What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflower vs. Photoperiod yields per year

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also remember : too much dopamine makes people narrow !

Autos make a big difference on long term mental health .

Proof is :

Photo growers are not open minded to autos.

While auto growers are open to grow photos .

:laughing: ( more seriously because of CBD )

One thing also : The world is bigger than USA and money can be other currency than $ .

Some people are interested in fast done crosses without taking care of stability .... Stability what for ? clones only !
:beat-dead That explains the high speed of "the hype".

Other people are interesting in REAL BREEDING . And so SEEDS and stability .

Some people had seeds from their parents . And will preserve some for their children .

Some people make fast money , drug a lot and suicide .

Some people are interested in daytime medicinal effects while working and some others want to mong out on dabs in front of various screens...

Some people want to share their gears, others want to squish it all for their face only .

Some will stand up all their life and some will end in wheelchairs .

The idea of "THE BEST" fucks minds & more .

The quest of the stronger plant is killing cannabis genetic diversity a little bit more each day leading to same plant profile .

Calculating "the best profit" without considering environment is simply selfish .

Drug addicts have short term thinking . It's biological . And comparisons are toxic in general .

Smoke . Day Smoke . Night Smoke . Generations . Consideration . Respect .

JAH BLESS

:tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
How do you make clones of Auto varieties from seed?
Most if not all Autos will flower under 24 hours light, as they are age determinate not photoperiod determinate.

So how do you maintain a veg clone of an AUTO variety? Or are you just confused?

Under lights Autos do not out yield female clones in a given area.
Maybe outdoors they can if you can grow several crops of Autos in the same area or a single crop of photo determinate clones as they only have one season per year depending where outdoors.

-SamS
(I was replying to Biologist reply in Post #5) not "The_Skunkist".....

Originally Posted by WHIPEDMEAT V
the answer depends on more factor, how do you grow the photodependant varieties, always from seed? do you have clone and mother room.. it is up to you

Biologist:
The photos are initially from seed but in the future it would be clones. That would be another savings for me if I switched to autoflowers I think. My business only has a few employees so less time messing around with cloning and all that. It seems like the costs from buying autoflower seeds is negligible compared to the labor and time costs for cloning and maintaining mother plants, etc.

Last edited:

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you make clones of Auto varieties from seed?
Most if not all Autos will flower under 24 hours light, as they are age determinate not photoperiod determinate.

So how do you maintain a veg clone of an AUTO variety? Or are you just confused?

Under lights Autos do not out yield female clones in a given area.
Maybe outdoors they can if you can grow several crops of Autos in the same area or a single crop of photo determinate clones as they only have one season per year depending where outdoors.

-SamS

I was not speaking about cloning autos , but about people interests behaviour and way of thinking.

As I said dopamine makes people narrow .

Micropropagation could be a way . As you use "enzyms" to reset your embryo cells .

Of course they are age determinated , but not only, quantity of soil available and quality of spectrum make the difference .

"Under lights Autos do not out yield female clones in a given area."

This comparison is non sense .
Doing autos on 12h/12h sure ... But who does ? :biggrin:
And on 20/4h photos won't flower .
Not true under 24/0 to 18/6 and right on 12/12 .

And right, multi crops outdoor is the way . And doing your own autofem seeds is an economic advantage .

But when people think indoor or outdoor, I think mixed method ... 3rd way :tiphat:

Me ? The one confused with autos ? Sure 200% !

T.S

picture.php

picture.php

gal-skunks.jpg

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Photoperiod clones can be force flowered without light deprivation outdoors for staggered harvests similar to autoflower seeds. Slightly more effort required with photoperiod clones since they need to be put under 12/12 for about 2 weeks before placing them outdoors. Not much different timeframe compared to starting and transporting autoflower seedlings to the outdoor spot.

silverback's 60/60 force flowering thread:
He was putting 4-6" clones out in 2 gallon pots harvesting around 2oz + or - each clone in about 8 weeks.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86345

My analogous observation:

