What's new

Billionaires want to disappear and start anew...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Who knows? The guy who owned the sub company didn't want competent 50 yr old white guys on his staff, he wanted youthful diversity. He was in the sub too.

Scenario, front window blows because it was not rated for the pressure. Water rushes in, filling and blowing up the sub as the air is squished. Better than a slow death from no air.

RIP

Gry

Veteran
The way I heard it described, the window was certified for about half the depth the dive called for, and therefore the vessel could not be certified in the US. The owner took it to Hati to be certified.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
One guy backed out of the trip "because there were too many red flags".

Five rich guys on a vacation trip and they deploy ships, aircraft, drones, you name it.
300 Haitians in an overcrowded banana boat sinking.... Oh well.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The Navy heard the sound as it fucked up on their secret sonar system. They just kept quiet and the xidenistas played the distraction for a few days.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
After the implosion wreckage was found less than a half mile from the Titanic. They knew where it was, there was just no equipment capable reaching that depth in time. There is more to this story as far as the safety of the design, engineering, and construction.

mexweed

Veteran
the Haitian boat capsized, 17 died and 25 were rescued, it was more than likely a disparity in swimming ability/treading endurance

with the submersible Titanic tour, there had been issues with the vessel in the past, and it was $250,000 per person, buy the ticket take the ride, they made a choice and felt it was safe

they didn't seem to have any plan in place if they had to pull it out early, one of the past incidents involved failure of electronic equipment that they improvised a solution for

these weren't Navy engineers, more like a haphazard underwater version of spaceX

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Having been scuba diving at night, there is no appeal to me to go that deep in something like that. Consider that the Russian sub Kursk was only 200 feet down they said. Those guys were trapped at that depth.

I bet the Navy was told to make a sound every now and then to give the distraction traction.

Gry

Veteran
One might anticipate the next meeting of the Explorers Club might be
rather grim.

Gry

Veteran
One might anticipate the next meeting of the Explorers Club might be
rather grim.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I don't understand the mentality of people wanting to view what is essentially a maritime grave. Leave it alone. I guess these are the same people who stop to look at a car wreck. I just don't get it?

The more I read about this sub, the more it reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer designed a car. Accident waiting to happen. Sad that people lost their lives, but nothing could have got me to go on that ill fated voyage.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I predict woke NASA leaving people on the moon, or Musk leaving people on Mars. It won't be as interesting as the tee vee series 'Lost In Space', which even back then featured IMO a very queer actor, Dr Smith.

RobFromTX

I don't understand the mentality of people wanting to view what is essentially a maritime grave. Leave it alone. I guess these are the same people who stop to look at a car wreck. I just don't get it?

The more I read about this sub, the more it reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer designed a car. Accident waiting to happen. Sad that people lost their lives, but nothing could have got me to go on that ill fated voyage.

I agree. People are way too hung up on this shit. Scavengers are just waiting for that hull to bust open so they can start hunting artifacts from the interior. The rest are just rich people who want something to brag about

buzzmobile

Veteran
It won't be as interesting as the tee vee series 'Lost In Space', which even back then featured IMO a very queer actor, Dr Smith.
Jonathan Harris is the actor's name.

Personal life​

Harris was married to his high school sweetheart, Gertrude Bregman, from 1938 until his death. She died of natural causes, at age 93, on August 28, 2007. They had one child, Richard, born 1942.

He died in 2002.
IMO you are a very queer human.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you think that conversation went?

"Son, I love your mom. But she is powerful ugly and I'm rich now. Normally in these situations I'd have her killed. But she's a good woman, a fair cook, and your mother. So I really don't want to hurt her. What do you say we fake our deaths and get you a new mommy?"

"Sure dad! Sounds great! Maybe find one with a teenaged daughter for me?"

"HAHA! Ok son..."

I could see that.