What's new

Bayer makes offer to buy Monsanto

ECtraveler

Veteran
A merger between one of the world's largest Pharmaceutical companies and the world's largest Bio-Ag corporation. What could go wrong?

Monsanto (MON) disclosed late Wednesday that it has received an unsolicited offer from its German rival. Monsanto said its board was reviewing the proposal, but cautioned that a deal was not guaranteed.

While the companies did not disclose the offer's financial terms, Monsanto (MON) is likely to command a price that exceeds its current market value of $42 billion. Any deal would require regulatory approval.

Bayer (BAYRY), which is strongest in Asia and Europe, stands to gain from Monsanto's expertise in agriculture and seeds. The combined company would span pharmaceuticals, consumer health products, agriculture and pesticides.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/19/investing/monsanto-bayer-merger/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

RetroGrow

Veteran
Two corrupt companies, each one guilty of poisoning us. Together, they will poison us even more. These are criminal companies. Organized crime. They should be shut down. Bayer is poisoning people with their antibiotic, "Cipro", which has devastating side effects that are the cause of "Gulf War Syndrome", and "post Ebola syndrome". They are fully aware that their Cipro has poisoned and destroyed many thousands, but refuse to take it off the market, and refuse to compensate those who have been harmed. Cipro is poison. Check out the website: ciproispoisondot com.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I read that Bayer made an offer of 62 billion. That's a lot of Roundup. Bayer would be the worlds largest GMO marketing company. Oh well we are screwed. Does anyone need a little Roundup in their breakfast cereal?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Bayer will pony up to 80 billion before it's done, but Monsanto
has much litigation to "weed out" first.

ahem, weed out, lol.

Shareholders give no fuck about anything but profit. They will
sell, board be dismantled and lots of bribes/lobbying taking
place.

It's an election year, and lots of congressional misdirection.

At least journalists will root out the dirty deeds and headlines
will scream the injustice.

Or not.

The new iPhone release will get more ink than this deal.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Hmmmm- not content with inventing heroin, they want the rights to fck the world up even further.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a good thing. I mean, finally, a corn that will fight my headache and a tomato that can fight restless leg syndrome.

Max Headroom

Veteran
lets not forget that Bayer was a part of the gigantic IG Farben cartell (which in no small part cooperated with Standard Oil before and during the war) and was the engine of the nazi warmachine.
All main companies have survived.
AGFA, BASF, Bayer, Hoechst AG (now Sanofi) - looks like all the parts are doing well!
(BASF alone is the biggest chemical producer in the world)

IG Farben uber alles! :(

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to grow right next to a Bayer lab. Their security team was everywhere. They made my grow safer and didn't even know it.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also I'm pretty sure AIDS was manufactured by Bayer or some other big pharma.

Max Headroom

Veteran
Also I'm pretty sure AIDS was manufactured by Bayer or some other big pharma.

i think many diseases were 'manufactured' by the chemical industry - on one hand they put poisons in our food that make us sick and on the other hand they sell us 'medicine' that is supposed to 'cure' us.