What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflowers & EazyPlugs

Maxl1

Hello, i have a question regarding the germination of autoflowers.

Usually i germinate the autoflower seeds directly in a 11l pot with a little potting soil at the top.
With this method i have about 80% sucess.

Now i want to improve my germination rates using EazyPlugs.

I have read that transplanting autoflowers should be avoided.
I want the best possible start for my plants with no risks of stressing the seedling.

What would you recommend?
Germinate directly in 11l pot or using EazyPlugs?

Thanks in advance!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

Usually i germinate the autoflower seeds directly in a 11l pot with a little potting soil at the top.

I want the best possible start for my plants with no risks of stressing the seedling.

Thanks in advance!
Ez plugs are expensive and are no better than good soil. If you germanate your seed in dixie cups with quality soil you can achieve 98% to 99% success. The trick I use is to first weigh the cups dry and then wet to learn what the water hold capacity is. I always write both weights on the top of the cup and only water as needed. Knowing the heavy water weight and the light water weight will allow you to keep from over or under-watering. I first keep the cups wet until I see a sprout then I hold back and let the soil dry so the roots will fill up the cups. I allow the water weight to drop down to 20 grams above the dry weight before watering. I have 100% success and have for the past 18 years. Good luck friend I hope you have success.

Maxl1

Ez plugs are expensive and are no better than good soil. If you germanate your seed in dixie cups with quality soil you can achieve 98% to 99% success. The trick I use is to first weigh the cups dry and then wet to learn what the water hold capacity is. I always write both weights on the top of the cup and only water as needed. Knowing the heavy water weight and the light water weight will allow you to keep from over or under-watering. I first keep the cups wet until I see a sprout then I hold back and let the soil dry so the roots will fill up the cups. I allow the water weight to drop down to 20 grams above the dry weight before watering. I have 100% success and have for the past 18 years. Good luck friend I hope you have success.
So you transplant your Autoflowers? I read very often that you should germinate in the final pot. I grow only outdoor with automatics. When i germinate in the final pot i have 80% sucess with Sweet Seeds & Seedstockers. Yields are great under the south german sun (~70-80g per plant) but i want to improve my germination rates. Its very laborious to germinate in 11-15l pots but i have the fear that if i transplant them my plants will be very small with poor yield. I rely on my yearly harvest, so im careful with experiments.

Maria Sanchez

Thanks in advance!

You can transplant autos just fine but do so quickly, don't let their roots start hitting the edges or getting root-bound.
It's still best to start in something big or their final pots if you can.
You can always put a plug into the center of your big pot from the start if you want.
But I don't find plus have much higher germ rates than regular potting mix or coco coir mix.
Start more seeds than you need and cull / select for the strongest.
Sweet and Seedstockers are maybe 5-10 euro per seed, for 70-80 g of flower, it's worth it!
If you want bigger yields, some longer flowering strains would do better in 15l or 20l pots.