What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Automation

is the shield the board that all the wires get soldered to? so much new lingo that im trying to learn in such a short amount of time. im glad the both of you started the threads that you did, its pretty much forcing me to learn it now.

Hephaestus

In the arduino world a Shield is a board that slides down onto the arduino base board - and expands the basic motherboards ability (think about the pci/isa/??? slots on your pc's motherboard).

M

medi-useA

true, that!....I was overawed by the fact it has 30 something pins, 4X memory and other goodies...but I see exactly what you are talking about.It is both too much and too little for the purpose we want it for.

muA

Hephaestus

An arduino/freeduino would be a really good start - add in the growshield (Hopefully by monday - I can have some pcb's drawn up - order your own, or it is possible - I could start the process to put a group order of assembled shields together); then grab yourself an HD44780 LCD, 4x4 keypad, your sensors, build your power center and you've got a controller... Then it takes one of us to start working on the programming...

Hephaestus

Not just yet - you could get a 'protoshield' or similar - and build your own following the schematic I posted... But for now; not yet off the shelf, probably take 30 days +/- to get some made (assuming I use batchpcb - some are faster, but the price escalates dramatically)

M

medi-useA

Basically an Aduino compatible Shield is a 'piggy-back adaptor board' of sorts...'GrowShield'..it's a good name....I was also thinking about 'GodShield'...to further mankinds attempts to act like God, if only in a room or cabinet! hahahaha

muA

pcb is Printed Circuit Board

Hephaestus

Nah, no use of godshield :) I have enough bad luck without annoying the gods...

Figured growshield was about the best choice, pretty universal whether you're growing discus, angels, apistos, coral, plants, :smoker: or tomatoes... End goal is the same, controlling environment to make the _ grow faster/better/safer.

:joint:

Kicad is confusing me at the moment; modified schematic a bit (putting proper pin headers in for the pcb) and can't get it to reflect in the build list or pcb...

M

medi-useA

Figured growshield was about the best choice, pretty universal whether you're growing discus, angels, apistos, coral, plants, :smoker: or tomatoes... End goal is the same, controlling environment to make the _ grow faster/better/safer.

:joint:

:yes:

@$80 apiece with a 25 board order that racks up to $2000.

I will put in my pre-order. Will have the $$ in 2 weeks...If I have $ to spare I'll buy a few more...
Th@'s $2000-$160=$1840 more to raise...
What is the build time of these boards? I don't mind fronting the $$ and waiting, but I'd like to know how long.

Start a POLL?
Something like

Are You interested in BUILDING YOUR OWN GROW CONTROLLER?

@ a price of approximately $100 or less each,
would you be willing to prepay purchase on an
Hephaestus GrowShield for use with Aduino Board and many Aduino-Clone Boards?

How Many? 1-2-3-4-5-more?

This is a product that requires assembly and soldering.

It is hoped that the first incarnation will nut out any flaws or problems.

Write your own programming or cut and paste another's.
This is an Open Source Platform.
This product can potentially be used to control
{insert specs here}

Have you thought about how pre-payment will be made?
paypal? c card? bank transfer? money order?

Might even be worth it to post something similar on any other cannabis-boards you frequent...

muA

Hephaestus

Man are you excited :) Waiting on some IC's (can't get the mcp23016's or 24lc256's locally) to arrive so I can test the functionality of this circuit... Once that's done; I'll put a run of 5-10 into production at batchpcb.com, take a month +/- to get some bare boards back... I might be arm twisted into assembling a few - not cost effective to have DIP packaged boards built in a factory (especially in very small numbers).

If it all looks good - then I'll do a bigger run of bare boards - likely take 60 days +/- Hopefully during that time version 2 will be ready to go out for prototyping (small run 4-5) ; that'd be a board of surface mount components (smaller ic's) similar specs; parts will be chosen to lessen production costs and finalize the design... Once those test out proper - then we'll look at a production run...

