What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best commercial strains

RobertFripp

Yield is a product of genetics, light, alot of soil, air flow, temperature, veg time. Ive gotten 22oz from 1 plant under a 1000w Hortilux HPS in 20 gallons Promix BX, 60 day veg, and bent the plant over. It took over the whole 4 x 4 area. I started bending the plant from a very young age, but didnt mess with the growing tip. You can slow growth by constantly bending on the tip.

But I can tell you a fast growing, high yielding, high potency strain.

Katsu Sour Diesel IBL. Theyve been known to get 8lbs-10lbs per plant outside, in 300 gallons of soil. The female Katsu cut is the original Sour Diesel, and the male used is a preciously unreleased speciman, thats been around since I believe 2008, and is supposed to be the best Sour Diesel Male ever found. The Male is from Stone Farms, and is a collaboration, with Katsu.

This strain also likes as much light as it can get, but you must have really good fresh air exchange, or CO2 to reap maximum benefits.
It also reeks to high heavens, so if youre in an unfriendly state, you can smell this stuff 100 feet away if the wind is blowing the right direction.

I started it out in a 32oz Uline plastic Deli container, then transplanted it into a 5 gallon container, and then when I flipped it to 12/12 put it in another 15 gallons of soil. The container was a 20 gallon Tupperware. It was totally full of roots when it was done. I could lift the whole dry rootball, and medium out of the container by the stalk.

I also started the seedling out under a 1000w Hortilux HPS. They got blasted with light from day one. The light was at 24 inches above the seedling, and a fan as blowing 24/7 with a slight breeze, just enough to make the plant move a little.

But I can tell you a fast growing, high yielding, high potency strain.

Katsu Sour Diesel IBL. Theyve been known to get 8lbs-10lbs per plnt outside, in 300 gallons of soil.

This strain also likes as much light as it can get, but you must have really good fresh air exchange, or CO2 to reap maximum benefits.
It also reeks to high heavens, so if youre in an unfriendly state, you can smell this stuff 100 feet away it the wind is blowing the right direction.
Katsu is located in the USA. $125 a pack.

Last edited:

RobertFripp

I personally wouldnt buy anything from Barneys Farm, or Sensi Seeds. I used to love both of them, and my buddy still has a 2010. cut of Barney G13 x Haze which is killer. If it was the same stuff now, as it was then, it would be in the top of my list. But I grew both the feminized version, and the new version, and they arent the same. The nwere version is more of an Indica structure, as the original is a sativa structure big time, with huge long colas, and grows really really fast, and stretches like a Mofo after you flip it to flowering. Thats another thing you want. A strain that grows 4-6 times its size after you flip it. This decreases veg time.

But around 2011--12 Barneys started selling feminized only seeds, and they were nothing like the originals. I grew out 30 of the Feminized version, nd they were all junk, and a waste of time Then several years back, they started selling regulars again, and from what Ive grown of them, they are no way as good as the original stuff they had.

Sensi used to be my favorite, Nevils Seed bank before them in the 80s, and Super sativa seed Club in the 80s.

But in the mid-late 2000s Sensi lost much of their original stock, and they arent as good as they used to be either. Also not saying Barneys, or Sensi might have some ok stuff, but from my experience, they arent nearly as good as they used to be, and theres much better seeds to be had.
If Sensi was as good as it used to be, t would be first on my list. same for Seriou Seeds. If they still had the original, or even the mid 000s AK47, Id recommend that stuff, as you wont find any weed much better than that stuff. My buddy also has a cut of AK47 from pre2000 stock. Though it wont produce like the G13 x Haze, or the Sour Diesel. I can get about 14oz per plant inside from this cut. Vs 22-28oz+ from either the G13 x Haze, or the Sour Diesel. But the potency of the AK47 is up there with any of it.

On average, Big Bud is not a really potent strain. And its not the fastest grower.

If I was going to get something with Big Bud in it, Id get it from AKBeanBrains. Hes got some good hybrids using Original Big Bud from the 90s Sensi stock. I would post Dave email address, so you can deal directly with him but I think it may be against the rules to post the email address. Dave has all kinds of stuff from the 80s Nevils seed Bank, Super Sativa Seed Club, and 90s Sensi Seed genetics.

But like I said. If you want something that grows fast, is very potent, and yields like a MoFo, Id go with the Katsu Sour Diesel IBL. Plus if youre in the USA you dont have to muck with customs.

