What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Baking with protein powder - making biscuits -anyone tried this?

Cuddles

As I keep making oat cookies for myself , I´ve been wondering about putting protein powder in with them to make them a little more nutritious.
I used to make no-bake protein bars with chocolate whey and actual chocolate (melted down). The results was more of a chocolate, rather powdery, cake, rather than a protin bar but still nice :)

But as bicuits are dry anyway I figured I could just as well throw in some protein powder.

So now I´m wondering if any of you guys have actually tried this out yet and what your results were like.

Mudballs2.0

I put some in my pancake mix once...changed texture a little bit but were still pancakes. Proteins usually denature (unravel and become useless) around 48c some withstand higher..depends on the structure but yeah make biscuits and try. Turns out its too much trouble, better for me to just make a durn shake and be done

Digit

Hemp protein powder?

I have an excess, from mis-ordering it instead of kernels.

Trying to remember to put it in everything, so it gets used before its use-by date.

I'm not a big biscuit making expert, but some experiments went okay-ish.

Even including a no-cook honey and coconut powder bucket experiment (and I add cherry & vit C to give it a nice tang).

Cuddles

Hemp protein powder?

I have an excess, from mis-ordering it instead of kernels.

Trying to remember to put it in everything, so it gets used before its use-by date.

I'm not a big biscuit making expert, but some experiments went okay-ish.

Even including a no-cook honey and coconut powder bucket experiment (and I add cherry & vit C to give it a nice tang).
I don´t have any hemp protein powder but it sounds kinda nice. What does it taste like?
I currently only have Almased and in the past I have tried whey from a couple of different companies.
Trouble with whey is that it doesn´t mix very well and the best way is to mix it is to use a blender. The stuff is really, really foamy, lol.

experienced

In my experience ... any dried ingredient may be included in a biscuit recipe. Just deduct an amount of flour equal to the weight of the dry ingredient you wish to include.

For example: Recipe calls for say, 100 grams of flour and you seek to include 20 grams of finely powdered dried cannabis flowers ... then use 80 grams of flour + 20 grams powdered cannabis flowers.

Actually our recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of flour. We take out 28 grams of flour and put in 28 grams of powdered heads. That makes 28 - 30 biscuits which must be eaten 1/4 at a time. Any more than 1/4 at one time induces a zombie-like experience ...

Nice tho' ...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm thinking that she's making cookie type biscuits... as in the UK definition.

They would probably call US biscuits scones.

I don't know, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I know that protein pancakes are a little strange in consistency but I think it's worth the trade off.

Cuddles

I'm thinking that she's making cookie type biscuits... as in the UK definition.

They would probably call US biscuits scones.

I don't know, just thought I'd throw it out there.

I know that protein pancakes are a little strange in consistency but I think it's worth the trade off.
yes, I usually make biscuits as they keep longer. Although they don´t always survive very long lol .

The only reason I started to make them is because oats are very healthy as well as filling. These biscuits are great when you´re feeling a little hungry and fancy a little something to nibble on. They´re not fattening like regular, store-buy biscuits.
I gave some to my mum and she confirmed this also. She called me to tell me that they help her when she´s hungry and waiting for my dad to come home for the actual meal.

So,I usually make chocolate biscuits and I only use dark chocolate. As for the protein shake powder, I only have Almased available right now, so I used this.

As for the taste - the Almased is surprisingly dominant.
I used very, very little sugar -only about 3-5 tablespoons in total (I hardly ever use more) and this includes the 2-3 packets of vanilla sugar. It may have been better with a little extra.

My conclusion is just as I had suspected: It would taste a lot better with chocolate flavoured protein powder.

Last edited:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
If you like oats in your biscuits try making ANZAC biscuits, they are great with weed in too.

Ingredients​

Makes about 38
g (9 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
g (2 Tbsp.) golden syrup
g (¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp.; firmly packed) dark brown sugar
g (1 cup plus 3 Tbsp.) all-purpose flour, sifted
g (1 cup plus 2 Tbsp.) old-fashioned rolled oats
g (1 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
½
tsp. Diamond Crystal or ¼ tsp. Morton kosher salt
½
tsp. baking soda

Preparation​

1. Step 1​

Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F/180°C or if you have a convection oven use 320°F/160°C fan). Heat butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over medium, stirring, until melted. Remove from heat.

Step 2​

Whisk brown sugar, flour, oats, coconut, and salt in a large bowl to combine. Stir baking soda and 2 Tbsp. hot water in a cup until baking soda is dissolved. Pour into butter mixture, stirring to combine. Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

Step 3​

Scoop out level tablespoonfuls of dough and roll or press into balls. Place balls on 2 parchment-lined large baking sheet, spacing at least 2" apart (you won’t be able to fit them all). Slightly flatten balls with a spoon.

Step 4​

Bake biscuits, until golden and edges are slightly firm, 11–13 minutes. For chewier cookies bake 1–2 minutes less, for crispier cookies bake 1–2 minutes longer. Let cool on baking sheets. Repeat with remaining balls of dough.
    Do ahead: Biscuits can be baked 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

Holeshot51

Better off using non dairy protein powders . Usually have higher fibre content, which helps energy levels over a longer period.Better texture.
Peanut butter is a better option than cows milk whey.