What's new

Bangkok question

tuco

Hey there. I know a lot of you guys have some good knowledge on Thailand.

Heading to Bangkok tomorrow. I have heard that some of the hotels can't really be trusted in regards to holding onto your documents and valuables...maybe this is bullshit, sorry - don't mean to paint the entire town with a broad brush.

I think my room has a in-room safe or would you recomend leaving it with staff at the front desk. Mostly I want security for my passport and laptop. My hotel is not cheap or expensive...middle of the road in a more business district.

Maresi.

b8man

Veteran
Hey Tuco

Yeah, it's a fairly dodgy country to travel in. The main thing is getting your credit cards copied or stolen. My advice would be to never use a card in any shop - fine for ATMs but otherwise watch out. I don't think passport theft is that common - all hotels are required to take a copy of your passport anyway so I wouldn't really worry about that. Take a photocopy of your passport too as there are quite a few security checks around and it'll speed things up if you get stopped.

Laptop... it won't fit in the safe, i can tell you that. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd leave it in the open in your room. But you know, back everything up onto an external drive before you go. And get insurance!

Otherwise standard rules for travelling apply - don't look like a target.

Most decent hotels have a safe in the room,...use that. Dont leave your laptop "on show", it could go missing....

Dont want to sound racist but "Falang" [anyone that aint Thai] have not got any rights here,.....even the B@$*@rd Police wont do anything unless yo pay them for a kind of service......

Dont use your CC here in small sops like tailors etc as "cloning" is a problem in the Sukhumvit area,....especially Nana area, and of course "Pat Pong" which is in Silom"

Sorry to say that due to the heavy monsoon we have had this year nearly all the local stuff is SHit and i mean crap [at the moment that is] for at least the last 4 months or so. You can pick up Indain/Nepalese hashes, and now is the right time also as its making its way over due to the harvests occuring there now.

Good luck, and keep safe,..

TF

3chomes

I've been to Thailand something like more than 20 times.
Short trips, long(ish) trips, transits.
Never had anything dodgy happening to my belongings in my room or anywhere else.
Yeah, never trust the police to help you out if you get into a 'situation'.
After all, we all 'falangs' and it's their country and they have seen more than enough foreigners trampling through and making sh!t there, not speaking for everybody who goes there of course, but you know what I mean.
Just as in any other place on the planet, just trust what your gut feeling tells you, if you don't feel safe in one place, just move.