The Pure C99 will only produce about 8oz per plant using the same method as I use for the G13 Haze, or thr Sour diesel IBL. Its lucky to get 1/3 the yield of the G13 x Hx, or the Sour diesel. But the C99 is really good weed. cant take anything away from the potency.

Last edited:

RobertFripp

Thanks for the info bud growing from Ireland so some strains I just can’t get
Dave at AKBeanBrains sends internationally. I dont know about katsu. Ill email him, and ask.

Mr Nice is also a good seed bank, and Id recommend the Super Silver Haze. Its in Europe.

Last edited:

RobertFripp

Are you growing indoors? That's a pretty ambitious per plant yield.
Yes thats indoors. Seeds started under a 1000w Hortilux HPS at 24 inches, in 32oz plastic cups. 82f temperatures. Transplanted into 5 gallon buckets for 60 days veg, and then transplanted again into a 20 Gallon container. Its hard transplanting a plant vegged in a 5 gallon container into a 20, but it can be done. After transplant, Ill keep vegging another week so the plant starts to get established in its new container. Best to use mesh pots, and just cut them away from the plant vs using a plastic pot, and having to turn the plant upside down to get it out. Mesh/Smart pots are alot easier. Or if you already know the sex, you can transplant it from a smaller container, directly into the 20 gallon container. You just have to watch, and not over water a small plant, in a big container. But you want to use enough water to keep the roots expanding.
Main thing is you have to have alot of light, alot of fresh air exchange, or CO2, and alot of soil. And a pretty long veg cycle, and the right genetics to get those numbers. Most strains arent capable of getting those numbers. Like I said. C99 is lucky tto get 7-8 oz using the same method. So its best to plant multiples of them vs getting the most out of each plant. Strength in numbers.

Im in the USA, in an unfriendly state, so keeping numbers down is important. Thus why I/We grow bigger plants with longer veg.

We also have the light on 24/7. Every 3 days we may turn the light off 4 hours to give the light a rest.
I use Promix BX. I dont know waht the equivelent would be over there.
Promix BX is a combination of Sphagnum Peat, Calcitic Lime, Dolomitic Lime, Perlite, Vermiculite, and

MYCORRHIZAE. They use 2/3 Calcitic Lime to 1/3 Domomitic Lime.​

Ingredients:

• Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (75-85% by volume)
  • Perlite - horticultural grade
  • Vermiculite-horticultural grade
  • Dolomitic and Calcitic limestone (pH adjuster)
  • Wetting Agent
  • Mycorrhizae, endomycorrhizal innoculum (Glomus intraradices)

Last edited:

goingrey

Ya it’s ambitious but not impossible I got close to 6 ounces off one auto dosi dos so I reckon 5 plants of a good yielding plant might get 2 kilo
Some of the modern autos can actually be incredibly good yielders and might actually be a good option for your goal.

Check out this Urban Legends Maestro auto grown by @bibi40 for example:

Platinum fire

The thing is I know I don’t have the room to get 2 off 5 so I’m just looking for the best quality top yielding strains to get the best out of my situation

Platinum fire

Some of the modern autos can actually be incredibly good yielders and might actually be a good option for your goal.

Check out this Urban Legends Maestro auto grown by @bibi40 for example:
Ya but there too unpredictable I need a strain with good uniformity and I think that’s hard to get from autos

goingrey

Ya but there too unpredictable I need a strain with good uniformity and I think that’s hard to get from autos
Not really any more or less difficult to achieve with photos or autos. But photoperiod strains have the benefit that you can clone them and achieve uniformity in that way.

Let us know when you find the uniform from seed commercial strain a lot of people will want it..

Nannymouse

Most of the auto lines have very little of the original ruderalis genetics remaining. Yes, the 'timing' thing, but when a plant is only 3% or less ruderalis, there are very few 'other' ruderalis characteristics that would remain. Gone are the 50% ruderalis. Some of the problems with modern 'auto' uniformity is that many of the autos of today are very poly hybrid. I sure don't know of many (if any) auto lines that are 96% to one uniform inbred line.

One of the most uniform inbred lines that i've seen is a sour bubble bx3. I think that every great grandparent is sourbubble bx3. If i had enough lifetime and legality to do it, that would be the line that i would use to take to an auto and then keep mating back to the sourbubble line until it is auto and 90 some percent sourbubble. I would bet that if i had enough time to do that, it would be a very uniform auto.

Some folks speak of autos, as if all autos are still 100% ruderalis.