.

I met a kid in his early twenties a while back who had lived out of a van traveling cross country. He was fucked in the head though. You sound ambitious, just don't loose any marbles on the way... hehe

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
you can pretty much park in any wal-mart parking lot
over night and they don't mind. they actually let people
do it in hopes someone like you, or a family with an RV
will go in and buy something.

RandyMarsh

I actually hadn't considered foam, but I do think that's a better choice for me. Thanks for the tip. Some of those foam mattress can be a dece sleep.

Haha, I've met a few van nomads that were a little beyond sanity. Still, most of them seemed to have it together more than most 'normal' people I encounter around here.

I'm actually acquiring an atlas my friend recommended. Apparently it lists all the WalMart locations. I plan to use their lots on occasion (overnight stays).

This is the van I'm looking at right now:
4129fl5_20.jpeg

The interior is really well kept and runs very smooth for an '85. Looks like it will blend in nicely too.