Autoflowers are like the convenient photoperiod independent offspring equivalent of breeding athletic giants with lazy overweight dwarfs.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If I flower a clone for 2 weeks at 12/12 and then put it outside it will reveg unless the photoperiod is 12 hours or less. For sure NLD most will, a very few WLD early maturing might stay flowering under long photoperiod after being exposed to 12/12 for two weeks, but very risky unless you know your clones very well and how they will react.
-SamS

Photoperiod clones can be force flowered without light deprivation outdoors for staggered harvests similar to autoflower seeds. Slightly more effort required with photoperiod clones since they need to be put under 12/12 for about 2 weeks before placing them outdoors. Not much different timeframe compared to starting and transporting autoflower seedlings to the outdoor spot.

silverback's 60/60 force flowering thread:
He was putting 4-6" clones out in 2 gallon pots harvesting around 2oz + or - each clone in about 8 weeks.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86345

My analogous observation:

Autoflowers are like the convenient photoperiod independent offspring equivalent of breeding athletic giants with lazy overweight dwarfs.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Yeah the timing is important, Silverback's method focused on putting plants out a few weeks after the June solstice in July. The days have started getting shorter by that point so the plants continue/finish flowering early/mid September.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hello all, I got 15.8 ounces of cured buds from my two Auto Malawi x Northern Lights sharing a 45 gallon grow bag. I will single plant all bags this coming season in my greenhouse.
I may test some smaller grow bags and see where the drop off of production is at for container size. So far bigger is better.
Peace. MedDakotabis

Mengsk

Proof is :

One thing also : The world is bigger than USA and money can be other currency than $ .

Some people are interested in fast done crosses without taking care of stability .... Stability what for ? clones only !

Some people had seeds from their parents . And will preserve some for their children .

Some people are interested in daytime medicinal effects while working and some others want to mong out on dabs in front of various screens...

Some people want to share their gears, others want to squish it all for their face only .

The quest of the stronger plant is killing cannabis genetic diversity a little bit more each day leading to same plant profile .

Calculating "the best profit" without considering environment is simply selfish .

Drug addicts have short term thinking . It's biological . And comparisons are toxic in general .

JAH BLESS

Not much experience with autoflowers but this is gold, thank you. :tiphat:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It really depends on the varieties, most Autos will start flowering at a certain age regardless of photoperiods increasing or decreasing, while late maturing NLD equatorial and tropical varieties will even if flowered indoors under short hours for a few weeks, start to reveg if placed outdoors in July. They are photoperiod determinate and they can easily reveg even after 8-10 weeks of flowering. I am referring to NLD varieties that flower for 12+ weeks, I have found they are easy to clone and reveg even after 10 weeks flowering, put them under 24 hours light and they will reveg 99% of the time.

-SamS

Yeah the timing is important, Silverback's method focused on putting plants out a few weeks after the June solstice in July. The days have started getting shorter by that point so the plants continue/finish flowering early/mid September.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
X

Proof is :

LITTLE IF ANY OF THE SEEDS SOLD ARE CREATED BY REAL PLANT BREEDERS, CANNABIS IS AN DIOECIOUS OBLIGATE OUT-CROSSER, AND IT IS NOT AS EASY TO BREED AS A TOMATO FOR EXAMPLE. NO CANNABIS IS HOMOZYGOUS THEY ARE ALL HETEROZYGOUS AND MOST BREEDERS ARE UNABLE TO CREATE EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT, INSTEAD THEY MAKE SEMI-RANDOM HYBRIDS AND LOOK FOR THE CLOSEST TO THEIR GOAL.
NOT THAT ALL CANNABIS IS CRAP BUT IF ENOUGH MONKEYS SPEND THE WHOLE DAY TYPING THEY WILL OCCASIONALLY CREATE WORDS THAT ARE REAL.

I TRY AND CREATE VARIETIES FOR ANY AND ALL USES, I DO NOT USE CBD MYSELF, I HATE IT, BUT I DID CREATE THE WORLDS FIRST HIGH CBD ONLY VARIETY MORE THEN 2 DECADES AGO FOR OTHERS THAT FIND CBD USEFUL.

THERE IS OBVIOUSLY "THE BEST" FOR ANY INDIVIDUAL, I AGREE THERE IS NO BEST FOR EVERYONE.

