What's new

Beekeeping

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Our bees came Sunday before last, and we opened up the hive yesterday. Several hand sized combs already.

Something I've never seen before- a couple hundred bees refused to leave the box. Usually, there a few that either find their way to the hive in the next day or just die, but these have been hanging out for 10 days now- leaving and coming back during the day and balling up at night. Weird...

M

MummyCat

Our bees came Sunday before last, and we opened up the hive yesterday. Several hand sized combs already.

Something I've never seen before- a couple hundred bees refused to leave the box. Usually, there a few that either find their way to the hive in the next day or just die, but these have been hanging out for 10 days now- leaving and coming back during the day and balling up at night. Weird...

The bees wont leave the box they were shipped in, you have to shake, brush flick them all out into the new hive.

Congrats on your new bees! :biggrin::woohoo:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any IC'ers keep bees? Been wondering about it myself.

Mr S.. I have a Brother-in-law that is in the bee business. He has 100 hives and is expanding to 200 this year..it's a full time job for him. There is also a lot more to it than meets the eye. I infuse cannabis into honey for my own use but have contemplated making it avalible to the patients of our state..good thread.DD
picture.php

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
The bees wont leave the box they were shipped in, you have to shake, brush flick them all out into the new hive.

Congrats on your new bees! :biggrin::woohoo:

I realize that- there are usually a handful left, and in the past we've just set the box next to the hive and they find their way in. This time they are determined to stay. I could shake them out, but have never seen this behavior before. I'm thinking of setting up another hive and seeing if they'll try to make a go of it, since theyve survived away from the rest this long.

ICMaggotMe

My local craigslist has someone selling a cedar "Top Bar Beehive" for 125 bucks. Are these good or should I look for a more conventional beehive?
5Ia5Gf5M53F83J23Nbc4t37a7542085bb1fe9.jpg

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Top bar is the way to go, especially for hobby beekeeping.

That's one spiffy looking hive, and $125 seems reasonable for cedar with hinged lid and legs.
It actually has a window in the side?! Sweet...!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bee good....

Bee good....

Really nice pic....did you photograph that bee?....
Hey thanks guys..yes I captured that..lucky shot. I shot over 1000 frames for a lady artist who paints. She used my images in one of her paintings and that painting was used on the fromt page of a Bee magazine. I have a pile of the pix but I could never get one like that again..they were difficult..Cheers..DD

picture.php

picture.php

ICMaggotMe

Wow DD, thanks for sharing your photos here. We never truly see the true beauty of these little creatures until they're memorialized in a picture.

Huge props on the macro photography for sure.

Latest posts

Latest posts