What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

be careful w/sheet metal!

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
this evening as i was putting together a reducer for a new carbon filter i had an accident.

pushed too hard and next thing i knew jammed my hand into the edge. laid things wide open next to my thumb on my palm.

just got back from emergency room with 8 stitches in my hand.

be careful!

peace
jip

P

potlatch

Does anyone use mechanic's gloves?
(There was no such thing when I worked on cars as a young'n.)

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I've done a bit of sheetmetal work, shit is like a razor blade, I still cringe at the thought of some cuts I've had.

WasntMe

I NEVER do sheet metal work, use power tools, touch fiber glass, or use chisels without them:
Leather_work_gloves.jpg

Leather work gloves are a must have safety item ... goggles too.

this evening as i was putting together a reducer for a new carbon filter i had an accident.

pushed too hard and next thing i knew jammed my hand into the edge. laid things wide open next to my thumb on my palm.

be careful!

peace
jip

Dude i was assembling a 12-10" reducer on saturday and managed to split the tip of my thumb to the bone thru a shop glove. Couldn't believe it, one slip and i slice right thru rawhide and my nail....

newmexgrow

have a moment to think....

have a moment to think....

pushing is where you get hurt..never push on something when you can pull on something..this oges for wrences ratchets and sheet metal. If you slip, yu often put lots of force on the impact point, which is how you can cut a glove.

It's a fine idea to have first aid supplies and the number of your local hospital if you do something really bad..like cut an artery

treat all sheet metal like razors and all electrical wiring like it's live and you're standing barefoot in a puddle of water.

Oh yeah..handling chemicals..keep your googles on and NEVER use any container that is typically used for consumption for mixing or storgae. you'll live longer.

I was filling a storgae battery a few years ago and came a few mm's from splashing acid in my eye...when I pulled the hose out of the battery, a drop of acid flipped up onto my face..getting ph up/down in your eye would be equally as nasty. Have a squirt bottle filled with water handy by your sink..it's an eye saver.

glad the injury wasn't severe enough to cause real damage. Buddy of mine tlost three fingers on a table saw a few years ago. Great product out there if you use a table saw in your mainline work. "sawstop".

I'd like something like that to zap me when I'm about to wack my head on a reflector hood.

Yah`mon

I'm a Union Pipefitter and we joke around with Tin knockers (sheet metal workers) They really are lucky to retire with 10fingers. :laughing: Good idea to wear nice work gloves around sheet metal even Kevlar sleeves are a good idea , and just be conscious around it, It will slice you like a red knife through butter. Also same goes for porcelain, not that you will have much in your grow room, but if you ever move a toilet etc, don't mess around it can slice your hand off no problem!

Yah`mon :tiphat:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I keep my fingers numbered for just such an occasion. Glad you're still intact.

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
all good thanks for asking

gonna remove the stitches in a couple days got the new filter all hooked up. first time with the Phresh brand and it is working like a champ.

peace
jip

hazydreams

so one time this asshole i know was cutting a hood scoop into a race car with a die grinder with no guard... he was careful to remove the under hood support pieces, careful to set the opening in the exact center of the hood careful to put safety glasses on. Then proceeded to start the plunge cut. you see the hood brackets weren't symmetrical and the opening was slightly skewed to the left of where the supports were removed. then the die grinder hit the hood support and ripped out of the users hands. which he instinctively tried to catch in all of its finger removing rotating madness..... i still to this day wear the scar on my knuckle. all digits still intact. no trip to the hospital. I got LUCKY! gloves will save skin and fingers, how much are these things worth to you...

glad your ok with minor wounds... sheet metal, if its not the material the tools with getcha just as fast.

mcattak

be careful!

peace
jip

Pictures

mc

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
I fucking hate sheet metal... About 10 years ago some friends of mine were setting up a full DIY/stolen part 400W closet grow, and one of them had swiped a big piece of sheet from where he worked to fabricate a reflector. As I was chastising them for stealing shit and giving the 'karma is a bitch' speech, somehow this piece of sheet metal got knocked over and fell edge-first right toward me. I managed to get my body out of the way, but the corner of the sheet caught the tip of my thumb and just filleted it right to the bone. The only time in my life I've ever had blood coming out of my body in giant spurts. It looked like they killed someone in that room.

I guess karma is blind bitch, too... tries to take out the lonely beacon of restraint from time to time just for fun.

C

CANNATOPIA

Yep been there with less stitches friend, better luck next time lol

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
I never work with sheet metal, duct, or hardware cloth without gloves.
Keeps my hands soft and supple for the ladies.
Here's to a speedy recovery and the $100 ER copay.

Latest posts

Latest posts