What's new

Auto x photo = semi-auto?

neongreen

Veteran
I just hit a few autos with some photo pollen I had frozen from last year. Anyone know what the offspring are likely to be like?

Also, what can I expect from a semi-auto? I grow mostly outdoors @ 52N.

:tiphat:

N

NewAgeGenetics

I think some plants will be AF and all will start earlier than a photoperiodic strain without any AF gens.

S

sourpuss

Im with new age... if u read mitchs auto adventure thread. Its clear that autos x photos produce what newage says.... im sure there r exceptio s and all strains dont play out the same..

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Approx. 25% will be auto first go around. Takes 4-6 generations back crossing w/ auto with auto x photo to make a full fledged auto.

@ Polish- none of the plants will be auto flower - it's a recessivegene

Not true! I've successfully bred autos with photoperiods...as mentioned it takes back crossing several generations for a stable auto when af x pp.

Oops, sorry to misinform. Read up on it and you guys are totally right - about 25% will be af still. Interesting that the others will show slightly earlier finishing times.

neongreen

Veteran
No problem Polish, and thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I also am intrigued about the ~75% that would have slightly earlier finishing times - sounds like an opportunity to create two slightly different lines from the same cross that could be suitable for various situations.

Thanks again all :tiphat:

S

sourpuss

Approx. 25% will be auto first go around. Takes 4-6 generations back crossing w/ auto with auto x photo to make a full fledged auto.

@ Polish- none of the plants will be auto flower - it's a recessivegene

Not true! I've successfully bred autos with photoperiods...as mentioned it takes back crossing several generations for a stable auto when af x pp.

Wondering if bx or selective inbreeding is the quicker way to making an auto. Have you tried both methods??

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wondering if bx or selective inbreeding is the quicker way to making an auto. Have you tried both methods??

Prefer back cross of the two methods. No "quicker way". It takes numerous generations for stability.

R

Robrites

I have been wondering about this subject...might be kinda fun to play around with. Love forums with intelligent people.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even crossing a photo with Sweet Seeds "Fast Version" projects.....it doesn't bypass Mendel's genetic law of inheritance. When crossing auto (no matter how "Fast"), with a photo period there's still that equation.

250px-Punnett_square_mendel_flowers.svg[1].png

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's still the 25% it being auto and changes each generation.

Attachments

• same_ratio_in_later_generations[1].gif
    same_ratio_in_later_generations[1].gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 20

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys,

It's possible for plants to show auto traits in the f1 cross photo x auto or vica versa, but in my experience this is rare.. I've only seen it a handful of times in for example 500 plants. @f1
But I wouldn't select these for breeding in our projects.

Generally though indoors I haven't observed any faster flowering for these f1's compared to a full photoperiod, the genetics used will play a part in that, but usual 60-75 days off 12/12 are needed for them to go full term for an indica/sativa hybrid.

Outdoors though could be different and maybe they'll trigger earlier - but as it's not a test I've done I can't say concretely.

When you make f2 seeds, and grow them out that's when you see the 25% that fully auto.

For us we prefer to inbreed all our lines rather than backcross again to the auto, we generally only want the auto trait and the traits we are looking for are from the photo parent, and I think this results in a higher quality outcome.

If you are timely and organized you can work a project to f4 and 100% auto in a year and half.

Cheers and good luck

h3sus

For us we prefer to inbreed all our lines rather than backcross again to the auto, we generally only want the auto trait and the traits we are looking for are from the photo parent, and I think this results in a higher quality outcome.

Agree on this and I think you can say by logic, that you could improve autoflowering strain by crossing it to photo and find the most less looking autoflowering plant instead of going with the plant that has structure of auto plant. This is how you get the trait of autoflowering, but you will get more structure of the photo to the plant.

I think this is the biggest reason, why auto's potency have not gone up on the public market and why some people keep finding bad autoflowering strains.

N

NewAgeGenetics

I remember to the first generation AF strains a good few years ago... most of the phenos produced lowryder looking buds with weak high.

now the AF strains are much better, but the mold resistance is still very low.

paradise seeds autos are potent but their mold resistance is the weakest of the autos, especially their Vertigo. I lost all the top buds by mold till harvest and finished with only a few lower branches! lol

neongreen

Veteran
now the AF strains are much better, but the mold resistance is still very low.

That is exactly what I've found. My first time growing autos was last year, and I started them a bit late (second half of July). They nearly finished, but I had to harvest a week or two early because of bud rot.

This year I started my first lot mid April, and we've had an unusually wet summer, so I've already had to chop half of that first batch due to bud rot. Hopefully the end of summer will be a bit less wet otherwise I'll probably end up having to chop the autos I started later before they are ready too.

I think I may try pollinating with pollen from the most mold resistant strain I have come across so far (Maroc Inspiration - which is also already quite early and potent) with my next pollen chuck - it seems like that might be the way to go.

Thanks again to all for your input - lots of food for thought :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts