What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Black market" experience on a resume

Nannymouse

420giveaway
You mentioned that you have lab experience, so i was wondering about your formal education status. Not that it's a needful thing in the business, but if you already have some college credits or degrees, perhaps you could move into a 'different' area of the industry by expanding on current educational level. For instance, i'm old, but do have a degree in the teaching field, plus some experience, so if i were to ever go back to work and go for a cannabis job, it would probably be in some form of education. I'm sure that 'not much' is available in the education arena, but i do see local colleges/universities trending in the cannabis related courses and degrees. The closest to me, uses hops, in place of cannabis.

At my age and physical state, i doubt that a 'greenhouse' or trimming job would be in my best interest.

As mentioned before, there are so many 'related' job opportunities.

awwc

The cannabis industry is not inviting, the only position outsiders often get is trimmer. The main reason for this is pretty simple, there are MANY people who have risked it in a big way, if you can operate with that kind of pressure and have grown herb that is good af and know your genetics and hash/extraction all in one, then you might land a job, if you have not there is a very small chance.

This is the harsh reality.

awwc

The main issue is that operators often already know ten or more people that grew illegally, they will offer them salary to compensate for the grow they run right now that's usually how it goes !!

Redrum92

The cannabis industry is not inviting, the only position outsiders often get is trimmer. The main reason for this is pretty simple, there are MANY people who have risked it in a big way, if you can operate with that kind of pressure and have grown herb that is good af and know your genetics and hash/extraction all in one, then you might land a job, if you have not there is a very small chance.

This is the harsh reality.
What makes you think I'm an "outsider"? This account is 8 years old.

The transition from black market to regulated is unprecedented in history, and can be awkward to manage. Most of the USA has recently legalized, or will be soon legalizing. There have to be thousands of prohibition growers who are confronting the awkward resume situation

Last edited:

awwc

What makes you think I'm an "outsider"? This account is 8 years old.

The transition from black market to regulated is unprecedented in history, and can be awkward to manage. Most of the USA has recently legalized, or will be soon legalizing. There have to be thousands of prohibition growers who are confronting the awkward resume situation
Maybe as a consumer but as far as production goes it's a really really really small world actually, if you ran a 100+ lighet 8 years ago then I excuse myself.

awwc

I'd like to hear anecdotal opinions and advice: Is there anything one could do if they were living in an area of the USA that would be legalizing in the next 5 years to get a stronger resume for the cannabis industry?

It seems a paradox; how does one get experience for the legal industry while it is illegal? Many things can't be put on resumes. Does one really say to a square company with square investors: "Oh yes, I'm very experienced with felonies. I have over a decade doing them."

The industry is sketchy and sad, but I would still love to be involved, to get to tinker, experiment, and learn in this new era of weed. I happily live off <50k/year, and don't expect/need to be making much more than that. Just for the joy.

Edit: (tl;dr) I dont care about retail, branding, money, climbing the ladder, etc. I want to delve deep into the world of cannabis with the resources a company can provide. Breeding, organic soil, extraction methods, etc, the science is what interests me. I am not looking for a traditional "career" as most define it. I'm looking for a hobby that pays a meager amount.
You know, reading this again I think you either are dreaming OR you may not have worded yourself well enough.

So as I understand it, you want to just study Cannabis? There are plenty of ways to do that the only caveat is you will have to do that by yourself or you pay tuition to a mentor, nobody will teach you anything,

Like I said this is one of the most unwelcoming industries to outsiders, this is why you see so many people run trash genetics because people literally will trojan horse operations to fck the suits up which I adore by the way, y'all raided our grows when it was illegal now the same suit that did that (literally sometimes!!!) is growing, haha hold uppppppppp

Redrum92

You know, reading this again I think you either are dreaming OR you may not have worded yourself well enough.

So as I understand it, you want to just study Cannabis? There are plenty of ways to do that the only caveat is you will have to do that by yourself or you pay tuition to a mentor, nobody will teach you anything,

Like I said this is one of the most unwelcoming industries to outsiders, this is why you see so many people run trash genetics because people literally will trojan horse operations to fck the suits up which I adore by the way, y'all raided our grows when it was illegal now the same suit that did that (literally sometimes!!!) is growing, haha hold uppppppppp

There are lots of things concerning my experience I'd rather not state directly and I am aware that's quite confusing. Unfortunate necessity.

awwc

I think you mean it well you are just incredibly naive that's the main issue, I would hire you actually but you would have to work as a trimmer for a year or so and in that year show what you know about the plant, anecdotaly, historically and simply genetics wise, if I deemed you good enough I would promote you. 95% of people running cannabis businesses don't think like me though.

For now, I wish you good luck.

awwc

There are lots of things concerning my experience I'd rather not state directly and I am aware that's quite confusing. Unfortunate necessity.
Well you can always talk about genetics doesn't have to be you telling us about you essentially breaking the law.

I can ask you simple questions that would determine if you are worthy of a position to be honest.

Redrum92

I think you mean it well you are just incredibly naive that's the main issue, I would hire you actually but you would have to work as a trimmer for a year or so and in that year show what you know about the plant, anecdotaly, historically and simply genetics wise, if I deemed you good enough I would promote you. 95% of people running cannabis businesses don't think like me though.

For now, I wish you good luck.

