What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Thermos Extraction - Points of Concern

Kushed_

Ummmmm, it would sure be an interesting experiment and the filters might get coated. Hope you will report back!

It will be awhile before I will have time to do this, but it is on my list! I am going to experiment with Everclear first.

InjectTruth

Hey Jump! So far, I have decanted that first pull i described, added some more kif to the thermos, and soaked overnight in another 300ml of tane. this was decanted into the same pyrex. Following that, the same pyrex had two separate approx. 50g tubes blown into it, each with 300 mL of tane. The last tube was just done today. I will be purging with hot water tomorrow and either scraping or dissolving with ethanol to winterize and create an absolute.

I will keep you posted!

InjectTruth

P.S. I have two cans of tane left. Considering adding the contents of the two tubes to the thermos along with the remaining kif, and soaking that in the last two cans overnight. Take advantage of these cold temps!

InjectTruth

Ill be scooping up my camera soon to get some pics up, and also a better scale so i have a more accurate idea of yield, but here are the preliminary results.

After soaking the first load of 50g kif, no real agitation, 20-30F, 2-3 hr soak, adding an additional 20-30g of kif, another can of tane and an overnight soak, I used two more cans to blow through two 50g tubes of leaf. All 4 cans were collected in the same dish and allowed to sit outside overnight. Ive read that many use 1 can of tane per 1 oz of material, and in this case, my material should still have some goodness left.

the pyrex was brought in and put on an electric griddle at 150 for about 45 minutes. Very little activity was observed, so the oil was scraped into a small glass container with a known tare of 62.5g. My postal scale registers between 68-70g. A quite disappointing yield.

I know I didnt use enough tane or agitate enough, but i still expected a bit more from almost 100g of kif and 100g of leaf/trim.

My thoughts are:

- Cold temperatures lowered the aggressiveness of the butane way more than i had supposed.

- the tubes weren't packed enough, causing channeling

- i dispersed the gas into the tubes too rapidly, simply depressing the can until it was empty

- starting material in the tubes is too devoid of trichomes to provide a good yield.

I will be dumping the contents of the two tubes into the thermos along with the left over kif, and doing a soak of the whole shebang with another four cans (once i get some more, only 2 cans left right now).

Despite the lower yield, Im excited to refine my technique in anticipation of yields like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1QWLbGvCpg

My next piece of equipment to procure is a Vacuum pump/chamber. Im going to look around the many threads but if anyone has a recommendation on a quality/affordable pump set up, let me know!

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I should have pics within a week

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Great thread.. Sounds like your yield wasnt that bad at all. How clean was your drysift? Sift reduced to 50% and a 20% yield on the tubes..sounds good to me, but im far from even being a noob in regards to BHO..im just sucking up all the info theres out there, so ill be ready to start making some quality product. Id love to see them pics when you get a chance to shoot some brother..

Stay Safe

jump /injack

Veteran
InjectTruth, congratulations.

Been following your work, waiting for those pictures. I have the same thermos as you and have a question, what did you use for screening when you poured the tane out of the thermos bottle. I have metal strainers but don't want to use those and maybe get a spark.

gunnaknow

Sorry Inject, I should have responded earlier.

I know I didnt use enough tane or agitate enough, but i still expected a bit more from almost 100g of kif and 100g of leaf/trim.

My thoughts are:

- Cold temperatures lowered the aggressiveness of the butane way more than i had supposed.

That won't have been the issue.
- the tubes weren't packed enough, causing channeling

That's a possibility.
- i dispersed the gas into the tubes too rapidly, simply depressing the can until it was empty

That's unlikely to have been the issue either.
- starting material in the tubes is too devoid of trichomes to provide a good yield.

That is likely to be one of the main contributors. One other probably being too little butane.

I will be dumping the contents of the two tubes into the thermos along with the left over kif, and doing a soak of the whole shebang with another four cans (once i get some more, only 2 cans left right now).

The material from the tubes will likely still contain some goodness worth extracting. Rest assured that whatever yield you do get, the lengthy soak in a thermos will have maximized it. All the best.

gunna

kurtgleason

Cheers buddy. Its always rare to read such stuff about bho extraction system I'll share it at my blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts