What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bocking 14 Russian Comfrey is a BEAST!!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Animal fodder, fermented fertilizer, compost, what ever you use comfrey for this cultivar is amazingly robust.

Rooted crown two months ago with no leaves... here it is today needing a bit of water
20220731_130628.jpg

After water...
20220801_202236.jpg

Holy Rat balls Batman!!!

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
knew an old grower on north coast nsw aust.. he just used to put the leaves in water where they broke down (putrified) quicker than anything, his satties loved it....is the bocking 14 the sterile one?

Douglas.Curtis

I'm growing the crown out for the season, then I'll be chopping it up specifically to make hundreds. heheheh Sucks how bindweed is the same way. lolol

Douglas.Curtis

knew an old grower on north coast nsw aust.. he just used to put the leaves in water where they broke down (putrified) quicker than anything, his satties loved it....is the bocking 14 the sterile one?
Indeed, comfrey breaks down rapidly in water and makes a great vegetative fertilizer. When you use lacto bacillus the smell is not awful, it makes a lacto fermented fertilizer. :D I'll be researching both methods for sure. :)

Rico Swazi

Bump
How's it goin DC ?

I sell plants, feed rabbits and make liquid fertilizer. This is my first comfrey plant, so next season it begins with vigor!! lol

Yes, like horseradish and mint plants, they are always in containers. Excellent point!!
Found an old pic from 2017, recently harvested comfrey in container

IMG_1648.JPG

Grown comfrey for years and found best biomass production happened when grown in the ground though you do get a good amount if your container is 25 gal or better. Wouldn't go smaller tho as the saying goes, 'as above, so is below'. Might I also suggest leaving your root/crown intact for a couple years to better establish health.

stem cuttings work extremely well as an alternative to bifurcation lol. Good luck and keep us posted.

Douglas.Curtis

Hail and well met :)

My comfrey is currently overwintering. :) The single crown split to 4 during the short grow season. I had planted it in a ball of dirt on top of a large pile of rabbit manure and hay. Oh yeah! ;)

Rico Swazi

Hail and well wet at times too!:)

the hail you say.JPG

container beast shown earlier in it's glory days ;)

container comfrey beast.JPG

at 45N in the PNW mine are waking up
divided several couple days ago that were ready, gave them to friends
ready= crown offshoot from main plant...division rather than bifurcation
(of course you already knew that DC lol!.. :geek:
20230201_115313.jpg

20230201_115609.jpg

One last thing
you can add mulching with the leaves to your research
pic name indicates the date taken, 8 ft ladder for scale,

6-7-2018.JPG

8-2-2018.JPG

8-13-2018.JPG

8-28-2018.JPG

lastly the last thing...
I have a cooler full of dried /chopped comfrey at all times .
Sealed containers keep it from turning to dust over time
Great soil amendment indoor and out

Latest posts

Latest posts