What's new

Back after a long break - White Russian vert grow diary coming up!

JJdub

Ok so no one will remember me...i dont even know why my post count has gone down to zero...maybe i made a new account with a new email...i dont even remember its been so long!
Anyways...i am back to the hobby and going to grow out some serious seeds White Russians.
Going to do it vertical scrog styley like last 2 grows.
I wanted to ask my fellow aussies their thoughts on thissssss:

1) What brands/types of bulbs r the way to go these days?
I used MH all the way through before as i didnt want to buy 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs for each vert scrog.
In canada...where i used to live....ppl would do mh for veg and hps for flower but over here ppl seem to think its MH all the way...any thoughts?
I also heard that MH puts out some UV but HPS doesnt. Some ppl say to use it for the last week of flower....

2) I would like to eventually go fully organic but for the 1st run i think i will do what i know best and use House & Garden coco with some mollasses and worm tea thrown in during flowering.
Any updates or thoughts about the latest greatest nutrient lines these days? How is house & garden these days?

3) I am going to be doing coco+perlite as usual....I used to use the bags of perlite but the compressed bricks tend to be half the price....is the quality the same...am i missing something?

Now its a toss up between 2 vertical scrog rings of 600w each or 1 1000watter!??!! decisions decisions.
anyways...when the seeds come in...i will start keeping a diary.

JJdub

hey jjdub welcome im new here too :)
Well technically im not new...i prob had over 500 posts when i used to frequent this site years ago.
My seeds have yet to come in...but when they do...there will be a mad diary coming up...with pics and videos galore :)

HEy mate...

MOst people these days use MH to veg and HPS to flower....you can buy globes now with a mix of both. As for brands theres dozons out there now, i havent seen much difference between the 50 bux globes and the 90.

But the new rage in lights seems to be GAvita....give em a search they r impressive...but expensive.

i found the quality of the bags heeps better than the bricx which seem to need pre flushing.

1000s watter always gona yield more but all depends if ya got the space and the air flow to keep temps in check :)

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Personally I would go with 1000W HPS if you can control the temps. But that's just me....other people do it differently.

Good luck anyway.

JJdub

HEy mate...

MOst people these days use MH to veg and HPS to flower....you can buy globes now with a mix of both. As for brands theres dozons out there now, i havent seen much difference between the 50 bux globes and the 90.

But the new rage in lights seems to be GAvita....give em a search they r impressive...but expensive.

i found the quality of the bags heeps better than the bricx which seem to need pre flushing.

1000s watter always gona yield more but all depends if ya got the space and the air flow to keep temps in check :)
I checked out the Gavita lights but they wont work for me with my vertical scrog setup....

i thought only the bricks from bunnings have issues with salt content...i thought the brands like GH and hydroponics brands had pre flushed shit!?!?
$15 compared to $35...there must be a diff other than easier to pack and ship.

I will def go with a 1000watter the question is whether MH or HPS...i wish they made CMH in 1000's
but do u think 1 - 1000w would yield better than 2- 600's? cuz i wanna keep my electrical bill to a min.

JJdub

Personally I would go with 1000W HPS if you can control the temps. But that's just me....other people do it differently.

Good luck anyway.
I think im gonna go with 1-1000watter open bulb in the middle of the vertical scrog....i can only afford 1 bulb and ballast for now...so need to decide quick...HPS or MH the whole way haha!?!?!??!

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Welcome JJDub :gday:
Most of the cheaper bricks of coco will be crappy but then some of the expensive stuff has been crap too, it's a lucky dip because most of the worlds coco comes from Sri Lanka and Malaysia then it depends on the company packing and distributing it around the world, and some of these companies have very poor quality control as I've found rocks and rusty nails in blocks of coco before.
I would go with a name brand coco like canna or something similar, just my 2 cents worth :tiphat:
Also have you thought about maybe using 2 600w Hps instead of 1 1000w Hps, especially in a vert setup the 2 bulbs of light will give you better penetration and light distribution with 2 light sources compared to 1 bulb, there is heaps an heaps of info on this in the Vertical / Colosseum Growing Section of ICMag.

Best of Luck with your grow mate :gday:

JJdub

Welcome JJDub :gday:
Most of the cheaper bricks of coco will be crappy but then some of the expensive stuff has been crap too, it's a lucky dip because most of the worlds coco comes from Sri Lanka and Malaysia then it depends on the company packing and distributing it around the world, and some of these companies have very poor quality control as I've found rocks and rusty nails in blocks of coco before.
I would go with a name brand coco like canna or something similar, just my 2 cents worth :tiphat:
Also have you thought about maybe using 2 600w Hps instead of 1 1000w Hps, especially in a vert setup the 2 bulbs of light will give you better penetration and light distribution with 2 light sources compared to 1 bulb, there is heaps an heaps of info on this in the Vertical / Colosseum Growing Section of ICMag.

Best of Luck with your grow mate :gday:
Thanks Boom...i went and picked up a bag of canna coco...0ppm is a good thing...will be starting my seeds today right in the coco.

Latest posts

Latest posts