What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

This theory completely neglects canopy penetration? id rather have a slighty concave canopy to still make use of the penetration of a 600w, the way that stadium grow is drawn up you would be wasting lumens.

Correct me if im wrong.

Johnny Holland

Ipsissimus

GREAT illustrations! You're my new hero. Rep points for you. Let's see that garden comparison chart again ...

Illlustrates the concept well, but it doesn't take into account light penetration. This alters the formula from surface area, to volume. With larger plants and 1000w lights, canopy penetration is quite significant.

Naturally, the canopy method is well suited to SCROG/SOGs. And it fosters some nice grow room designs!

Bulldog501

Hundred Gram Oz said:
LiDiagramB-1.jpg

lidiagrama.jpg

As you can see their are a few benefits to vertical lighting, Number 1 The majority of the heat produced by the HID is pushed upwards to your exhaust vs the horizontal hood that traps heat and directs it at your plant's. The main advantage to this is that you can put your plants closer to your bulb's without worrying about burning them, 1 grower I know can get his plants up to 6" from his 1000w bulb but keeps them back a few more inches due to the buds getting bleached from to much light!!

Number 2 The next benefit vertical growing is that you will be using 360o of your light, you want to absolutely cover the outer diameter of the bulb with plants so barely any light can escape, this will give you the best efficiency you will be blasting your plants with as many lumen's as possible. Compare this method to a horizontal garden, if you look at the diagrams you can see that a massive 75% of the light is reflected thus killing a lot of lumen's in the process lumen's that I'd prefer getting to my plants, and after all less lumen's = less yield and we don't want that now do we!

Benefit Number 3, This next benefit is for space, the amount of space you save by growing is phenomenal, a 600w lamp would be fit for a 4X4 area at very most, and even this is only a low 37.5 watts per square foot. compare this to a vertical set up, you could have a vert system 3 foot in diameter but 8 foot high and fill it with 300 plants have 10 of these in one room......ya get the idea? If not here is a pic to explain the major benefit of space improvement.

2684498593-way-comparisoon-med-med.gif

As you can see you would be improving your space by 135%! That's a huge increase.

Here is another diagram that you shou
1157989-Foot-Candle2520Chart2520HPS.jpg

Right well according to this chart the maximum distance you can get your plants to your 1000w hid is 10 inches, this will blast 64,000 at them compared to 44,000 at 12 inches, that's a BIG drop for only 2 inches. How far do you keep your plants from your bulb?

Another benefit of this system is that you can slow down the stretch on plants, this is very handy for growers wanting to grow sativa's that have a 3 x + stretch. In some of the v-scrog grows I've come across it would seem that when you stop raising the light the plant responds by cutting it's stretch and focus more of it's energy in bud production which is real handy I think you would agree:laughing::laughing:.

very nice nd inspirational info here
tnx for posting this
im getting more and more hooked on the vertical idea myself

H

HybridHydro

WOW!
Have any of you tried or seen the new "Hamster cage" hydro unit? the plants sit in a big wheel and keep rotating around a hps light that sits in the middle of the rotating wheel, as the wheel rotates, the plants are dipped into the water, much like a water mill.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Great thread HGO!

I have been looking at doubled's MPB bucket setups as my future system, they use vert lighting. I want to do a setup using 8 400w CMH bulbs laid out like
picture.php
where the X are plants and the 0 are pairs of stacked bulbs. It is going to take me quite a while to get all the pieces together but for now it is my dream system that I am planning for.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
So are you going to lay the lights out in a sort of diamond pattern, where the 4 lights are at the 0'S and the other 4 are at the juncture between the o's(diagonal)?

Sounds great.

What kind of spacing are you going to go with? I believe they were doing 40" from center to center.

This is a great thread btw...and has completely changed my ideas about room design. It is extremely appreciated.

