What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill to decriminalize marijuana at federal level up for House vote next month

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bill to decriminalize marijuana at federal level up for House vote next month
MEREDITH DELISO
August 30, 2020, 2:49 PM MDT

A landmark bill that would decriminalize marijuana use at the federal level is up for vote soon.

The U.S. House of Representatives is set to vote on the legislation in September, according to an email sent out on Friday by Majority Whip James Clyburn. Politico first reported on the pending vote.
The "Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act of 2019" -- also called the MORE Act -- would officially remove cannabis from the list of federally controlled substances. It would also expunge federal marijuana convictions and arrests, and approve the allocation of resources for communities affected by the war on drugs, according to the bill's text.

"A floor vote on the bill would be the greatest federal cannabis reform accomplishment in over 80 years," the Global Alliance for Cannabis Commerce said in a statement Friday.

The House Judiciary Committee passed the bill, introduced by Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., and co-sponsored by more than 50 lawmakers, by a vote of 24-10 in November.

"These steps are long overdue. For far too long, we have treated marijuana as a criminal justice problem instead of a matter of personal choice and public health," Nadler, the committee's chairman, said in a statement at the time. "Whatever one's views on the use of marijuana for recreational or medicinal purposes, arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating users at the federal level is unwise and unjust."

The MORE Act would remove marijuana as a Schedule I substance, a category that also features other drugs, such as heroin, LSD, ecstasy and peyote, and leave states to regulate it.

Eleven states and the District of Columbia have already legalized cannabis for adult recreational use, and 33 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical cannabis.

"States have led the way -- and continue to lead the way -- but our federal laws have not kept pace with the obvious need for change," Nadler said. "We need to catch up because of public support and because it is the right thing to do."

Pew Research Center and Gallup polls last year both found that about two-thirds of Americans support legalizing marijuana, with Democrats more supportive of the move than Republicans.
The issue has gotten "greater urgency," one Democratic lawmaker said, amid calls for social justice reform during the recent Black Lives Matter protests.

"As people across the country protest racial injustices, there's even greater urgency for Congress to seize this historic opportunity and finally align our cannabis laws with what the majority of Americans support, while ensuring restorative justice," Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., said in a social media post Friday sharing news on the upcoming vote.

If the bill passes the House, it would move to the Senate, where its lead sponsor is Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., the Democratic nominee for vice president. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has previously noted he does not plan to endorse the legislation.
Former Vice President Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee for president, has spoken out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana and expunging criminal records for possession charges. Like Nadler, he thinks each state should decide whether or not to legalize it.
President Donald Trump has openly opposed changing federal marijuana laws. Earlier this month, he also suggested that if Republicans wanted to win elections, they should not put marijuana legalization on the ballot.

"The next time you run please don't put marijuana on the ballot at the same time you're running," Trump said at an Aug. 17 rally in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. "You brought out like a million people that nobody ever knew were coming out."

States with initiatives to legalize marijuana on the November ballot include Arizona and New Jersey.

Amynamous

"The next time you run please don't put marijuana on the ballot at the same time you're running," Trump said at an Aug. 17 rally in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. "You brought out like a million people that nobody ever knew were coming out."

That is a very clear indication that trump does NOT want marijuana users voting in elections. Pretty sad.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
You know how much trump loves big crowds, maybe he'll wake up (right before the election) and take the hint, $1,200 stimulus check plus decrim sounds like a win, win to me.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's ALL fill out our MAIL IN BALLOTS when stoned, mailing back pronto!!! That'll fix it! Haaaaa! :bongsmi::smokey::smoke::joint:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
With this many states passing legalization the entire government isn't able to hide, there is evidence of not following public opinion. Not going though with voted laws, cannabis legalization more than a new bridge or hyper loop, is government actively intervening for its own benefit in other words corruption. People argue the two sides thing but this isn't two sides. It is like looking at the answer key instead of reading. I am talking about Florida it already passed a law why aren't there more stores?

