What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biopiracy in the search for Landraces.<--on going discussion, please be civil in your choice of words and grammer.

djonkoman

Veteran
proves that you know nothing about this topic
also no grow pics or other threads from you, makes you very suspect!

really?...
this post/discussion is what sets you off on a personal attack?
come on dude....

and yeah, you won't find grow pics from me here, which isn't even remotely relevant to this topic. 'makes me suspect' suspect for what?
posts/attitudes like yours are exactly why I don't invest much in this place, and why I wouldn't choose to share grow pics here.

anyway, thanks for showing yourself, not looking to make this into a fight, but for the future I know how much worth I'll put in posts from you.

Rurumo

The landrace farmers typically get shafted on seed price as well as bud price. I was just reading how the majority of cannabis farmers in Manipur have switched to growing poppies during the pandemic because the bulk price they are paid for their crop by middlemen is so terribly low, less than $10 per lb (it might have been $100/ton, can't recall). Also, I'm thinking, since the Taliban are back in power, they've banned poppy cultivation again, so the regional opium prices are probably way up. It's sad that Capitalist market pressures are forcing these farmers out of their traditional livelihood, and that the next generation is losing out on the chance to learn those skills. They sell their seeds to these "seed hunters" at such shockingly low prices that none of them will admit to how much they actually bought them for, their customers would be so disgusted at their profit margin, meanwhile the farmers themselves can't even make a subsistence wage off of selling seeds/buds (depending on location).

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
They sell the seeds for a price they are happy to sell them for - and which is negotiated to please both parties - take into account that the seed hunter might have travelled at great cost and risk from thousands of miles away to try and find seeds that could be interesting to grow where he/she comes from - and in the hands of growers and breeders he/she might know - and that is not easy to guarantee that these seeds will contain outstanding and interesting genetic content - until they are grown out and tested thousands of miles away from their original lands - before they can even be seen to be of any commercial worth -

Just trying to smuggle the seeds - or even attempt to legally import them can be full of pitfalls and extra costs to the seed hunter - who often is not so sure if the seeds are actually worth the trouble/cost and associated risks to get them from A to B - will they have a good germination ratio? - once trucked/flown/shipped half way around the world? - will customs find and confiscate them? - (this often happens) - will 'the package' just disappear in transit - due to the fact that the shipping company employees figure out that they can take the seeds - and no one makes a big fuss about it - due to legalities - safety etc -

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Ya - many things are much cheaper in foreign lands - labour particularly - the going rate for a labourer when I was building a house in the Philippines some years back was 100 pesos per day - (about $2) - and I was shocked it was so low - so shocked that I doubled their local daily rate and gave them 200 pesos per day - and EVERYBODY wanted to work for me - they were even fighting about it at the local bar/sari-sari store - seemed like much of what I gave them for working - ended up being spent on genibre and rum - maybe I contributed to alcoholism in the local area by putting more money in the labourers hands? - and I made some jealous of others - because they had a better and more profitable job - working for me - which led to drunken fights at the bar - quite often -

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
In addition to what Gypsy has said, I would like to add that one of the reasons why local varieties are being lost is the ban.

In many countries cultivation carries penalties of many years in prison and even the death penalty.
Having varieties with 6 months or more does not help and if they have access to other seeds, they will surely plant short-flowering varieties.
If it were legal and paid more, I'm sure many would plant the varieties that have been around for decades.
Because they are also adapted to that climate.

It is the responsibility of each one to conserve in the way that they can the varieties that they consider most valuable for the new generations.

Today there is a lot of information about the best way to conserve seeds and access to the internet has made it easier to have seeds from many parts of the world.
It has never been so easy to have seeds of local varieties.

Also now there is a new boom on these varieties.
They have gone from being despised to being more valued, sought after and coveted.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Usually it all comes down to economics - there might be the odd boutique breeder - who grows and breeds for personal satisfaction - even out in the middle of no-where you might just find such a person - but the vast majority are only interested in profits - and if somehow a farmer can double the yield - and so even double the profits - that makes happy farmers - as long as they have access to reasonably priced high yielding seed - and can even make their own seed - (the seeds are not sterile) - more income can give them the potential to improve their lives exponentially - it can also lead to situations as I have described above - when you realize that somehow - someway - you are doing harm - by doing what you think is good - bit of a mind-fuck that one -

Last edited:

grayeyes

So Gypsy, for your own economic pleasure you WANT Greenhouse Seeds and their practices spread across the world and to advertise on your site?
You think its okay how they destroy landraces in the push for profit at any means? And destroy the native economies? Is that your business model?

Going to ban me after this?

romanoweed

In many countries cultivation carries penalties of many years in prison and even the death penalty.
Having varieties with 6 months or more does not help and if they have access to other seeds, they will surely plant short-flowering varieties.
If it were legal and paid more, I'm sure many would plant the varieties that have been around for decades.
Because they are also adapted to that climate.

