What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Automation

M

medi-useA

Awesome recap. You could be a professional Project Manager. :)

Thanks...when I can get the right type of stoned...I can be eloquent and concise with observations...

With the wrong type of stone, I sit, scratch meself and drool!:eggnog:

muA

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran

Heres a basic topping valve built with everyday parts.

This is a toilet valve connected to a garden hose, Plastic bracket is just an ordinary plastic wastebasket cut up. The tank is a garbage can.

Set your desired level of nutirent, and the water will be added back.

I figgure people have better things to do than pour water into tanks.

If you need more details just ask.

M

medi-useA

Th@'s a sweet MacGuyver Job, GGW!...I replaced my toilet float with one of those...Hmm..:)...I also have the bits and pieces of an old Evap Air Con th@ I wanna use...
Float, pump..taps and tubing...even a bigarsed motor and fan!

I like the way you have used wing nuts instead of wingless nuts...It makes for so much more of a user friendly feel...I have a selection of wingnuts on hand to replace wingless nuts as I can...little things like this help.

I'm thinking th@ a wheelie bin or a half or quarter sized wheelie bin would be an ideal rez with this setup....even if it's only used when you're on holidays...

How reliable do you find the piston float in comparison with a lever float?...mine stuck a lot for the first 3 weeks and I had to use half my toolkit on it..{Duct tape to stop stuff moving and WD40 to get stuff moving! :)} before it worked smoothly.

This is such a simple concept!
Thank you for posting it!

muA

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Th@'s a sweet MacGuyver Job, GGW!...I replaced my toilet float with one of those...Hmm..:)...I also have the bits and pieces of an old Evap Air Con th@ I wanna use...
Float, pump..taps and tubing...even a bigarsed motor and fan!

I like the way you have used wing nuts instead of wingless nuts...It makes for so much more of a user friendly feel...I have a selection of wingnuts on hand to replace wingless nuts as I can...little things like this help.

I'm thinking th@ a wheelie bin or a half or quarter sized wheelie bin would be an ideal rez with this setup....even if it's only used when you're on holidays...

How reliable do you find the piston float in comparison with a lever float?...mine stuck a lot for the first 3 weeks and I had to use half my toolkit on it..{Duct tape to stop stuff moving and WD40 to get stuff moving! :)} before it worked smoothly.

This is such a simple concept!
Thank you for posting it!

muA

I suppose any toilet valve could be used. I cant say how smoothly this setup will work, its still being tested.

So in all honesty, I dont know how well the piston style float works.
If in fact the piston style doesnt function as promised I will make a note of it and change the design.

The wing nuts serve 2 purposes.

1. The level can be adjusted for the float. and the float has adjustablity. So thats roughly 8 inches of adjustment.

2. Serviceablity, If the float assembly needs to be removed, its a time saver not to be searching for tools. BTW the hardware is Stainless.

:eggnog:

M

medi-useA

I suppose any toilet valve could be used. I cant say how smoothly this setup will work, its still being tested.

So in all honesty, I dont know how well the piston style float works.
If in fact the piston style doesnt function as promised I will make a note of it and change the design.
my only prob was it sticking...{after I had installed it just right} so if you can solve th@ in a way th@ won't contaminate your res...you're off and running! :)

The wing nuts serve 2 purposes.

1. The level can be adjusted for the float. and the float has adjustablity. So thats roughly 8 inches of adjustment.

2. Serviceablity, If the float assembly needs to be removed, its a time saver not to be searching for tools. BTW the hardware is Stainless.

:eggnog:

Both good points!...

muA

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Quick post on PLC.

Programmable Logic Controler.

Well this thing is more like a smart relay.

Now I suppose you guys could go with other solutions, that have data logging, and a slick user interface, but I like this thing.

12 120V/240V AC inputs.
4 relay outputs.

This goes beyond your basic timer.

Possible solutions with this.

- Use as a pump timer for your hydroponics res, and this could control timed nutrient dump and changeout.

- Combo light control and fan control.

- Attach to a low RPM motor, and use a photocell to move lights up, like a canopy sensor.

My last application of this unit was a aeroponic timer and temp fan control.

Hephaestus

GGW - Yeah it's that ugly ladder logic programming that kills me :) I've got a bunch of mistubishi fx14mr's kicking around I could be playing with - but the programming makes me crazy :smokeit:

M

medi-useA

Hephaestus...you need logic programming to make you crazy?...All I need is no weed!
hehehehe

GGW, will look into this when I'm not so wasted...:)

Is this of any use to plc users?

