What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
you can climb up your plants theyre so big and tall!

picture.php

Stripper pole in the growroom.... I like :D:D

Lorien

Thank you HGO! Thank you GN!

I'm totally on the vertical bandwagon... have been for a few years. But, I disagree with some of the hype that is associated with the vert grow...

1. Plants grow differently - you have to grow them differently. I almost don't feel it is an apples to apples comparison when talking yields. After all, the direct light is less vs horizontal (per plant) as half the plant is not directly lit & there is no reflected light benefit. The impact of this effects your set-up, plant type, training/trimming techniques, growth characteristics & total yield, if not more. It's more like apples to oranges.

2. The "best" way to maximize yields & get absolutely great qual nugs (top to bottom), is to grow many smaller sized plants (sog premise of 6" at flower & near 18-20" at finish). This guaranties top cola quality nugs all the way around. I don't have mid-grade nugs from this set-up. However, it is very difficult to operate within the emerging conventions & laws. I'm struggling with this as we speak.

3. To totally maximize the 360d effect of maximizing total grow footprint (the real advantage, imho) requires quite a bit of effort... both on the front side & during the grow. I just don't feel this is for the light of heart as it requires an investment of build know-how & dollars. This is a labor intensive grow.

With all of this said, even if you are growing a longer strain with less than ideal yields, it is my experiences to regularly achieve .9-1.3g/watt. This isn't focusing (at all) on bumping it out. I could see getting the 2.0g mark with effort & genetics. Heath's achievements shouldn't be expected as the "norm".

Just my take as want to temper the enthusiasm. Best to all!

;-) fig this would start off some controversy as well...

Nice info bro thx

so let me say what seems to be the big deal here. Not having to lollypop plants, getting big buds all the way down the plant. right? or what? i read this the first time today because my buddy has plants like that and is doing vert. budsites looking like tops colas, big hairy balls of flower. he is just starting flower, like about a month or so in. was wondering if he is going to end up with colas everywhere, which is what it seems like you guys are getting, so answer would be "yes". he has a 1KW hanging and the plants are all like four feet tall, in circles about 4 ft from the plant maybe three. i was just amazed that he did not appear to have any use for lollypopping, something that really helped push me over the top and get massive colas on my plants finally. i am growing horizontally. i pretty much have to veg horizontally tho, so if i have to veg vertically for this to work in flower, i wont be able to.

so you are in agreement that you have to veg in vert in order to flower in vert? and that vert. lites do away with having to strip the plant? thx

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
so let me say what seems to be the big deal here. Not having to lollypop plants, getting big buds all the way down the plant. right? or what? i read this the first time today because my buddy has plants like that and is doing vert. budsites looking like tops colas, big hairy balls of flower. he is just starting flower, like about a month or so in. was wondering if he is going to end up with colas everywhere, which is what it seems like you guys are getting, so answer would be "yes". he has a 1KW hanging and the plants are all like four feet tall, in circles about 4 ft from the plant maybe three. i was just amazed that he did not appear to have any use for lollypopping, something that really helped push me over the top and get massive colas on my plants finally. i am growing horizontally. i pretty much have to veg horizontally tho, so if i have to veg vertically for this to work in flower, i wont be able to.

so you are in agreement that you have to veg in vert in order to flower in vert? and that vert. lites do away with having to strip the plant? thx

Yes, getting buds all the way down the plant and even below the grow media is one of many advantages I am noticing with vert grows.

mrktwiz

hMMM I just lollipopped my girls going into flower room but my vert bulbs dont go down quit as far as yours aero BUT I need to re-think the whole lolly-poppin thing now.

ok for part one, as for part two,

Are all y'all vegging in vert too?

also need to ask if anybody's defoliating much. -it doesn't look like it. === i have personally given up on the whole DF concept. (yeah i know all about the DF threads. seemed to work at first but didn't really seem to be necessary to me with this strain, but again, the thread says df'g is strain dependent and i agree) thx. mds

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lollipopping is necessary imo but instead of stripping your plants from the bottom up, you have to trim your plants from front to back. Same concept.... different direction. Maybe we need a name for it.
Keep the productive stuff, get rid of the trash.

Here's an example.

Front
picture.php

SIDE
picture.php

The back of all my plants are totally stripped. Same concept as lollipoppin, just front to back instead of top to bottom.

:tiphat:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are all y'all vegging in vert too?

Taken from another thread.

Another topic alot of new vert growers are concerned with is, whether or not they should veg their plants vertically. I see this question asked all the time. I don't believe there is a correct answer, but there are a few factors you should consider when making your decision.

Veg'n your plants vertically will cause them to grow out towards the bulbs and promote strong lateral branching (because the sides are getting blasted with light).Most vert vets like to keep the bulbs slightly higher than usual to encourage the plants to still stretch upwards. The plant will also begin to develop a "front" and back" naturally. The front being the side facing the bulb(s). I like to start training the branches in the back to the front and/or clear out the rear foliage. (strain dependent) These factors may be positives or negatives depending on your overall situation, but you'll be able to take advantage of them or make adjustments if your prepared.

When veg'n horizontally plants tend to reach up for the light, and the lower branches are skinnier and slower to develop than new growth on top. Not a bad thing, it's been working for years. Topping and LST'n will get you plenty of branches if that is what you desire. Keep in mind your horizontally veg'd plant will take a day or two to adjust when it is switched to veg light. The fan leaves and branches will start to turn toward the light. The plant will start to show a front and back and you'll probably start some form of training at that time. Again, not a big deal, just another factor to consider.

In my opinion the most important factor is, what is easiest for you? If you have a dedicated flat veg room, it's probably easiest to go that route. If you only have one room, you can go straight from the cloner, into your vert setup. Everybody's situation is different and there are many methods that work well.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Good post Marlo, I never turn my plants around. It takes energy for the plant to position itself towards the light, if you keep rotating it around it has to re-position itself which is wasted energy.

SO basically a plant will need to be trained if not turned, although my buddies look pretty damned good and he turns them.

so a plant 'trained' in veg will be ready to rock and roll when put into a vert bloom room, whereas the horizonal one is kinda starting from scratch. much like lollypopping in veg as well, gives the branches left on a head start. which is why i dont top them the day i put them into bloom, like the guy at the store told me to do. or lollypop them that day either. i'm sure he gets results, but i think the adjustment time in veg is well worth it. (but dont have proof)

so , not a requirement, but it would be mo'betta if we could. i'll give it a shot i think. i wont be able to do the net thing tho. too many plants in too little room. not even a room but converted extra space i had to cut a hole into to access. should just say screw it and grow in a bedroom, but i dont have the market, dont know the right people. my 'lectric bill is already killing me. i like you little net set up tho, marlo

thanks for the tips.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Nice to see folks giving vertical a shot!

Here is a little homemade tent with a vertical set up. Strain is NL#5 x SK#1, also known as Shiva Skunk.

They are clones from my last run.

Most likely I will take over the rest of tent with another 600W HPS.

BTW... Great job Marlo !!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php