NOT TRUE AT ALL, HIGH THC IS ONLY PART OF THE PICTURE, IT IS ALSO THE TERPENE PROFILE THE %'s AND RATIOS THAT REALLY CREATES MOST OF THE DIFFERENT EFFECTS FOUND IN CANNABIS.
I AM MAINLY REFERRING TO HIGH THC REC VARIETIES.

IT IS THE QUEST FOR STRONGER PLANTS THAT HAS FULED THE SEARCH TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES CANNABIS EFFECTS STRONGER, BE THAT FROM THC, TERPENES OR OTHER FACTORS.
I SEE THAT AS A GOOD THING.
STRONGER CANNABIS MEANS LESS NEEDS TO BE CONSUMED TO REACH THE SAME EFFECTS, LESS SMOKE IS A GOOD THING, I PREFER RESIN ONLY JUST TO AVOID ALL THE SMOKE THAT IS CREATED BY SMOKING HERBAL CANNABIS WITH ALL THE PLANT MATERIALS THAT DO NOT GET YOU HIGH.

IF A MANICURED BUD IS 25% THC AND YOU SMOKE IT, 75% OF WHAT YOU SMOKE IS JUST ROPE NOT DOPE. NOT FOR ME.

BUT I HAVE ALWAYS SAID DIFFERENT SMOKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS, THERE IS NO BEST FOR ALL.

VERY FEW IF ANY CANNABIS DRUG ADDICTS, CANNABIS IS NOT PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE, IT CAN BE PSYCHOLOGICALLY ADDICTIVE TO A SMALL % OF USERS, LIKE SEX, FOOD, RELIGION, SPORTS, AND MANY MORE ACTIVITIES LIKE POSTING ON THE WWW.
-SamS

JAH BLESS

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I apologize for seeming vague I usually explain things better, i was answering in summarization. Brain has been preoccupied putting together the grow lighting science and photosynthesis threads/drying and curing threads in my signature and answering questions last few days.

Silverback's Forced Outdoor Maturation Thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82213

Silverback's Daylength and the appearance of first flowers Thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=94643

Silverback's In-Out/ Transition Schedules and Lighting Thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=107987

Silverback's This years outdoor clone program Thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112265

Silverback's Show Your Truly Early Finishers Thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98365

I made a thread with the information i gathered ^ and in a few other places awhile ago, check my profile page to view all my threads.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Silverback's thread dates back to 2008. IF that were the case (forced Outdoor Maturation) it would be the Gold Standard for all photoperiod growers and everyone would be using that technique. Sadly, that is not the case. However, show us.

Steven/nevetS

I have been trying to find a good comparison of yields per year for autoflower vs. photoperiod and having trouble. Most things just quote the yield per plant, which is useless since you can grow lots of autoflower plants in the same amount of time a photoperiod takes to do one cycle.

Anyone want to give me some ballpark figures? I'm growing autos and photos right now and really loving the autos and thinking of switching my whole operation to using autos. Can autos yield something close to photoperiod strains when you look at the yield over a whole year? Or do the photos still win, hands down?
It would cobsider on each single plant copied into any workable plan mass area, same outdoor/indoor.

Or you would have to find the lowest yielding to the highest out of each 10 or 20 pkt known on each scale and go from the average.

Is there a time limit on veging ?
Even so they are still both micro evolving in a tremendous rate.
I suppose length would win in the same arza, but if in a rectangler or other shape then both could end up covering the same area by hanging or climbing,trailing, bushing.lol
My heads sore.he,he

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone want to give me some ballpark figures? I'm growing autos and photos right now and really loving the autos and thinking of switching my whole operation to using autos. Can autos yield something close to photoperiod strains when you look at the yield over a whole year? Or do the photos still win, hands down?
Too many factors to consider- light, feeding, environment, and strain....some auto strains are small reaping little yield. Others larger can reap a good harvest, but cannot compare to photoperiod.

Grow with the idea of producing a quality plant without stressing yield. I'd much rather have a potent plant than mediocre yield.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
What a great thread to read. Sharing ideas, opinions without any fighting. So cool!
Some great links shared in post #34, I can't wait to read them later.
Peace. Merry Christmas to you all.

Latest posts

Latest posts