Thanks for posting.

muA

Hephaestus..All 3 of my tv's have died....any parts in them th@ might be salvageable? NEC ROWA and Sanyo brands

or any one else's suggestions.

I figure there have to be some bits I can salvage!

Can you think of uses for remotes?...I have 10 or more...:)

Hephaestus

Dunno - been at least 10 years since I've ripped a tv apart... Come to think of it - wasn't so much ripping apart as it was tv disposal... It "let out the magic smoke" while we were stoned, and on the 15th storey - knowing it wouldn't fit down the Chute... And well the parking lot was closed/emptied for spring cleanup...

It made a really cool sound when it hit :D

:joint:

Probably could use the remote with some kind of IR receiver setup for remote control - but that might not be a good thing... I can see my wife picking it up and pressing buttons trying to turn on a tv...

M

medi-useA

Dunno - been at least 10 years since I've ripped a tv apart... Come to think of it - wasn't so much ripping apart as it was tv disposal... It "let out the magic smoke" while we were stoned, and on the 15th storey - knowing it wouldn't fit down the Chute... And well the parking lot was closed/emptied for spring cleanup...

It made a really cool sound when it hit :D
Hehehe...aint anarchy great!:xmasnut:

Probably could use the remote with some kind of IR receiver setup for remote control - but that might not be a good thing... I can see my wife picking it up and pressing buttons trying to turn on a tv...

I thought some of the actual buttons and switches might be of use...Think there might be anything on th pcb's th@ might be worth stripping?

Getting a soldering iron as well as an aduino starter kit, so could use the practice with the iron...

I'm keeping the remotes...@ worst I've for a shitload of IR devices :)

Might just rip out the pcb's and switches and put them away for parts when I'm tinkering...

Thought I might look and see if any parts needed are on the pcb's.

Did you get your bitsNbobs?:gift:

muA

Hephaestus

Nope, no IC's still.. UPS says... Still in winnipeg waiting for customs clearance. I hate UPS and apparently they hate me...

:smokeit:

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
GGW - Yeah it's that ugly ladder logic programming that kills me :) I've got a bunch of mistubishi fx14mr's kicking around I could be playing with - but the programming makes me crazy :smokeit:

I'm no EE or programmer. A basic routine, can be made by an average joe like me in an afternoon. I admit it took me a few attempts to get things running right.

The pico's have a recent program upgrade. Ver 6 is nice, I like it.

I've kinda looked at the mitsubishi's PLC's. I do believe a user here is using it for his E&F grow to control flood times and res fillup.

I mentioned ladder logic to him and he said the mitsubshi's programming language was easier than the allen bradley.

Heck. if you have a bunch of Mistu PLC's laying around, gimme one, I showed another local grower my use of a PLC, and he wants me to install one.

But yeah.. ladder logic is an odd duck.

M

medi-useA

GGW, after Christmas I will get back to you about PLC's...
I'm researching them now...I think they deserve a bit of research and a write up! :)
Hep...patience, man...there's Postal strikes and foul weather the world 'round @ the moment..

If the parts arrive after the Fat Man Rides Again, it don't matter! :)

muA

Hephaestus

Um... Postal strike? Shouldn't really effect a UPS next day air delivery... :joint:

I think the brown has redflagged me... They're just out to piss me off lately - I've actually got 6 active traces going with them (mix of work and personal); I'm getting to be on a first name basis with their call staff :D

:smokeit:

M

medi-useA

When ya get to sharing a spliff with 'em you're set!...keep working @ it!:smokeit:

muA

M

medi-useA

I am an electrical engineer and on my resume I call myself an automation and integration expert. Generally, the goal of automation is to maintain a smaller crew. I enjoying finding ways to make things automated, but when it comes to plants I guess I draw the line. I love to be involved in weed growing. I still think things that make the grow safer or keep the plants alive after an incident are still acceptable though.

KISS...I love the principle...and I love growing any type of plant...
But I also get a hankerin' for tinkering and this is hopefully a productive outlet :)

If you've experience with Automation, please feel free to sick around...we all have queries, I'm sure.

There are many levels of automation...

Something as simple as GrowerGoneWild's res float top up doohicky can have great use for one grower...another may want to purchase a unit for a set purpose...or Completely Automate the Lot!

Some of us are mad enough to attempt to build our own!...:)

As to keeping the grow safer...I'm all for th@!

Th@s another section I'm gonna have to work on...electrical safety. A very important subject!

randude101 keep dropping by...in the new year I hope to post up an updated rewrite and expand on a few things...

Have a great Holiday, wherever you are!

muA

Latest posts

Latest posts