What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue Sonja bx1 males

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Let me apologize in advance, I have no photos to share right now, I've got no camera. But I can be pretty descriptive. I'll post photos as soon as I get a camera. I'm pricing them out right now.

I popped 2 of my Blue Sonja bx1 seeds that I've been saving for a while. Ended up with 2 males - Blue Sonnys! Two of the most gorgeous, lush, vigorous and downright stank males I've ever seen. Fucking gorgeous.

I popped both seeds about 6-7 weeks ago, didn't write down the exact date. They've been flowering since 6/4. I'm growing these ones in simple DIY DWC buckets with Floranova bloom, KoolBloom powder, a little molasses, RO water and a lot of love.

BS #1 has a reasonably narrow sativa-leaning leaf shape, but has a short, stout structure with unusually thick branches at the nodes. Kind of like knuckles. But this guy is all about the smell - he's the gnarliest smelling plant I've ever grown. I'm so used to these fruity sweet plants, but there is not a hint of fruit or sweetness anywhere in this dude. So refreshingly awful! He's extremely redolent of garlic and kerosene, with a secondary funk that you can't really smell in the front of your nose but can almost taste way in the back of your sinuses... you know how when you go to the mall and walk past the Regis styling salon and they're giving some lady a perm? It's that smell dead on. When you rub a stem and smell your fingers you have to turn your head away. Disgusting and foul. I love it!

BS #2 has very wide indica-type leaves but is taller (almost 3 inches) and stretchier in structure. The mondo fat leaves make it appear much more vigorous overall. The serrations on the edges of the blades are very large and exaggerated, and kind of rounded. He smells like juniper bushes and fresh tomato vines, with a subtle, dreamy underlying sweetness. Not as powerful smelling as BS #1, but very complex and definitely more pleasant. I can imagine walking into a room filled with smoke that smells like this and having my cockles deeply warmed.

A couple of structural differences are quite pronounced. BS#2 is is still maintaining roughly opposite phyllotaxy, while BS#1 went into alternate phyllotaxy almost immediately into the stretch. The roots on BS#2 are fat and stubby like furry spaghetti, while BS#1's roots are really long and stringy like surfer girl hair.

I saved multiple copies of both plants in soil while they were in veg, and I've isolated the mature males, I'm going to let these ones drop a little pollen before I take them down. I've got a really lanky, heady Power Plant, and that's supposed to be a stable IBL, so she's getting the paintbrush routine. I've also got a Mendo Purps and a Pot Of Gold in early flower. I'll probably hit them too. Maybe he'll add some brain power to that skunk/kush PoG piledrive.

Props to Steele for working this great gear. Both of these plants are real standouts so far. I'll definitely post reports on the progeny when we get to that point. Once again, sorry about the lack of photos, I'm a cheapass with no camera. Photos will come.

My remaining 8 Blue Sonja bx1's will have to wait in line, I've got some Deep Congo, T*HazexSk1, some of those Adventurously Mixed Spice of Life (could be Sweet Tooth, could be Blockhead) and a few choice bagseeds sprouting right now, and I'm out of room for now. But soon! :headbange

G

guest3854

Pond , I typed up some shit just to have my connection drop . Basically , just wanted to say I'm stoked to hear that you think these males are pretty stellar . I look forward in hearing tha results of your resulting progeny . I would like to encourage you to get a camera , not only to share pics but also to document . Pictures help facilitate memorable characteristics .....

Be safe ,
Steele

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Thanks for looking in, Steele. :wave:

Okay, figured out how to use my lady's iPhone and her damn Macintosh and managed to get some photos on my thumb drive. I only have access to Blue Sonny #2 right now, his brother is still in the flowering room and it's dark in there. But I'll snap a few later on tonight.

Blue Sonja #2 is the more Indica-dominant of the 2. Here's the whole plant - at least what's left of it....

...after I chopped it down to a single branch.

Here's a shot of the leaf structure. Those blades are 8 inches long - I have pretty huge meathooks.

...better run through the jungle.

The iPhone won't take a close up worth a damn. All the shots I took of the flowers are just a blur. I just wish I could post the smell. The sweet juniper aroma from #2 is so nice. And the stench from #1 is so foul.

I topped both Blue Sonjas at the 5th node, and they grew into stout green beachballs. In about 2 weeks they stretched about 3X total and the branch structure thickened up significantly. Once they showed their sex, I pruned them back to a single branch to better keep an eye on floral development. Blue Sonja #2 went into the flowering room a few days before #1, so I took him out last night to keep him from getting too excited and having his way with my ladies before I'm ready. I plan on isolating them, collecting pollen separately and pollinating separate branches/plants on different days to better evaluate these guys.

My breeding goals are mainly based on quality of effect and lowered potential for tolerance. I use pot mainly as a mood stabilizer/antidepressant. I use it pretty much all day and I don't like to be zonked out (unless my back is in spasm - bring on the couchlock!). I still haven't sampled any Blue Sonja, but based upon your description it's got that quality in its genes. I'm tired of all the mersh varieties available at the clubs around here, both meds and clones. I've finally got a veg chamber of my own, and a friend who recently fell ill and got his recommendation is going to start another veg chamber for me to use, so I actually have the ability to embark on a breeding venture now. I mean shit, I used to have to root clones on top of my refrigerator! :biglaugh:

Last edited:
G

guest3854

Pond , they look great . Yer last post of pics , they look very similar to Sonja in architecture . CornBread AKA Old Family Red , also made a comment on tha leaf blades "lookin' like saw blades" , heavy leaf serrations and folding over , exactly as Sonja's leafs do .

Hella thanks fer sharing ,
Be well ,
Steele