What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autos in shitty summer @60N -> indoors? What to do..

Balubaba

This year, I only had some uknown bastard seeds form last year. Lately, I've seen some mold here and there, so after a pissing wet summery thunderstorm, and more rain to come, I'm considering bringing them indoors, even though it will just be a in living room in an empty house I have access to... no ventilation, no nothing..

They've been growing in 15 liter (3+ gallon) pots with fairly hot compost soil, and I haven't added anything all summer, beside a couple of inches of cow manure compost added some weeks ago, but no sign of yellowing before last week or so..
At the moment, there is almost more pistils than flower, and I'll probably "harvest calyxes" along the stem even, just to get a few extra tokes..

So, to the question.. if I suddenly blast the plants with one or two old 400w HPS (how many hours spent, I have NO idea) @ 24/0 hours (no timer), will this stress the plants for the last two weeks?

I'm also considering some molasses, as I don't have any nutrients with low N - this was just a plant and forget project.
Will the bacteria break down any molasses to get any effect to speak of? Have in mind, I barely have any bud, so any improvement..
Don't care about taste, don't care about flushing.. just kinda desperate..

What to do?

Last edited:

Balubaba

Also, how will the plants respond to a 80% harvest, just to leave some "buds" to go 50% ? amber for sleep meds?

St. Phatty

Could always grow a bunch of seedlings, and harvest the growing tips, then use the cuttings in edibles.

There is a decent amount of THC there.

Especially if you're had to abstain for a while, it should be quite enjoyable.

Make sure to "calibrate" the baked goods, by eating a very small amount, so as not to overdose.

goingrey

Why would you give them 24 hours of light? Yes it will stress them, they might even start revegging. Just buy a timer.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
Despite they are autos, the plants need to sleep too. ;) So you(energy costs) and your plants(metabolism) are better with 18/6.

goingrey

Oh right autos. Probably won't reveg then, probably.

Can't go out and buy a timer? Interesting or well strange. But if that's how it is then that's how it is. Turning the lights on and off manually is always an option, I guess.

Never used molasses but many people do. Should be ok. More of a supplement than a complete fertilizer but better than nothing.

Balubaba

There are only shitty mechanical/"household" timers available around here, that the HPS knocks out.. and ordering online.. well, it will probably get here way into amber anyway..

Autos seems to perform ok under 24/0, from what I read.. but yeah, many also seem to conclude that the plants can benefit from some rest.. seems logical...

The weather is clearing up though.. the forecasts this summer are really schizophrenic.. me thinks it's because of weather modification messing up the models and calculations.. but that's a another discussion :p

Will give them some molasses and let them stay outside, for now at least.. flash dried "buds" are surprisingly potent.. and a friend of mine got a nice day time high from just fan leaves.. who'd have thunk it?

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
420giveaway
Do you live in nowhere that you can't buy a timer!? Very strange that someone owns a hps light but no timer. 😜

Try 24/0 if you want, it's your money...

Last edited:

Balubaba

Yeah, no.. I have to drive several hours to the nearest grow shop, and mechanical timers from "Walmart", like I said... and the HPS are from a grow from 20 years ago that never came to life.. any more nit picking? :p :D

Autos grow fine under 24 hr, but if someone want's to argue that max 20/4 is somewhat better, they're probably right...

Balubaba

Yah.. some pics for more nit picking? ;) haha.. neh.. I'm of the old school, paranoid type, and don't take any incriminating pictures, especially on a whim..
Maybe if I had a grow log going, or for diagnosis.. then I'd find something else to use than my phone (y) Police around here are real nazis...

Let me see around harvest time, and when I make cobs of most of it (y)

lemonade

Veteran
Hey @Balubaba, like i was saying in my experience autos are fine under 24 hr. Im personally not a huge fan of autos but being at 60N I understand why they’d be useful/essential in your situation. I’m at about 50N but in a microclimate that is actually quite hot and dry.

That being said, i’ve run autos outdoor here and there on a lark since about 2005. While quality has certainly improved since then, I'm still not satisfied. I mean, if you have the option of finishing indoors i personally wouldn't mess with autos at all, unless perhaps in an experimental capacity, but thats just me.

For me by the end of Oct its better to just move plants inside if possible. I use only 8-10 hr light (1kw HPS) when they're brought inside to finish. These are reg photo plants however.

Like i was saying 24 hr for autos is fine, just a bit of a waste of power. Id manually turn em off personally. Or just buy a “wallmart” timer. Even most cheap timers should be rated for 15A.

A 400w light is only 3.3 amps @ 120v.

400w / 120v = 3.333333A

Hope this helps :)

Balubaba

Only the earliest danish photos will finish outdoor here, in a normal good season. Anything that isn't finished by the end of august/first week of september will probably rot away. In wet years, things starts rotting away even in early august.
I live on the coast just above 60N, and even firewood has to be treated somewhat differently than other places in the country.. wet, wet, wet..

The timers are rated high enough, but the start up surge "blow them up".

Normally I don't have the option to bring them indoors.. just now, I have a window of a month or so in a vacant house, before they have to be out of there..

Balubaba

I walk out to my spot every day now to pick moldy calyxes and nipping half a molding bud here and there.. the sun is shining, but the humidity is rising, with fog coming in at night.

Next year, I will be better prepared.. I had two seed orders seized by customs, and in desperation I germinated some bag seeds from last year, some time well into june.. if I popped them in the beginning of may, I would probably be smoking by now :p

Balubaba

Heeey.. I stumbled over half a bag of Plagrons Mega Worm, but I can't make sense of the numbers on the bag, or find any info on their site.

I gave them a round of molasses 2 or 3 days ago.
Can I brew up some castings for a last dose of something-something next time around, or do I risk adding too much N?
As I wrote in OP, I don't care about flushing or taste, or nothing.. just want to give them a couple of last kick in the ass..

Just had a look in the microscope.. one plant is still on barely any amber, from last time i checked a week ago, and the others are still just milky, one or two with still a few clear... but no visible change.. not that I take pics or keep a journal or anything.. but pistils are just as white and fresh as last week.. seems like a stand still.. that, or I germinated way later into june than I thought I did..

Some pics might be nice, but there's so little bud compared to pistils, that they only look like they're half way through flowering anyway..

Does trichomes on autos mature with just age, or do they need sunny days as well to ripen?