What's new

Best/ or craziest Back Packing Trip Thread.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What was the most fun, crazy, or hardest back packing trip you have ever done. I love hearing these stories please share! I'll start.

Once wile hiking the Pecos Wilderness area in New Meico, just north of Sante Fe, I got lost. I was 16 years old and I was day hiking in an area, with a friend, where there had recently been a forest fire. Everything looked pretty much the same, and we had been toking the whole hike. While we were above tree line a storm started moving in fast, and in the scramble down the mountain we got mixed up. It had already started lightning out, and we just had to lay low and wait out the storm. All we had in our backpacks were water bottles, ponchos, and emergency blanket in the first aid kit, one pack of matches, and some beef jerky. We thought the storm would be short but it lasted almost all night. So we had to wait it out hudled under some ponchoes, and and emergency blanket. No fire, to wet and windy. So it was pretty cold, but two people hudled together in the blanket was petty effective. Plus we were alreadt wearing beenies. In the morning, we hiked back up to the tree line and reoriented, and got back on track. That was pretty shitty.

My day hike pack is now much more extensive.

I bet, what do you throw into your daypack now? I carry lot's of crap, but other than water nothing that may make me comfortable. But I'm still stocking up on things like a GPS, and sometimes throw in more clothes.

Craziest backpacking, well; probably seeing a drunk friend fall all over the place at a park and never get hurt (although highly dramatic humor, real comical falls). Nothing very dramatic, but I remember smoking some quality hash at this park.......it was the get down get down park. Basically it wouldn't be funny if my bud got hurt, but he would fall down large hills (lot's of cliffs out at this place, but nothing above say 50ft). I remember once, he fell crossing a river, and had himself completely suspended.......like a spider; it was his arms and legs all stretched out on the tree and some limbs that we would cross the river or wide creek.

Our area was lame, so pretty much putting a few brews back and toking made things more interesting.......otherwise, you would have to jog or something to get inspired.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually have a thread with my day pack, check it out.

I dont drink when I'm in the wilderness, because breaking a leg could be death.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
MY WIFE AND I WERE STALKED BY A BIG HORN SHEEP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR UP ON GUINELLA PASS..THIS CRAZY SHEEP FOLLOWED US EVERYWHERE JUST CARRYING ON SQUALLING AT US..CHARGING AN STOPPING A FEW FEET FROM US..HE WAS WHACK, BUT CUTE..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh ya, this reminds me of royal gorge in colrodo. The deer are people friendly there, as long as you are feeding them. After you stop they will head butt your car!

S

smotpoker

MY WIFE AND I WERE STALKED BY A BIG HORN SHEEP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR UP ON GUINELLA PASS..THIS CRAZY SHEEP FOLLOWED US EVERYWHERE JUST CARRYING ON SQUALLING AT US..CHARGING AN STOPPING A FEW FEET FROM US..HE WAS WHACK, BUT CUTE..

we've had mountain sheep follow us around and wait to lick our urine up. They crave the salt I think?

It's weird though.

for the thread:
Once some friend and I decided to drive to this trailhead and hike up to a lake where we could set a base camp and do day hikes from for a few days...

Well, 7 miles from the trailhead the FS road had 2ft of snow! So we parked up on a hill so that I could use gravity to get some momentum going, and took off on foot. By the time we hit the trailhead there was 7ft of snow on the ground! Maybe we should have done our homework better. Slept in a tree well and did a few day hikes from the trailhead. Was wicked fun. Ran into some backcountry skiers who were much better prepared.

P1010306.jpg