What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Autoflowering Guide

-~Wind Walker~-

@BuddhaSeeds, what do you think ...Supercropping?

CW, I tried both supercropping and LST.

I supercropped successfully once. The other times the branch just grew back to its orignal spot and slowed bud development. Very recently I have been very careful to not over do the bending, snapping, squishing etc. involved with SC. My experience has been due to the short time frame and rapid growth, that SC can be ineffective and slow growth due to the damage the plant is repairing. Besides, it seems like with the rudarius (sp??) / hemp genetics that the stalks and branches are um more bendy, thicker, fiberious and rope like i guess:dunno: and just go back to the original area they started from.

LST is the way to go. I have used bambo stakes, chop sticks, bungi cords, fake flower arranging wire from hobby store, large pipe cleaners (again hobby store), heavy duty rubber bands, heavy duty rubber straps, commercial ties from hardware / grow center, etc. They all have worked extremely well for me.

Here is the thing, once I tie the plant down in the stretch stage the plant will basically take the shape of the LST that you have done.
At that stage I either, release or untie the LST'ed branch(es) and sculpt another area, or just untie her and let her go wild!

I have an Ogre right now with 4 main colas and at least 6 secondary bud sites!

Finally, I have seen SCROG be effective with autos as well, but never have done it.

Good luck,
-~WW~-

coolbud

puffin' the herb
You guys take autos to serious like its some sort of other thing then the normal varieties , cut the bullshit and grow it like the normal ones except the light schedule , give it 24/0 light till she's ready to harvest and feed her just like a normal plant and you will be fine , you can lst , scrog or w/e.auto's don't need pots bigger then 10L till they finish , 10l is more then enough.
So stop making all these fancy threads telling us like you know everything about auto's cuz you dont.Mr Buddha your grow schedule sucks , ever since i started growing auto's i grew them 24/0 with no problem why is your light schedule 20/4 ? Don't tell me "She needs time to sleep" :)
If people would have knew how good are auto's including yeld/flavour/quality they prolly try em but they get missguided by stupid threads just like this 1.
Good luck and don't hate the player , hate the game.

B

boho

It would seem to me the point is stacking time over light period with AF. Perhaps coolbud is right doing anything less is like shooting yourself in the foot to save what a few cents to a couple bucks an hour.

To put it another way, a use of autoflowering is to be able to flower under the most light possible because the plant can use it. Electricity is cheap in comparison to plant yield, why pinch a few dollars and loose many more in yield. It's counter-intuitive to what the design and intent of the plant is.

As for rest... ask the plant in Alaska in summer if they need rest or if they are the world record holder's in size because of all the light they get in a short time. Just saying nature certainly provides the answers.

Mr.BigMama

Hello Buddha Seeds,
I am going to grow outdoor your Magnum!
Could you give me some advice to get the best from this genetic?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the successive planting of AF's. Too, easy to conceal, moving buckets when having a bbq, party.

Been working on my own strains last 4 yrs. They rival or exceed waiting patiently for photos to finish. Interesting hobby, no doubt!

BuddhaSeeds

First, thanks a lot for the comments.

@budchopper and @Mr.BigMama
Magnum is our newest autoflowering strain.
Here you can see an organic grow journal of Magnum from a spanish cannabis grower whot send us some pictures and dates:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRfvKoPFYDE

We're going to add some pictures for you can see this strain and others.
And if you need more info about this strain feel free to write a private message or continue ask us.
Here you are some recommendations for grow this strain: http://www.buddhaseedbank.com/principal.php?lang=ing&foto=res&var=Magnum

@boho

At day plant uses inorganic nutrients (minerals in the soil, CO2,...), with ligth on create organic nutrients (sugars) and release O2 and water.
At nigth the plant uses these nutrients to 'build' structures and tissues (growth), and get O2 releasing CO2.
So It's good more hours for autos, but they need a 'dark period' too.

@cheapwine
We don't recommend any type of pruning or tie with autoflowering strains, for its short life cycle.
This could stress plants and reduce their production.
The autoflowering have a short period of growth, therefore we recommend using a nutrient-rich substrate,
and plant the seed, once it has germinated, in the final pot.
With a rich substrate wouldn't need special fertilizer for growth, except in special cases where the plant demands it.
Also don't recommend any specific brand of nutrients. Nutrients can be administered how each grower prefer.

@Coolbud

We recommend that plants need 'slep' because it depends of the strains.
There are auto strains that for its short life cycle could grow perfectly without 'sleep' because not enough time to get stressed.
But others strains like Magnum (foe example) if don't have a rest period could be affect in its production because its time to harvest is longer.
We think that the increase in light hours isn't profitable on the production compared, and it's better let the plants have a period of darkness.

Your grow journal looks great! But we write our opinion after the testings done for a long time.

@WindWalker
We don't like do LST and Supercropped with autos, but if your experience was sucessfull, continue your way.
The branches should not return once take off the guides, and if we add the short cycle of AF's, nothing would happen because untie the branches.

@aridbud thanks for your comment! We share the same hobby!
Have a great future auto-crops friend! :)

Have a great weekend!
:smoke out:

finallylegal

lighting question for coolbud and buddah

lighting question for coolbud and buddah

as i was reading buddah's original note i wondered why the short days and also why HPS and not MH. When i read coolbud's response it seemed to make sense but he did not disagree regarding the use of HPS. Is there agreement that HPS should be used during entire grow life cycle?