There is more evidence too. That cannabis is an effective medicine. Whether dietary supplement or meditation aid or digestive support or yoga herbs, the plant is more valuable than many other things paper currency for example. This post goes where I'm not sure but something is missing, the public news media and government have not acknowledged its value. That is a fault a fallacy, to have a market or appraisal or value and growth whatever, without discussing even mentioning the material in question. There is a price tag on the package but no message that says helps with thought focus exercise planning essential vitamin for healthy living etc.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This Bill's passage will hopefully pave the way to Rescheduling Cannabis removing it as a Schedule I drug. Research, too, will be more prevalent.

rolandomota

Veteran
I say keep it the way it is the black market needs some form of income dispensers are not angels don't be naive and don't be dumb just grow stop being afraid of The Man ...man the average person is getting cut out in the legalize marijuana movement
I think it's too expensive and it runs out too fast you will not catch me buying anything but brickis mexicanis people are crazy with price it ain't worth that much
140 200 an ounce that is less than a week smoke for me fuck that
Grow them fat plants in your home you do many things at home no one knows about growing mota should be one of them

Sounds right 1600 to 3200 a pound right depends how much flavor and hype o and don't forget the leech middle men yea screw your asses

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This Bill's passage will hopefully pave the way to Rescheduling Cannabis removing it as a Schedule I drug. Research, too, will be more prevalent.

Better look under the hood on this one. The last time nadler wanted to federally legalize pot it came with a tax which gave them a slush fund for whatever. This is the dems, and they never give away anything.

Trump took CBD off the fed sch I, and he can also do it for pot. No fed involvement. Write and convince him to let pot be an article 10 issue, and let the states decide their own laws. Let the states compete, like they should.

Us people choose which state we want to live in.

CannaZen

I say keep it the way it is the black market needs some form of income dispensers are not angels don't be naive and don't be dumb just grow stop being afraid of The Man ...man the average person is getting cut out in the legalize marijuana movement
I think it's too expensive and it runs out too fast you will not catch me buying anything but brickis mexicanis people are crazy with price it ain't worth that much
140 200 an ounce that is less than a week smoke for me fuck that
Grow them fat plants in your home you do many things at home no one knows about growing mota should be one of them

Sounds right 1600 to 3200 a pound right depends how much flavor and hype o and don't forget the leech middle men yea screw your asses
the same black market selling unregistered guns, crack etc. they argue a gateway when its all the dealer and friends. if cannabis were not scheduled as proposed by the bill anybody could sell it. isn't that the point or do you care about inflated prices, you argue the money grab of everybody. why not. before california legalization the biggest proponent of criminalization were dealer crimes and gun carriers, all along it was the black market doing that, reefer madness disproved. when prices dropped, gun carriers rare. the black market is not too big to fail.

Last edited:

rolandomota

Veteran
My point is I don't need the government giving me permission to live how I want I would be doing the same if their was no medical or legal weed because where I live their is no med or rec laws and I dont care I don't need them I don't buy anything but weed from the black market what they do and where it comes from I don't give a damn about that because it's life no government will ever stop drug dealers and people will never stop being people it's not all good in this world stop pretending your a saint
People need guns to defend themselves especially if you live in a city where 100 to 200 murders a month occur like in ciudad juarez Mexico lol you think they care about your morals? Nope
You think the legalize marijuana movement cares about you...your wrong they care about money just like drug dealers life's a bitch and then you die don't forget it's also too short to be undecisive

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Fools thought these dims would legalize pot. mLOL. No way does the commie fed .guv give up that kind of power.

Amynamous

I’d be willing to bet that the dems re-introduce legislation next year and the republicans will obstruct it. That’ll be a hard sell for them in legal red and purple states heading into the midterms.
It really comes down to a states rights issue, which has been a traditional republican talking point for years, much like free trade used to be instead of trade wars, cutting taxes used to be one as opposed to introducing tariffs and fiscal responsibility as opposed to blowing up the deficit. The only things they seem to have left is sore losers are great people who deserve to be president.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It comes down to power over people. They won't legalize dope cause they get power, money, prison time, and besides a whole fed bureaucracy that has to be fed.

These dims are not about freedom, they want control. Animal Farm was their roadmap, and elite pigs are more equal than the subjects..

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I’d be willing to bet that the dems re-introduce legislation next year...............

.............. just in time to help influence the 2022 mid-term election! ;)
....................... and now that I think about it, just like they played the MJ card to influence the 2020 election! :wtf:

.............................. still not gonna vote for 'em no matter what enticements they come up with! :biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anything that passes through the Senate has to have every single Democrat, plus the fake Ds Manchin from WV and Sinema from Arizona, and at least ten GOP members. there are that many & more GOP that would be willing to vote for a proposal RE cannabis, but will not do so if any democrat might get any credit as a result. but if the shoe was on the other foot, McConnell et al would be screaming from the rooftops about how the Ds were "playing politics" instead of voting their consciences and helping to solve a major problem facing the voters... fucking hypocrites in BOTH parties

Latest posts

Latest posts