M

medi-useA

Man are you excited :)
Yep:woohoo:

Waiting on some IC's (can't get the mcp23016's or 24lc256's locally) to arrive so I can test the functionality of this circuit... Once that's done; I'll put a run of 5-10 into production at batchpcb.com, take a month +/- to get some bare boards back... I might be arm twisted into assembling a few - not cost effective to have DIP packaged boards built in a factory (especially in very small numbers).
If you want, I am interested in a couple of those prototypes, I would be willing to front the $$ for 1-2 of them to help cover production....I'm willing to learn to solder and put one together...and as I run 240V here in Aus, it might also help to have the prototype prototyped with both 120V and 240V systems...I am sure there are probs one Voltage would have that the other wouldn't...so kill 2 birds with one stone.:nanana:

If it all looks good - then I'll do a bigger run of bare boards - likely take 60 days +/- Hopefully during that time version 2 will be ready to go out for prototyping (small run 4-5) ; that'd be a board of surface mount components (smaller ic's) similar specs; parts will be chosen to lessen production costs and finalize the design... Once those test out proper - then we'll look at a production run...

I'm also up for one of these too!:yoinks:
hehehe

Let me know by pm if you want to take me up on my offer...
I want to Learn!

muA

Hephaestus

Well, 110/240 makes no difference on the shield... The shield will handle the outputs - but it'll be up to you to build the power center (relays or SSRs & plugs), as well as power to the unit (a 5vdc (personally I'm going to use a powered usb hub) for the arduino; and a 12vdc for the pH circuit).

Lets be clear, the shield itself will give you the ability to when attached to an arduino duemilanove/freeduino sb to plug in a LCD, keypad, pH probe; There's still going to be a fair bit of assembly to put it all together into a working project... But it covers the major circuits - so you get down to little more than pin to pin wiring...

M

medi-useA

This I understand Hephaestus...I'm a disability pensioner...I have ooodles of time to devote to this project {within reason}.
I like the challenge and every few years I get off my arse and learn something new.
NOW is the time!:)

muA

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Why devise some extensive conveyor system when you can just use contactors to change the lamps to a different room every 12 hours?????

Build instructions can be found in the link in my sig line :joint:

gardenlover

I saw that some had mentioned Growtronix earlier, and I just wanted to say

DO NOT BUY GROWTRONIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had ordered the system and then started to order components that were always being deliver way after ordering. I ordered the $400 TDS and PH meter and finally called after 6 months and he said he would ship it soon. anyway long story short a year later he said he shipped is but could not provide shipping receipt. in Short this is one guy building these things once he receives your money with piss poor customer service! Please do not waist your time with this company! I have emails I cam PM if you would like to decide for your self too. So basically I spent about $1000 for an incomplete system because I refuse to give home any more money. Sorry for the rant guys but that sill gets my goat.

M

medi-useA

I saw that some had mentioned Growtronix earlier, and I just wanted to say

DO NOT BUY GROWTRONIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had ordered the system and then started to order components that were always being deliver way after ordering. I ordered the $400 TDS and PH meter and finally called after 6 months and he said he would ship it soon. anyway long story short a year later he said he shipped is but could not provide shipping receipt. in Short this is one guy building these things once he receives your money with piss poor customer service! Please do not waist your time with this company! I have emails I cam PM if you would like to decide for your self too. So basically I spent about $1000 for an incomplete system because I refuse to give home any more money. Sorry for the rant guys but that sill gets my goat.

gardenlover-> Bummer on the Bad Experience man...I hate ppl who screw customers around
...It's bad for their whole business spectrum
...Customers talk on sites like this and word gets out...

Was it a grow shop or a registered dealer?
I would think there are ppl out there who would rip off someone if they think they can get away with it.

This guy seems like one of those.

But Bad{really, really Bad} Service aside, what components did you order?
What ones did you get?
Did they Work up to Expectations?
$400 for TDS/EC/ph measuring! Wow!
did it adjust the ph or add nutes?

muA

nice find! that would work but probably not for what iv got in mind. they're pretty bulky(im running out of room quick), and they're also controllers. the only temp controll will need to be with the two fans one on the light and the other on the ballast, if i understand Heph correctly those functions should be taken care of with the grow shield. i would like a seperate lcd screen so that all thats being monitored can be easily seen at once but its not necesarry.