The only times i've grown autos before they started under flouros and then went outside. Heavy morning dew made bud rot far too likely so i tried switching from 18/6 under flouros to 12/12 under HPS. Neither method worked - big plants outside with mold or small plants with low yield.

Am in a cold climate and thinking about trying a basement grow of some auto blueberry variety. basement temps in winter would drop to 40+ F pretty quick when the lights went out and, hopefully, encourage color change. I intended to use 600W MH or break down and buy 1000W. Anyone care to contribute on HPS vs MH for auto and 600 vs 1000. Also, is there risk of retarding growth letting temps drop so low at night?

thanks

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get a grow warming mat or heating pad on lowest temp since your basement drops to 40F. That'll keep roots warm, thus WANTING to grow. If you want color remove the mat maybe 3 weeks to final harvest. 600w is ample, depending on grow size area. What's your total grow area going to be? I've used fluoros vertically around the perimeter, MH horizontally on top. Worked great. Because AF's are not light dependent, HPS is a choice. Can you switch bulbs in same unit? During last 4 weeks, use HPS to get the red/orange spectrum. Personally, I've had great results using only MH. I now use LEDs, so greens are greener, very adequate spectrum. Prefer lower electric bill plus less heat output w/ LEDs.

You'll find what works best for your basement area. Grow on!:)

finallylegal

Get a grow warming mat or heating pad on lowest temp since your basement drops to 40F. That'll keep roots warm, thus WANTING to grow. If you want color remove the mat maybe 3 weeks to final harvest. 600w is ample, depending on grow size area. What's your total grow area going to be? I've used fluoros vertically around the perimeter, MH horizontally on top. Worked great. Because AF's are not light dependent, HPS is a choice. Can you switch bulbs in same unit? During last 4 weeks, use HPS to get the red/orange spectrum. Personally, I've had great results using only MH. I now use LEDs, so greens are greener, very adequate spectrum. Prefer lower electric bill plus less heat output w/ LEDs.

You'll find what works best for your basement area. Grow on!:)
thanks, aridbud. Good ideas. Yes, I can change bulbs and all of what you said makes good sense. Instead of buying a new HID rig am going to take another look at LED's as I blow an awful lot of heat into the attic in winter and burn more wood as a result. Would make sense to have LEDs in upstairs grow room where all the heat wants to go and HIDs in the basement going 20/4 and keeping the floor warm while the bud grows. Last time I thought about LEDs the cost shyed me away but will take another look.

many thanks ABud.....

forest.

I have tried autoflower outdoor once
But didnt have much succes , im really
Bumbed out about the final weight ,
Maybe i will try again this year

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have tried autoflower outdoor once
But didnt have much succes , im really
Bumbed out about the final weight ,
Maybe i will try again this year
Grow them with no expectations, then you won't be disappointed.
Most newbie mistakes-

incorrect size of container
transplanting injuring root system,
over watering,
over fertilizing.

forest.

Grow them with no expectations, then you won't be disappointed.
Most newbie mistakes-

incorrect size of container
transplanting injuring root system,
over watering,
over fertilizing.

Thank you , i will try again maybe this year , but for
outdoors do i need to keep em inside a few weeks ,
or directly outside , i was thinking to start em directly
outdoors so i dont have to stress em with all the

moving stuff ( 2 hour hike )

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you , i will try again maybe this year , but for
outdoors do i need to keep em inside a few weeks ,
or directly outside , i was thinking to start em directly
outdoors so i dont have to stress em with all the

moving stuff ( 2 hour hike )

Wait until your soil temp is 55 F. You can plant earlier in the ground, yet can stunt from colder temps. 5 gallon container with Wall-o-Water works well.

Oddity

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can answer... why is 18/6 better with the 600w as opposed to the 20/4?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can answer... why is 18/6 better with the 600w as opposed to the 20/4?

It's not "better". Cuts down on utility costs. We do 19/5. Autos need a rest period to uptake nutrients before the next light cycle being on a short fixed cycle, seedling to harvest. Many say 24/0. We disagree, but we've only been breeding autos, developing strains for 14.75 years. No appreciable difference with 18/6, 20/4 and more importantly, 24/0 other than utility consumption.

Oddity

It's not "better". Cuts down on utility costs. We do 19/5. Autos need a rest period to uptake nutrients before the next light cycle being on a short fixed cycle, seedling to harvest. Many say 24/0. We disagree, but we've only been breeding autos, developing strains for 14.75 years. No appreciable difference with 18/6, 20/4 and more importantly, 24/0 other than utility consumption.

Ah - the way it was written in the OP made me think I stumbled upon something new about how much light autos get and dark hours, but nope.

Thanks for clearing that up, arid :tiphat:

RdlovePolanD

Hey Bro all grow time 20/4 or 18/6 ??
It it for this time plant dont have a seeds ??
My frend have problem becouse they play for no autos ,femi or regular time veg 2-3 week 18/6 change flow all 12/12 and if we burn this shit we are see christmas light for seeds hmm help Him sorry for English i working all time for this..
Good Day. Bless