It is the responsibility of each one to conserve in the way that they can the varieties that they consider most valuable for the new generations.
thats a propper Analysis of the Problem . YES.

When even here in "Western Countries" we lack in the ability to make some really refined Laws, and yes its somewhat legal, but we have problems making Laws that allows for small Companys with much passion to persist. Then when do you think theyll manage in 3rd World Countries.

If were lucky theyll leglaize like Thailand, where it sounds quiete easy to grow something now.. But will it persist, and will other Countries follow?

So, will there ever be a Law in the most sought after legendary Regions that allows a very easy flow of Genetics, and an easy way to grow Plants.?

If not, then i advise to consider my Solutions i presented. Namely to Register Landraces.
Once done the way i said, it might be actually protected, unable to get stolen and nomore misstrust when sharing them with anyone. Another Job is to preserve them, but not in a field full of Superskunks closeby. It must be shielded Greenhous or a lonely Hill, nobody living around it.

So, we need to get real.. It wont become better just by itselve. The trend is IMHO not very promising ..
the good news, we have nice the Terroir-imitation knowledge, we just need a fundraiser and 3 , 2 , 1 GO

You still enjoy 2022s African? still a mindtrip to Osiris? Only older heads will understand the shift of Qualtiy thowards bad Quality. And wether or not a Guy still finds a single unpolluted plant, there are 100s of polluted plants waiting to take it with em, thowards super skunk. lol

Last edited:

romanoweed

And thats the problem. A only a handfull of People know what im saying. the Time passes, and the shift from good Landrace to bad Landrace is slow.. So, the only people who can know the difference are few old guys that dont like internet. The shift is slow.. And the people cant realise it..

So i repeat, is there still a Mindtrip to Orion Africaine TODAY in Africa in a field?
And the anwser will be NO.

But again, 99,9 PErcent people dont know that the Anwser is No, So i guess ill have to do it on my own, lol. I dont think i will.

The two possible counterarguments will be: but my Congolese form SY was mindtrip, we just dont have to tell you much about the Effect, just it was trippy.. I dont even beleive you your Smokereport of real african, you must been young when you smoked it. that our Explonation.

The secound anwser will be, ah, i forgot.. mostly the one above.

So, cannbis WAS IN THE 70s the strongest Hallucinogen ever. / or atleast the same States it could induce as other Substances..

goingrey

@romanoweed So how does the registration with a seedbank work protection-wise?

Wouldn't people and organizations, including seed companies, be able to request (buy) seeds from the seedbank and do breeding with them?

Personally I think that would be great but seems many here consider it stealing or at least somehow bad...

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
This is a complex topic with many points of view.

We have as a reference the golden age of cannabis in the 60s-70s and from the 80s it is said that many varieties began to be lost due to hybridization issues.
Look at jamaica, colombia, mexico... and it is true that many varieties have already become almost impossible to get...

How many varieties have been lost for 1000 years or more that we can't even imagine?

"Pure" cannabis in my opinion does not exist.
And I say that it does not exist because it has been traveling from one side of the world to the other for centuries and hybridizing. In 1960 if it was pure? is there pure cannabis today? What is pure cannabis? And what if we talk about 2000 years ago? there if it was "pure"?

Maybe someone born in 1900 says that cannabis was better in his time than now...

Kaiki said that we should not stay with the names and if with the plants. Keep the variety that you like.

We are in 2022, surely 50 or 100 years from now they will say that we had better varieties and it may be, because also seeing the cannabis panorama everything is almost the same.
Before it was holland, now they are varieties from the usa: cookie gorilla...

Let's keep what we like that still exists today in the present.
It is useless to think about the past.:tiphat:

romanoweed

so then you dont deny the possibility that i tell you the truth and Landraces were better. GREAT. I thank you for that, cause you didnt tell me im wrong, and that its just a Fairtytale what i was telling, (alltho you seem not hundert percent determined, wich you cant be, you can only believe or disbelieve).
Thank you.
So, now we made a small degree of Qualitycontroll of todays Landraces. lesser Quality in my oppinion.. This lessend quality can help us to see Trends and Dynamics in Landraces.... And also allows us to decide if its worth even fighting for it in the first place..

If you ask me, god can cull 99,9 percent Landrace today, probably he finds one of a1000 Plants i would keep.. but the old 70s collected Strains are certainly better for me.

The best Landraces are most probably in Western Hands. so, i find it just funny to save those modern ones..
ok , thanks for your kindnes.

Last edited:

romanoweed

vietto.jpg

romanoweed

please please, in adavance, adressed at whoever might try. DONT TALK IT DOWN.
Cause i wont continue loading True weed reports.. either you let it as is, or i stop.

romanoweed

the two reports before are 70s Vietnamese,

now 70s black African Weed:

quote: People have made reports of Levitation quote

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts