What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biopiracy in the search for Landraces.<--on going discussion, please be civil in your choice of words and grammer.

Somatek

I was wondering why you need to brush with all the males around.
Marketing to people who don't understand breeding, isolation distances or controlled pollination most likely. Logically there's no reason to selectively pollinate females in a mixed field as you'd have no clue what male produced the seeds. Looks like they're doing something important to the uneducated though

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Feminized seeds won't produce what? More seed when pollinated, or do you mean not giving reg seed for reproduction of the given strain?

Unless they are indoor, their best option would be to hybridize with local genetics, and I am sure they had plenty of males. ;)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think in their video to Malawi they showed the 'strain hunters' trading feminized seeds to the growers for their good seeds. The feminized seeds won't reproduce so the growers lose their ability to grow crops thus destroying their livelyhood.

Thank Gypsy, not every board owner is so agreeable.
yes they will reproduce , those growers have other seeds growing at the same time , the males will pollinate the female plants ,, hey presto , seeds will be made.
its not great practise for companies to be doing such stuff , but it really is just a drop in the ocean ,
the local variety will dominate over the introduced seeds and it wont take long before its hardly noticed ...
i dont agree with it being done , but its not the end of the world ...

fArside617

They sell their seeds to these "seed hunters" at such shockingly low prices that none of them will admit to how much they actually bought them

Not to be contrarian and I am sure old school weed could have crazy effects, not arguing that ok?

Just saying, I can't trust strangers' opinions on strains on the internet. Take a look at this review in the Congo thread by ace. I have grown a few of these and the effect is very mild, energising and makes you want to do stuff. Somehow this guy says he was seeing CARTOON DOGS COMING OUT OF THE RUG. Yea sure buddy, you surely did. You just can't trust smoke reports on the internet. There are just too many re
There are way to treat the plant as its growing
I think in their video to Malawi they showed the 'strain hunters' trading feminized seeds to the growers for their good seeds. The feminized seeds won't reproduce so the growers lose their ability to grow crops thus destroying their livelyhood.

AYE no way. Maybe in the SH guys eyes its a good trade? product for product? Not in my eyes unless its pound for pound you know?

fArside617

I'm hoping to get an understanding of whether or not the industries growers have traditionally payed homage to who they got the seed for hybridization from. The question comes after reading an article HERE ; This link taks you to GrowOpportunites... any ways.. this is for school...

So after reading this my impression is that people like the strain hunters guys didn't ever compensate anyone for the seeds they took. But then I got to ask where the moral stance is on this?
I'm not really sure that patenting a Hybrid developed from two land races is wrong? but it feel wrong to patent the actual land race...
this is a real topic of conversation atm..
Ever since I had seen the strain hunters videos i had always wondered whether they actually formed partnerships or payed royalties after using those seeds from the farmers.
Anyways, please share your stories, insight and experiences with this here IF you so dare.
Hey folks,
Just wanted to thank everyone for partaking in this little social experiment for school. It was great to see so many opinions especially hmong and djonkoman... legendary shit you two,
Thanks again! keep it going if you want, ill dip in and out real gentle like... mmmmmmm

grayeyes

Feminized seeds won't produce what? More seed when pollinated, or do you mean not giving reg seed for reproduction of the given strain?

Unless they are indoor, their best option would be to hybridize with local genetics, and I am sure they had plenty of males. ;)
If you are growing your entire livelihood on feminized seed you get ONE harvest.

grayeyes

yes they will reproduce , those growers have other seeds growing at the same time , the males will pollinate the female plants ,, hey presto , seeds will be made.
its not great practise for companies to be doing such stuff , but it really is just a drop in the ocean ,
the local variety will dominate over the introduced seeds and it wont take long before its hardly noticed ...
i dont agree with it being done , but its not the end of the world ...
How many generations will feminized seed reproduce? I believe the answer is ONE.

grayeyes

Mr. Curtis, got really sharp razor blades for splitting those hairs?

romanoweed

if i have 1) a normal male Plant. So it has balls, and it sheds pollen over 2) a feminized Plant.

then i get what?

- regular seeds
- feminized seeds
- hermies

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thank you so much, logically minded growers, your comments are appreciated. Straight facts are so nice.

Yes, the crop will produce regular seeds according to the number of pollinated females. The use of feminized seed has nothing to do with it.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Edit: Feminized pollen can also be used for a crop of feminized seeds.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Imo spreading shitty genetics has a big impact on the local cannabis. And with shitty i mean not suited for the environment. I have not seen much of world wide cannabis but the weed in jamaica compared with that in st lucia or st vincent/grenadines was eye opening. Looked good with lots of resin but was mediocre at best. All who know know this happend because of the modern genetics brought to jam in the late 80's.
What happens to strains after f20 or further? You can see it in jam.
And no the local varieties are not "stronger" necessarily. Imagine some bld in a valley full of nld. The early bld will pollinate most of the nld before the nld males are ready. Next year a lot of hybrides will grow and the nld will be gone or some shitty mixup after few generations.

Last edited:

IndicaFarmer

the seeds will reproduce, there surely is plenty of bushweed pollen floating about to hybridize with the feminized seed stock given out. I do agree that it is not the best to grow the dutch crap in africa or wherever though. I'd rather have the purer landraces myself.

grayeyes

IF, thanks for understanding what I was saying. There are others here who prefer to sharpen razor blades for their hair splitting arguments.

grayeyes

Greenhouse seeds? - I'm not aware of their 'practices' - whatever they are - and no - they don't advertise here -

- Can you give me some proof that Greenhouse Seeds have destroyed any native economies - that would be outrageous - if it is as you say so -
- and why should I ban you - for having a conversation? - lol
"in the Strain Hunters Malawi Arjan says that he wants to provide African growers with feminised seed --- just watch the video" ngakpa 8.31.10 on this board and me above. The point was GH is destroying landrace strains by trading his hybrid seed for real landrace seed. If you took a look at his website Arjan never sells the seeds he collects only hybrids..

chilliwilli

Waterboy
There was a docu in tv last few weeks about cannabis in marocco were it already happened. They have to buy now shitty fems for 50 cents(dinafem?) a piece because the marked demands it, if something happens to the crop they have great debts and the local cannabis is gone or heavy polluted with modern hybrids.
And nobody gives a shit as long as the maroc is cheap and hitting good.

exoticrobotic

Havent seen good tasty sticky hard chocolate Moroccan for ages.

It's all fudge like now with little/no taste, like the genetics have changed and/or the hash making process.

Maybe just me though... I haven't gone searching that much.

fArside617

To summerise so far:

We busted the myth that feminized seeds won't reproduce, and that realistically it is bullshit to hand over hybridized seeds for land race seeds. So ultimately the lack of ethics is in the trade values? is this correct to you all?

If there is an issue within the actual hyrbidization process sterilizing the seeds ever?
Or, has any Cannabis seed company ever went the monsanto route and added genomes from elsewhere in order to sterilize the reproductive abilities of the growing plant?