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Greetings Hundred, this thread is awesome! Thanks for the info man.:)

I just want to throw my support behind this thread and this growing segment of the community. Growing vertically makes so much more logical sense than growing horizontally that I'm surprised it's such a small percentage of growers. Also I'd like to agree with the OP who said he's had to argue with hydro guys over vertical. I had almost a five minute argument with a hydro guy buying a new ballast because I didn't want a reflector. He kept talking to me like I was stupid because I didn't want to shell out out 100+ for fucking sheet metal. Anyway, on my first vertical grow and I'm never going back. :good:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I'm hoping to start doing vertical this next time around. 150w CMH in a secret jardin DR40. I saw a thread where a guy pulled 5oz. so it would be nice. It gonna be tough scrogging it but I always like challenges.

Nice thread HGO convinced me to pull my reflector and give it a try.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Great thread HGO!

I have been looking at doubled's MPB bucket setups as my future system, they use vert lighting. I want to do a setup using 8 400w CMH bulbs laid out like
picture.php
where the X are plants and the 0 are pairs of stacked bulbs. It is going to take me quite a while to get all the pieces together but for now it is my dream system that I am planning for.

Thanks Maj.Cottonmouth, that setup looks perfect bro. No matter which vertical method you choose it all comes down to that gram per watt ratio. I got close to 800 grams of SSSDH from a 600w bulb last run and it was all massive quality buds, it's the same stuff that went on to win the ICMag 420 sativa cup.

The only thing about that setup is that there is always going to be 1 side of the bulb that gets reflected, if you count it up your getting 600 watts of reflected light assuming your using 600w lights. Personally I like to get the 360o output of the bulb hitting my canopy but that's just me, I think you will do very well bro. Let us know when you make the move.

HGO

Vertical growing (combined with a vertical scrog) makes perfect sense to me for plants whose growth patterns are average or tall/stretchy. But what about short, stout, bushy plants?

I am quite handy at horizontal scrog (utilizing lst and supercropping), but can't seem to wrap my head around vertical scrog for the short, bushy strains. Almost seems as if they wouldn't get tall enough to cover the same square footage as a horizontal scrog. For example, I just don't see this happening on a vertical scrog: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=12653

Would love to hear the community's input concerning this. It is the only thing holding me back from switching to this growing style since I will be flowering both a tall Blueberry pheno and the short LA Woman.

supermanlives

Veteran
great thread. i once tried a single 400 watt vertical. my yields were lower alot . my parabolic was giving me 14 oz and i got 9 on my first verticle.i am looking to do 2 600s in cooltubes soon. i think i gave up verticle too quick. DAVESNOTHERE

Scrogerman

Veteran
I Like this thread,
The idea/concept of vert Growing is a sound one for sure, but i see alot of people overlooking the rear 1800(deg), with single run vert rigs, the rear 180*"+" is shaded out alot of the time untill its turned. Some people condone turning every 3-4 days, others every 2 or so & others everyday, personally i think several very slow rotations daily would be more efficient, a sort of turntable, lightmover style but circulating of course. Does anyone do this? When i eventually get around to doing a vert(soon i hope) i will be constructing with turntable style trays to sit my pots of Coco on. I thought id mention this aspect of the rear 180* of vert grown plants as theres alot of shaded areas at the back for long periods of time & it seems pretty simple to overcome. Anyone use similar tec? ideas? etc?
Good Luck All, Gotta love the Verticle! Could be the future! ;)

Small plants in a stadium vert it doesnt apply to, but big plants that need to be turned it does!

Avid Fan

:thank you:
i'm hooked!
i was going to do a normal scrog but im defo doing a vertical cylinder scrog now i've read this!
do you think i'll get away with 2 sativa plants with a 14 inch diameter screen and 400w hps?

ibjamming

Veteran
:thank you:
i'm hooked!
i was going to do a normal scrog but im defo doing a vertical cylinder scrog now i've read this!
do you think i'll get away with 2 sativa plants with a 14 inch diameter screen and 400w hps?

7" is the closest you want them to get...you need to move your screen farther out.

If you start with a screen that close...they have nowhere to go.

Avid Fan

thanks ibjamming,last thing i want is fried plants!
i'm going read as much as i can before i start,its only my second grow but im a deep end first kind of gal!lol!