Idk why you have convinced yourself that you know me, and know I don't have skill beyond trimming. Read between the lines little further of my last few posts. Thank you for your time and ideas.

awwc

Idk why you have convinced yourself that you know me, and know I don't have skill beyond trimming. Read between the lines little further of my last few posts. Thank you for your time and ideas.
There is a difference between having skills and being able to monetize them in a job. I know by the way you are typing you are incredibly naive and I love naive people because they tend to be quite honest.

awwc

Since I have to wait for something ,let me kill some time here, I know plenty of people in the industry I could connect you with to be honest. Tell me what some of your skills are, may also be a DM.

Cheers, not all critical people come from a bad intention.

awwc

^You seem to have inferred a lot about what qualifications and experience I do or don't have. Maybe I have a great resume in many areas, or none. Maybe I've ventured time into many trades already.

The question was, essentially, about the paradox you often see/used to see in computer programming hiring ads: "requires 5+ years experience in 'new C÷' language, (which was invented 2 years ago)". How does one claim to have experience with an industry which ostensibly was not taking place before legalization? Or do they mostly start entry level?

Also, you seemed to have missed the point where I'm not doing this to improve my financial situation. I live very simply. Not to mention, I know 2 people who make good money out west with less than a year of experience... so, I know it can be done, I was more requesting lessons learned from (more than 2, ideally) people who had actually done it. I'm doing this because I think it would be an adventure. I probably see the world differently from your average human; I may have different goals and interests. Thanks for your help.
^You seem to have inferred a lot about what qualifications and experience I do or don't have. Maybe I have a great resume in many areas, or none. Maybe I've ventured time into many trades already.

The question was, essentially, about the paradox you often see/used to see in computer programming hiring ads: "requires 5+ years experience in 'new C÷' language, (which was invented 2 years ago)". How does one claim to have experience with an industry which ostensibly was not taking place before legalization? Or do they mostly start entry level?

Also, you seemed to have missed the point where I'm not doing this to improve my financial situation. I live very simply. Not to mention, I know 2 people who make good money out west with less than a year of experience... so, I know it can be done, I was more requesting lessons learned from (more than 2, ideally) people who had actually done it. I'm doing this because I think it would be an adventure. I probably see the world differently from your average human; I may have different goals and interests. Thanks for your help.
To answer you this question, cannabis is a plant, just another flowering plant, there are plenty of people with extremely high levels of understanding of plants in their own right. These people often get top consultancy they understand photosynthesis on a deep level, soil biology etc.

Genetics wise it's a different story you have to be a ''street'' person for the most part that's what comes with it.

Ca++

If you want to work for someone, you need experience. A plant nursery is just that. Bug spotting is the same, no matter the plant. Trimming with machines is a labour based job, with skills like no criminal record and a good back being needed. If you already grew pot, and have ideas how things should be done, I probably wouldn't want you. I want to be the boss, and show you how I want to do it. Unless you are coming with a serious background, as a consultant.

Seriously, I don't like talking with most established growers. Let alone work with them. If they can't measure yield with a ruler and a calendar, I have no interest.

Redrum92

To answer you this question, cannabis is a plant, just another flowering plant, there are plenty of people with extremely high levels of understanding of plants in their own right. These people often get top consultancy they understand photosynthesis on a deep level, soil biology etc.

Genetics wise it's a different story you have to be a ''street'' person for the most part that's what comes with it.
There is a difference between having skills and being able to monetize them in a job. I know by the way you are typing you are incredibly naive and I love naive people because they tend to be quite honest.
I know a couple people managing legal grows. They definitely don't have any sort of formal education, let alone degrees in "soil biology". I'm not trying to run a billion dollar company and make 99.999999% pure THC. I'm trying to bring the joy of buds to people without the pain of prohibition. Trust me on this: that's not that hard.

I have no reason to believe I am underqualified to get into the basics, but apparently you know for sure, just by deducing I "sound naive". If we're interpreting linguistic style here, I'd say you're stubborn, sticking to your first impression, and more or less repeating the same thing with mediocre grammar, rhetoric, and debate skills.

I gotcha: I'm clearly too naive to grow quality bud. Thank you for your opinion and time. I will take your opinion into consideration, though I'm not sure what you intend me to do- "don't even try to get better; don't take on new challenges"?

I'll take you at your word that your critical nature is coming from good intent, but we are caught in a frustrating loop of not understanding each other, so I'm gonna move on. Thanks again for the effort and time. I apologize for the confusion caused by my lack of ability to go into detail with some of my experience/qualifications

Last edited:

Redrum92

If you want to work for someone, you need experience. A plant nursery is just that. Bug spotting is the same, no matter the plant. Trimming with machines is a labour based job, with skills like no criminal record and a good back being needed. If you already grew pot, and have ideas how things should be done, I probably wouldn't want you. I want to be the boss, and show you how I want to do it. Unless you are coming with a serious background, as a consultant.

Seriously, I don't like talking with most established growers. Let alone work with them. If they can't measure yield with a ruler and a calendar, I have no interest.

Thank you for the helpful post. Yea, I'm set in my ways for my personal grows, but half of my interest in getting into it legally would be to learn the larger scale methods from truly more qualified people. Again, I have experience, I am just not comfortable stating exactly how much. I'm nowhere near consultant level, that is true. Wouldn't you rather "dial in" a mostly competent grower than have to teach someone what NPK means, etc?

I have a spotless legal record, my back is great, and I've worked plenty of 12-16 hour days in very physically and mentally taxing jobs. I can definitely use a calendar/Excel

Last edited: