What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

GeorgeWBush

Veteran
listen to whodare. You will get better yields if you take them further away and add to your canopy diameter. I had about 18 inches distance with a 600 so I would assume about 2 ft or even a little more would be ideal for 1000

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
I am so grateful for this thread. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Check out my gallery and you'll see I was doing this back in 2005. I actually started doing it back in '96 as an experiment in simplicity with all my different Jamaican strains from the island. A group in Miami were connected with the Jam Government and used every method to transport it over. The last stuff was flown over on Jam Air in bread bags. I used to call it the "Brain Eraser". I had hash bud, exotic sweet toothy strains, red oily bud, and lime bud. The Jam was happening back then.

The vertical method I used was I'd circle all the pots around the lamp and I was amazed at the long foxtails of red bud that were a great high of Jam. It always got you stoned. Using my 1k MH on Rez's Sour D V2 made the strongest, lemony stuff anyone had ever smoked. Yes the vertical method is easy and amazing and Bright!

Desi:tiphat:

spadedNfaded

Veteran
I have been using a tent i built to 3'x3'x7' with a bare bulb 400w. Its been great. I can fit anywhere from (12) 1 gallons, (7) 3 gallons or (4-5) 3.5gal big hydros in there at best.

From what i've gathered with my vertical experience is when switching to vertical, add 1x1 to your overall area. a 2x2 is good for a 400w horizontal so make it a 3x3 for vertical. A 600w is good for 3x3 horizontal, so make it a 4x4 for vertical.

The only problem i've had is the height difference involved with each strain but it can be countered by the use of shelves or other object that you can use to boost the containers higher.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Top Thread H,
Im hoping to join in on the Vert scene sometime in the near future, got some great ideas!
keep it Green!

Incognegro

Hey all..

is it better to veg vert or horizontal if flowering vertically?

I'd assume horizontal would be better for vertical stretching,but then would require more work training them for the vertical screens (if using screens) or if it better to just go vert from start to finish? Any comments on this?

whodare

Veteran
veg horizontal... 10 days or so before flip get them into vertical veg....

stretch can be controlled in vertical with light placement...

in my room i have indica dom plants on the bottom shelf and the stretchy plants on top. then i put the bottom of the bulb even with the tops of plants on the upper shelf.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey all..

is it better to veg vert or horizontal if flowering vertically?

I'd assume horizontal would be better for vertical stretching,but then would require more work training them for the vertical screens (if using screens) or if it better to just go vert from start to finish? Any comments on this?

It all depends on your situation ....

Vegging under horizontal will be cheaper on you bills and easier to work with the plants ...

Once you're done vegging em under horizontal, throw them in flower vertically and give em a few days you will notice most of the leafs and bsite will start facing the light ( vertically ) ... this is when you start training or take off the useless back branches, use em for clones or something.

If you have the space, time and money, set them clones in the stadium/collesium or whatever gig you got going on, veg em for a week or 2 under the big hps or blue lamb ( vertical ) and flower them straight from there ...

hope this help

cheers,

Incognegro

Thanks to both of you..

My new space will be approx 5 x 10, and I plan to use 2 1000's down the middle, which should leave me with 24"s of space between plants and bulbs on each side.

This will be my first through and through vert grow. This current grow I actually used 1 of my 1000's vertically with my tallest plants, I had the 1000 about mid height of the plant...they seemed to like it.

I'm curious though Whodare, you sat you put the bottom of your bulb at the top of the plants...why? To encourage the indy plants to stretch correct?

Red, why do you say it's cheaper to veg hori?

Just curious,be patient folks...I just want to get all my knowledge first, b4 I delve fully into vert growing...

Since I'm gonna be starting in a new location with only a few plants at first, I may end up flowering half the room hori ..not sure.

I'm sure I'm going vert, lol my biggest concern is how (DWC, coco, or pipes)...

Will figure it out...

I may sketch up a rough draft and post, and see what you guys/girls think..

whodare

Veteran
^^^

yep... having the bulbs above the indicas cause them to stretch a little more, it will also prevent your indies from growing sideways...

bulbs even with sativas. will cause them to shorten nodes and slow stretch a little...

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks to both of you..

My new space will be approx 5 x 10, and I plan to use 2 1000's down the middle, which should leave me with 24"s of space between plants and bulbs on each side.

This will be my first through and through vert grow. This current grow I actually used 1 of my 1000's vertically with my tallest plants, I had the 1000 about mid height of the plant...they seemed to like it.

I'm curious though Whodare, you sat you put the bottom of your bulb at the top of the plants...why? To encourage the indy plants to stretch correct?

Red, why do you say it's cheaper to veg hori?

Just curious,be patient folks...I just want to get all my knowledge first, b4 I delve fully into vert growing...

Since I'm gonna be starting in a new location with only a few plants at first, I may end up flowering half the room hori ..not sure.

I'm sure I'm going vert, lol my biggest concern is how (DWC, coco, or pipes)...

Will figure it out...

I may sketch up a rough draft and post, and see what you guys/girls think..

It depends on the situation you're in, for instance, i can throw about 20 plants under my t5 - or t8 - t9 what ever it may be, plants will grow beautiful and healthy but wont be as fast as when you're using HID, now the HID is going to cost me more in bills while the other solutions would be much cheaper,,,, you get the idea

its also easier to work with them with those T5 horizontal vs the HID vertical, now you could always veg hem horizontal with HID if you have the money for it ;)

possibilities are endless bro, choose what best for ya :):)

cheers,

Incognegro

AAhhhh!! lol Duh!! lol

My bad, that was kinda silly... I do currently veg under flouro, and I'm actually supposed to get my new 6bulb T5 setup, (I can get them for CHEAAAAP) anyway...

I had planned to veg them under the T5's, them throwin them under the HIDs for about a week or so to veg, them into flower...i'll figure it out..

thanks again

whodair

Veteran
Benefits of Vertical Growing

height...hitting the ceiling with vertical !!

picture.php

Suspect

Veteran
^^^

yep... having the bulbs above the indicas cause them to stretch a little more, it will also prevent your indies from growing sideways...

bulbs even with sativas. will cause them to shorten nodes and slow stretch a little...

Hello vertical gangsters!

I'm just setting up my first verty, I'm gonna run 400W MH and HPS for flower..
So, question is, what do you suggest as good bulb-height for indicas? in my picture the distance from the bulbs lowest light emitting point to bucket edge is 32cm (~12inches). My own educated guess is lowering it with about 4 inches?
picture.php

In case you wonder, yes sonoconnect to connect the whole thing..

whodare

Veteran
for indicas id place the tip of the bulb at the top of your plants, at least for veg and stretch...

after stretch you can lower it into the canopy half way and youll get nice nugs top to bottom.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm just setting up my first verty, I'm gonna run 400W MH and HPS for flower..

What are your room temps like? You'd be much happier in the end without that cooltube....if the room will allow it. 400's don't give off much heat.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:tiphat:

thinkin

light training

light training

Managing the height through light training:

Vertical lights give you the option of automatic height limiting.
no extra lst, hst.. less maintenance... more compact plant.

Given plants grow the the light, plant stops growing taller once past the light. (After the stretch, I adjust light higher.)

Huge for microgrowers. I bet bigger grows always utilize smaller better yeilding plants.

I use a vertical cool tube and the duct on top effectively limits the height of the light. My girls are always 19"-17" tall using 150 hps.

Cant say enough about advantages of VERT!

but.. must disclose. Holding a plant back in height in veg while waiting for a runt to catch up wont work out as well as you might think. Plants will be different sizes. Deal with it.