What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Black Light's" Have You Tried Them?

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
I thought I mite get a census of every one's experience that has tried to grow with either black light a lone or a combo of black light and normal grow light or have tried CFL black light with or without other normal CFL's. Was your grow good or bad? In general what was your experience like? I've heard stories and arguments both for and against them. Do they help THC production or not.? What are the benefits if any in using black light? I want to hear your stories. :smoke: :thinking::dunno:

Ghostwolf

Veteran
Does no one have exprience trying to grow with Black Light's, anyone? :dunno:

Ghostwolf

Veteran
I use a large "2 foot" UV-B bulb during flowering, I think it increases gland production.
Thanks for the reply, I've read a little about using UV-B light and the benefits from it. Question I heard that Black Light isn't really true UV-B, do you know if that's true?:smoker:

There has been an urban legend for ever about crazy potent weed grown under a black light. I believe that's all there is to it.

I suppose they might provide some supplemental lighting under the right conditions but ...:dunno: ...why bother?

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
So wait. . . am I using the wrong spectrum again?
picture.php

In all seriousness, most "blacklights" are near UV, and have a spectral peak output around 370nm. What you're looking for is UV-B output, which is around 310-280nm.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
There has been an urban legend for ever about crazy potent weed grown under a black light. I believe that's all there is to it.

I suppose they might provide some supplemental lighting under the right conditions but ...:dunno: ...why bother?
Thanks for your reply, Mainly because my girlfriend tells me that back in the 70's she had a friend that grew that way and claims to have seem the grow with the light's on and also smoked the harvest with her friend and that it was good. I for one don't think she's lying but I still have no proof. And then reading about other people that experimented with it all having mixed results so still no definite proof. I was thinking that it mite be good in the red and blue spectrum when used with other light's, but that it may not be intense enough light. And if you had one anyway what would be the harm to try and find out once and for all. I was just wondering if any one had actually tried that before and knew.:thinking:I would still like to hear any one's stories that has tried.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
So wait. . . am I using the wrong spectrum again?
picture.php

In all seriousness, most "blacklights" are near UV, and have a spectral peak output around 370nm. What you're looking for is UV-B output, which is around 310-280nm.
Thank you, I was wondering about just that type of thing. I have seen CFL Black Light's and thought about adding it to the other normal light's and if it would be good or maybe alone. I certainly don't think it would hurt to try. Thanks for the information.:smoke:

razor ridge

The regions of the world that produce the most potent MJ, naturally in the great outdoors, happens to be the regions of the Earth that receive the highest UV-B exposure, the increased gland production is thought to be a shielding mechanism for the plant to protect the leaf surface from the UV-B.....so I've read.....

*mr.mike*

The regions of the world that produce the most potent MJ, naturally in the great outdoors, happens to be the regions of the Earth that receive the highest UV-B exposure, the increased gland production is thought to be a shielding mechanism for the plant to protect the leaf surface from the UV-B.....so I've read.....

Maybe the plants have adapted to the UV levels in that area... meaning that a plant not adapted would only be harmed, as opposed to benefit from the light.

For example Afghanistan.... Mazar e Sharif has an altitude of only 1210 ft. Kandahar is less than 4000 ft. The higher uv levels are at higher altitudes. You don't find much cannabis growing at a mile high or more, even in regions where these more tolerant varieties do grow.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
From: Mr Mike: quote;Maybe the plants have adapted to the UV levels in that area... meaning that a plant not adapted would only be harmed, as opposed to benefit from the light.

For example Afghanistan.... Mazar e Sharif has an altitude of only 1210 ft. Kandahar is less than 4000 ft. The higher uv levels are at higher altitudes. You don't find much cannabis growing at a mile high or more, even in regions where these more tolerant varieties do grow. :smokey:Thanks for the reply, Denver, CO. is a mile high and I know they grow there.:smokeit:

Ghostwolf

Veteran
Yes I do remember reading years ago in High Times about the excellent weed grown at the higher elevations, and I used to know someone that grew in the mountains in Colorado and it was good smoke.:smokeit:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Yup I'd have to agree with you mike, it's most likely an adaptive response to field conditions that's strongly correlated with a genotype. I'd hazard to guess that some cultivars will have this response to increases of UV-B and some will just get a sunburn.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
Yup I'd have to agree with you mike, it's most likely an adaptive response to field conditions that's strongly correlated with a genotype. I'd hazard to guess that some cultivator's will have this response to increases of UV-B and some will just get a sunburn.
That's good, I was just reading tonight about adapting plants to UV-B thru limited UV-B exposure and gradually increasing the time until you have the desired level of exposure to them. I guess that would be like adapting plants at different elevations over time?:smokeit: